PDA

View Full Version : Car is damaged, need your help

USMCPONY
05-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Yesterday evening I went to a do it yourself car wash (Next to Amelia cleaners). When I finished I get in my car and start pulling out of the bay. Im pulling out very slow since there is other cars in the lot and I really cant see much. As soon as the nose of my car exits the bay i feel my car suddenly drop and I feel my car bottom out. It pissed me off a little but I continued to pull around to the front to dry off my car. As I start drying off my driver side I notice my side skirt popped out and about 1-2 inches of paint chipped off. I just had my car repainted and it literally cost me $10,000 (very long story). I walked over to the bay and there is a 12" diameter pot hole filled with water. I start scooping the water out and the pothole is anywhere form 4-6 inches deep. My question is, isnt a place of bussiness suppose to maintain their parking lot? Will they be held responsible for the damage? What are my options? My car has the Cervinis kit and Eibach pro kit springs. Thanks for your time.

cobra429boss
05-10-2010, 11:02 AM
a car like that should be hand washed , no way in hell i would take it to a car wash.. goodluck

Maximus
05-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Yesterday evening I went to a do it yourself car wash (Next to Amelia cleaners). When I finished I get in my car and start pulling out of the bay. Im pulling out very slow since there is other cars in the lot and I really cant see much. As soon as the nose of my car exits the bay i feel my car suddenly drop and I feel my car bottom out. It pissed me off a little but I continued to pull around to the front to dry off my car. As I start drying off my driver side I notice my side skirt popped out and about 1-2 inches of paint chipped off. I just had my car repainted and it literally cost me $10,000 (very long story). I walked over to the bay and there is a 12" diameter pot hole filled with water. I start scooping the water out and the pothole is anywhere form 4-6 inches deep. My question is, isnt a place of bussiness suppose to maintain their parking lot? Will they be held responsible for the damage? What are my options? My car has the Cervinis kit and Eibach pro kit springs. Thanks for your time.

They SHOULD but if you pull onto their property, you assume all risk to your vehicle. Especially since you have a "Modified" suspension.
No.
Pay the guy that overcharged you on your paint job to fix it and be more careful.
Good Luck.:bigthumb

USMCPONY
05-10-2010, 01:28 PM
They SHOULD but if you pull onto their property, you assume all risk to your vehicle. Especially since you have a "Modified" suspension.
No.
Pay the guy that overcharged you on your paint job to fix it and be more careful.
Good Luck.:bigthumb

It was a insurance job. The guy I had paint it originally f'ed it up. Boitnotts had to strip off all the paint and repaint the entire car. A stock camaro ss pulled in behind me and he scrapped as well. My car does fine on public roads its just extreme cases like this that my car scraps. IMO if I owned a bussiness that is designed to make your car look nice (car wash) and the lot is so bad it damages my customers cars I would pay to the damages and fix the lot. Just my opinion. Thanks for the help.

DeckerEnt
05-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Bring the pothole to the attn of the owner of the car wash. You can tell him that by using his facility your car was damaged but there are probably signs all over the place telling you everything is at your own risk. Lawyers love signs.

Katmandu
05-10-2010, 01:46 PM
If it was mine, I would go back to the car wash ASAP and start taking pictures of that hole!

If it's over $400 in damage, I would get a Police Accident report filed as well.

Get (3) Insurance estimates while your at it.

I would talk to your Insurance Agent and get their advise as well.

facemelter71
05-10-2010, 02:00 PM
You dont have to get three estimates.One will be just fine.

PonymanfiveO
05-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Scrap it and buy a Chevy.

Paul408Notch
05-10-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm sure there's a sign saying that the owner of the car wash assumes no responsibility. When the car wash up the street at the BP station ate the clear coat off of 2 of my VW wheels, I was pissed, but I knew there wasn't a damn thing they'd do about it. Sure it was their fault for not having the rubber strips on the wheel guides like they're supposed to, but there was a sign, and it would have done me no good whatsoever.

Johnny O
05-10-2010, 06:46 PM
I gotta plan.... Grab some touch-up paint, a case of beer and come over to my place. I'll touch it up and if i do a shitty job...well thats why i said bring beer.:drunk:

CNTLOSE
05-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Police do not take accident reports on private property.

sean
05-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Get some pics of the hole and talk to the owner. If nothing happens from there spend a few hours on a busy day watching others damage their cars and get pics and statments from them and after you have enough tell the guy he has one last chance to make it right or your going to talk to any news channel that will listen. I know it sounds stupid but if you have enough people pissed and enough pics of damage he would be wise to fix your problem rather than loose buisness by word of mouth. Other than him being cool and helping you out your prob shit outta luck.

BigBadStang
05-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Unfortunately, your probably SOL. Every car wash I've been to has signs everywhere stating you accept all liability/responsibility. And if it doesn't state that, then it states about the business owner NOT being liable for add on's, non factory items, or modifications of any kind.

IMO, insurance job or not, had I (over)paid Boitnott (it's well known he is does good work, but is WAY high $$) to paint my car, I would never take it through a 'car wash'. Too many things can go wrong.

beefcake
05-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Like I said probably SOL on this one brother!

TurboNG
05-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Police do not take accident reports on private property.

So i can drive my truck through someones house for fun and if i get stuck on their couch or refrigerator the cops won't site me or take a report? SWEET!
:bigthumb:chug::cheers::bangwall::drool:

TurboNG
05-13-2010, 07:26 AM
I would ask for reimbursement then if that don't work mb threaten suit, then mb go to small claims mb. But anything under 500 bucks wouldn't be worth it for me, i would just pay it.

Steves LX
05-13-2010, 07:41 AM
You may be able to file it as comprehensive and it will be a no fault accident. So your rates wont go up but you may get your insurance to pay for it less your deductible. Not sure how high your deductible is or how much damage there is but just a thought.

Blackballed
05-13-2010, 08:21 AM
I would say SOL. Those car washes are a rip off in more ways than one. I used to wash my car up there but they kept rasing their prices. I went and bought my own pressure washer and it has been the best thing I have ever bought, I use it all the time.

plated
05-13-2010, 09:08 AM
the same carwash paid to fix my buddy's car when the wash handle broke while he was washing his car and gouged the shit out of the paint,go in and explaine you been washing your cars there for yrs the may be understanding all you can do is ask? goodluck and sorry to see that happen

USMCPONY
05-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the help guys. The day after this happened I went to the car wash and took pics of the pot hole and my car. I put a 20 oz bottle in the hole and put the camera as close to the ground with out scratching my friends camera and snapped a few pics. I would say 65-75% of the bottle is submerged in the hole. I met with the owner today and he seemed to cooperate. He said he has to turn it into his insurance so I need to get an estimate. He took pictures and he kept mentioning how low the car is and how the hole is "about" 3 inches deep. I guess he is trying to point out my car has less than 3 inches of clearance. I told him I talked to my lawyer and he said as long as the car is street legal Im not at fault. He also mentioned he had a 93 Saleen that was very low. While I was there a S2000 was in the same bay I was in and while he pulled out I saw him run over the pothole and I heard him scrap. So obviously Im not the only one this has happened too. I hope he isnt trying to beat around the bush. I have had so many problems with this car.

USMCPONY
05-13-2010, 03:57 PM
I also took pics of the entire building and it didnt say anything about "Use at your own risk" or "Not responsible for damages".

cobra429boss
05-13-2010, 04:14 PM
great idea