PDA

View Full Version : A word to the wise---

Goldenpony
05-05-2010, 10:45 PM
I received an e-mail today warning that the road Nazis (police) here in Southern Ohio have rediscovered a ripe revenue source, front license plates. Seems the Nazis in Cincinnati and oddly enough Oxford have been writing tickets ($60) like crazy. My '06 Mustang GT has never run a front plate, but I installed one tonight. My wife's Miata has also been running plateless for years. As soon as it gets out of the shop, it's getting one too. And cops wonder why people hate them. Ohio is so backward. So many other states have only rear plates. One big reason Ohio keeps them is they're a perfect target for the Nazis Laser guns to bounce off of. God, I hated drilling holes in my virgin bumper for that damn plate. Ohio, over taxed and over policed.

stang0375
05-05-2010, 10:48 PM
yep got one tues and a $93 seatbelt ticket(for having it under my arm).

96SaleenReplica
05-05-2010, 10:53 PM
thank god that crap doesnt go on here in indiana......IT WOULD BE WAR!!!!!!!

frey_gt
05-05-2010, 11:01 PM
I think it all boils down to what you drive. For my DD I have a POS Honda Accord that looks like hell and I drove that car for 5 years with no front plate and never got a ticket. I bought my mustang and within a month I got a ticket. Whatever you do, do not go through Georgetown without a front plate. It cost me $120 bucks. I agree it's a stupid law.

Mista Bone
05-05-2010, 11:35 PM
I got pulled over once for no front plate on the old Civic.

Cop asked me where it was, Lassie stole it on Rt 129, look up the report I made with the highway patrol. Cop got kinda pissy about it, came back with a warning. I asked him how do I get a replacement front plate, already knew I couldn't.

I had hit a Sheltie @ 70 mph and it exploded the front bumper, never went back to look for the plate. I inquired at BMV about getting a new plate with my same number, not allowed. I could get a new set of plates for $56, nope not my issue.

Never got pulled over for it again.....

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-06-2010, 06:59 AM
I got pulled over once for it and i asked the cop if he realized that most new cars dont even come with provisions for a front plate. Then i pointed out that car after car after car that passed us didnt have a front plate either but hes not pulling them all over. Anymore its a reason to pull people over and nothing more aside from a reason to keep plate prices high.

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-06-2010, 07:02 AM
I think it all boils down to what you drive. For my DD I have a POS Honda Accord that looks like hell and I drove that car for 5 years with no front plate and never got a ticket. I bought my mustang and within a month I got a ticket. Whatever you do, do not go through Georgetown without a front plate. It cost me $120 bucks. I agree it's a stupid law.

exacly. Every time ive been pulled over for front plate i was in a primered mustang....hmm shaved head, primered hotrod, lets see if hes been drinking or if we can find reasonable cause to search for dope even though he was cruising the slow lane going 5 under the speed limit.

Mista Bone
05-06-2010, 07:03 AM
no front plate is PC, probable cause, easy ticket and may lead to more.

Two zip ties!

BTW the plate in your front window doesn't work either, IMHO looks tacky anyways!

duststang
05-06-2010, 07:47 AM
just got hit no front plate not to long ago. you can get a mount from moss mustangs that you do have to drill front bumper.

djom1cincy
05-06-2010, 08:01 AM
I run mine in the corner of my window. It may look tacky but better than drilling the bumper. If they decide to write me one I'd fight it. Unless the law states it has to be on the front bumper then I'd have a good shot at winning. Like stated above. It gives them pc to pull you over and look for other things.

jlt2006
05-06-2010, 08:03 AM
just got hit no front plate not to long ago. you can get a mount from moss mustangs that you do have to drill front bumper.

Bought that, If you have a lowered vehicle, it is about 1 inch even lower. I have it laying on the front floor. Hope that, "it was knocked off yesterday". will get me a warning ticket.

JIMS SVT
05-06-2010, 09:11 AM

Your Mom said to put one on the firebird...haha.

cstreu1026
05-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Bought that, If you have a lowered vehicle, it is about 1 inch even lower. I have it laying on the front floor. Hope that, "it was knocked off yesterday". will get me a warning ticket.

That might get you more trouble if the car is lowered. I am reasonably sure there are standard for bumper height and being too low or two high could get you an additional ticket. It is a BS law though. Some folks in state government should get some credit for trying to do away with them a few years ago but OHP pissed and moaned about it despite the millions of dollars it would have saved the state. Maybe next time they should threaten to cut the number of officers instead if they want to keep the plates.

2000GT
05-06-2010, 09:50 AM

Yea fuck georgetown. they pull me over ever time i go through there in the mustang. i got a couple ticket for loud exhaust in georgetown, just going through town.

Black Horse
05-06-2010, 09:56 AM
I got pulled over in Oxford for having "tinted" covers over my plates. They really are not, just one is so badly fogged from the sun and elements that it looks frosted. He also jumped me for having taillight covers - mine are not the smoked covers rather they are the clear with the black mesh paint (looks very dark).

I asked him at what distance the law stated he needed to be able to see my brake lights, he marched back about 50 yards, I hit the brakes and he was kind enough to apologize. He gave me a verbal warning for the front plate cover and let me go.

I hate to say it, but if I was college aged and had any attitude, I think the outcome would have been a lot more expensive.

Stangman
05-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Whatever you do, do not go through Georgetown without a front plate. It cost me $120 bucks.

Are you serious?!?!?

wow...

Seems like Georgetown, Bethel, and Newtown cops are a bunch of you know whats when it comes to petty stuff like that.

I once had a newtown cop follow me from one end of newtown to the end of his jurisdiction as you go up the hill towards eastgate... I was driving the extremely LOUD lincoln and kept my foot as far out of it as possible without making it shift up or down... LUCKILY the lights were in my favor and I never had to stop... if he woulda heard that thing come up thru the RPM's I would have for sure gotten a ticket. And I bet he was following me because I was in a big, loud car, with the front end sitting down, probably thought I was some punk from the hood.

Now as for Georgetown, I know my limits over there... same with Bethel...

Yea fuck georgetown. they pull me over ever time i go through there in the mustang. i got a couple ticket for loud exhaust in georgetown, just going through town.

Dude how loud is your car? My black GT is pretty loud and *knock on wood* they NEVER bother me about it... weird

Its about to get louder too so hopefully they arent around when I go through there, lol

2000GT
05-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Dude how loud is your car? My black GT is pretty loud and *knock on wood* they NEVER bother me about it... weird

Its about to get louder too so hopefully they arent around when I go through there, lol

they just dont like me i guess. lol

Markcore
05-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I got pulled over once for no front plate on the old Civic.

Cop asked me where it was, Lassie stole it on Rt 129, look up the report I made with the highway patrol. Cop got kinda pissy about it, came back with a warning. I asked him how do I get a replacement front plate, already knew I couldn't.

I had hit a Sheltie @ 70 mph and it exploded the front bumper, never went back to look for the plate. I inquired at BMV about getting a new plate with my same number, not allowed. I could get a new set of plates for $56, nope not my issue.

Never got pulled over for it again.....

Thank you for the this great loophole! :bigthumb

Gene
05-06-2010, 10:35 AM
I once had a newtown cop follow me from one end of newtown to the end of his jurisdiction as you go up the hill towards eastgate... I was driving the extremely LOUD lincoln and kept my foot as far out of it as possible without making it shift up or down... LUCKILY the lights were in my favor and I never had to stop... if he woulda heard that thing come up thru the RPM's I would have for sure gotten a ticket. And I bet he was following me because I was in a big, loud car, with the front end sitting down, probably thought I was some punk from the hood.

Any time I ride through Newtown on the Ducati, I wind up with a cop on my tail until I get out of town.

Honestly, this is one of the nice things about living in the City of Cincinnati. The cops have much bigger things to worry about than a loud car or no front tags.

cobraman302
05-06-2010, 10:38 AM
In the 9 years I have been driving (majority without a front plate) I just got pulled over last year once in my Audi coming through Bethel. Cop gave me a warning and told me that all cops are starting to crack down on it, especially the state highway patrol. Never put a plate on and have never gotten a second look from a cop since, we will see how long I got with the Cobra before I have to get a front plate.

djom1cincy
05-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Can someone look up and post the law. I'm interested in the wording. I've been trying to look it up on my phone but it sucks.

cobraman302
05-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Can someone look up and post the law. I'm interested in the wording. I've been trying to look it up on my phone but it sucks.

This is what I could find on a uick search while at work.

4503.21 Display of license plates and validation stickers or temporary license placard or windshield sticker.

(A) No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker issued under sections 4503.19 and 4503.191 of the Revised Code, furnished by the director of public safety, except that a manufacturer of motor vehicles or dealer therein, the holder of an in transit permit, and the owner or operator of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, manufactured home, mobile home, trailer, or semitrailer shall display on the rear only. A motor vehicle that is issued two license plates shall display the validation sticker only on the rear license plate, except that a commercial tractor that does not receive an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the validation sticker on the front of the commercial tractor. An apportioned vehicle receiving an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the license plate only on the front of a commercial tractor and on the rear of all other vehicles. All license plates shall be securely fastened so as not to swing, and shall not be covered by any material that obstructs their visibility.

No person to whom a temporary license placard or windshield sticker has been issued for the use of a motor vehicle under section 4503.182 of the Revised Code, and no operator of that motor vehicle, shall fail to display the temporary license placard in plain view from the rear of the vehicle either in the rear window or on an external rear surface of the motor vehicle, or fail to display the windshield sticker in plain view on the rear window of the motor vehicle. No temporary license placard or windshield sticker shall be covered by any material that obstructs its visibility.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

93RedNotch
05-06-2010, 11:55 AM
I got pulled over leaving a car show because I had my liscense plate in my windshield. I dont have front holes in my car and Im not putting holes on my car. When I got pulled over, the cop told me that it is illegal to do that and that I need to put holes in my bumper and mount the plate on the front. He told me to get it on asap and then let me go. I now just have it laying on my floor and have never had any problems since. I have even been pulled over with my plate laying on the floor and the cop didnt say anything. I guess it really depends on the cops where you live/drive.

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-06-2010, 06:39 PM
I put the front plate on my Festiva this morning just for good measure. I'm practically invisible in that car though.

beefcake
05-06-2010, 10:11 PM
I guess I have been lucky. I haven't run a plate hardly on any vehicle for the last 10 years or so, i always run illegal tint as well.

I have been pulled over 1 time near norwalk for the plate and tint, and got a ticket for the tint.

My cars are loud, extremely loud at that. Knock on wood, guess i've been lucky.

This is what I could find on a uick search while at work.

4503.21 Display of license plates and validation stickers or temporary license placard or windshield sticker.

(A) No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker issued under sections 4503.19 and 4503.191 of the Revised Code, furnished by the director of public safety, except that a manufacturer of motor vehicles or dealer therein, the holder of an in transit permit, and the owner or operator of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, manufactured home, mobile home, trailer, or semitrailer shall display on the rear only. A motor vehicle that is issued two license plates shall display the validation sticker only on the rear license plate, except that a commercial tractor that does not receive an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the validation sticker on the front of the commercial tractor. An apportioned vehicle receiving an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the license plate only on the front of a commercial tractor and on the rear of all other vehicles. All license plates shall be securely fastened so as not to swing, and shall not be covered by any material that obstructs their visibility.

No person to whom a temporary license placard or windshield sticker has been issued for the use of a motor vehicle under section 4503.182 of the Revised Code, and no operator of that motor vehicle, shall fail to display the temporary license placard in plain view from the rear of the vehicle either in the rear window or on an external rear surface of the motor vehicle, or fail to display the windshield sticker in plain view on the rear window of the motor vehicle. No temporary license placard or windshield sticker shall be covered by any material that obstructs its visibility.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

I don't see anything that says front bumper, I see "visible"

Squale iii
05-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Got harassed about no plate a bunch for a year or so...finally got a $100 ticket on 675 for no plate, decided to buy the $20 mount.

Kevin1989
05-06-2010, 10:44 PM
i got pulled over in the truck 3 months ago on 275 on the way to beechmont. cop asked where it was i told him behind my seat because i put it on another vehical to take it to sell it.... he didnt like that. but he also asked why i put my seat belt on after i passed him which was a bull shit claim i ALWAYS wear my seat belt. he let me off with a warning for seat belt 75 in a 65 and front plate. Still dont have it on either cars. and its never going on the mustang. its a stupid fucking law, both my parents work at the police staition here in mason thugh:D

redfirepearlgt
05-06-2010, 10:46 PM

I will never understand why cars can be sited for loud exhaust and you can be sited for not wearing a seatbelt, but you can run straight drag pipes or those god awful fishtails on a Harley that would wake up the Spawn of Satan in Jackson Mississippi on a Saturday night plus ride without a brainbucket and you have no issues. I know Ohio is a no helmet state, but what ever happened to freedom of choice with respect to seatbelts? The whole issue with seatbelts and exhaust on 4 wheel vehicles is nothing more than a money scam for Ohio.

BigBadStang
05-06-2010, 11:00 PM
I will never understand why cars can be sited for loud exhaust and you can be sited for not wearing a seatbelt, but you can run straight drag pipes or those god awful fishtails on a Harley that would wake up the Spawn of Satan in Jackson Mississippi on a Saturday night plus ride without a brainbucket and you have no issues. I know Ohio is a no helmet state, but what ever happened to freedom of choice with respect to seatbelts? The whole issue with seatbelts and exhaust on 4 wheel vehicles is nothing more than a money scam for Ohio.

I've been bitching about this same thing for about 20 years! If I were to take an open header car around the block and passed a cop, I GUARAN-FUCKIN-TEE I'd get pulled over no matter how I was driving. BUT, a straight pipe Harley or a loud ass rice grinder goes ripping through the gears, and it seems like most cops couldn't care less.

Redfire...you hit it on the head when you mentioned money being the driving force to push this crap along...all under the guise of 'safety'.

chris91
05-06-2010, 11:02 PM
About 4 years ago I was pulled over for no front plate and had a nice conversation with the Clermont County Sheriff. He told me how he noticed a car coming the opposite direction on 32 that had their front plate mounted on their passenger side sun visor and how it was clearly visible and was completely legal since it was so visible. Since then, I have had mine mounted there with two velcro strips from one of those sun visor cd holders. Never had a problem since.

Foxxx5oh
05-07-2010, 12:38 AM
About 4 years ago I was pulled over for no front plate and had a nice conversation with the Clermont County Sheriff. He told me how he noticed a car coming the opposite direction on 32 that had their front plate mounted on their passenger side sun visor and how it was clearly visible and was completely legal since it was so visible. Since then, I have had mine mounted there with two velcro strips from one of those sun visor cd holders. Never had a problem since.

I really like that idea! but since i moved to Louisville, my front plate gets to go bye bye :D

cstreu1026
05-07-2010, 08:55 AM
I got stopped in my 95 Neon for not having one by a OHP officer. He asked why I had no plate and I said because the car was just painted and I hadn't put it on yet. You still smell the solvent in the paint. He wrote me a warning, told me to have a nice day, and we both went on our way.

Pitbull1052
05-07-2010, 09:28 AM
i got pulled over in the truck 3 months ago on 275 on the way to beechmont. cop asked where it was i told him behind my seat because i put it on another vehical to take it to sell it.... he didnt like that. but he also asked why i put my seat belt on after i passed him which was a bull shit claim i ALWAYS wear my seat belt. he let me off with a warning for seat belt 75 in a 65 and front plate. Still dont have it on either cars. and its never going on the mustang. its a stupid fucking law, both my parents work at the police staition here in mason thugh:D

Hmmm I seem to remember that day :lol:

djom1cincy
05-07-2010, 09:32 AM
I've thought about doing mine that way. Just flip it down on the road and up when you park.

Stangman
05-07-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm waiting to get tagged when the Lincoln comes back on the road... I'm getting custom plates for it, but I'm not going to run a front plate! If I get pulled over... I'll tell em it was a rebuilt total and the front end was wiped off of it!

Goldenpony
05-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Well, I got both my cars "legal" now.

Whenever I come back into Ohio from another state, I can always tell because there's a damn roadside tax collector every mile or two watching. It's all about the money. Any body that says it's about public safety is a liar.

I used to have a lot of respect for the boys in blue. No more. Most of them are just tax collectors, pimps for the insurance companies and bullies. :mad:

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-07-2010, 06:34 PM
One of the officers who pulled me over and gave me a warning for having my plate in the window, told me a story about a guy getting killed by the plate itself in a car crash. This to me sounded a little too much like "Final Destination" scare tactics. I have it tucked up in the front valance now where it's visible but not sticking out like a sore thumb.

Blackout
05-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Just so everyone knows... Ohio is one of the most leinent on the vehicle laws. There fees and regulations are also on the bottom end of the list. Be glad you don't live in the new england area like New york and RI, Conneticut even Pensylvania. It cost hundred and hundreds of dollars for each car.

My way to get away with out the front plate is to put it up in the front window. Correct me if I am wronge but I don't think that the law states that the plate has to be mounted to the front of the car.

Johnny O
05-07-2010, 08:35 PM
I got pulled over about a year ago for not having a front plate. I told that cop that the saleen bumpers need a Plate bracket and that mine was on back order in Cali lol. He bought it and gave me a warning. I also got pulled over without my bumper cover on. That cop said you need a bumper and i told him that the crash bar was still on the front....Then he tried to get me for my front plate so I got it from under my seat and ziptied it to my grill and got away with a warning!! I have a feeling that the third will not be so pretty. If they are giving plate tickets then most likely they are giving window tint tickets too.