PDA

View Full Version : intake manifold

jims4.6
05-26-2010, 01:25 PM
alittle advise please. going to get a new intake for car. prices seem to vary quit a bit. i guess i just need to make sure im getting one with the aluminum crossover is this correct? im sure many of you have already been through this so any suggestions would be helpful. thanks in advance

graysonracin
05-26-2010, 02:36 PM
are you looking for a stock replacement of aftermarket? If you want a stock replacement get the one with the alum crossover for sure. Also look in our classifieds for a ford oe one cause aftermarkets are cheaply made and give you self taps to hold the coils down. Aftermarket is up to you they are all very pricey for a performance one anyway. hope that helps some. I replaced the one on my 99 it was still plastic and leaking coolant i bought one off our classifieds for an 01 and newer. You will need a new alternator bracket for a newer year if yours is 99 or 2000.

jims4.6
05-27-2010, 04:39 AM
yea going to put stock back on, but will use aluminum crossover. forgot to mention its on a 98

HawksWR37
05-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Does yours have pi heads? because i have my stock intake off my 04 with the aluminum crossover. idk if they all fit the same or not. but if you need one i have one.

redfirepearlgt
06-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Be cautious about spending money on the Typhoon intake. Accordingto a local speed shop several years back (when I had my 02), they said it is all for show with maybe 3-5 HP gain after tuning. Looks nice but no real benfit. The same seems to be holding true for the newer S197 mustangs. C&L came out with a fancy powder painted intake ($700.00+) and it is really nothing more than a beauty modification accordingto a speed shop disitributor of the product line in Northern Indiana near Ft. Wayne. You may get lucky and find a Bullit setup for thatengine which does help out to some degree. Just thought of that. The edge 2v 4.6L Bullit car was more than a dressup kit (engine wise) unlike the S197 Bullit edition. YOu might look into it.

cstreu1026
06-19-2010, 09:50 AM
I would say for 99% of the 2 valve 4.6 intakes the factory Ford 4.6 intake is as good as it gets. Unless you have at least cams and ported heads or you are running a lot of boost you will see little to no gains using anything else.

Blackout
06-19-2010, 11:33 AM
yea going to put stock back on, but will use aluminum crossover. forgot to mention its on a 98

if you go to a PI intake if you buy the adapter plates or you can "if I remember right" you can use the gaskets for the PI intake but you have to add a little RTV Silicone to the back coolant area to keep it from leaking. I havn't done it in a while but it can be done. It just takes a little messing with. Do a Little research on it. to make sure about the gasket.

bobtsgt
06-21-2010, 05:42 PM
yep no adapter plates needed. Do a nice PI intake with PI gaskets and silicone around the coolant ports. Mine worked great with my NPI heads and didn't leak at all

Blackout
06-21-2010, 11:21 PM
yeah I knew you could I just couldnt remember which gaskets you siliconed. lol. You know its nice to have someone remind you of those little things...:)

Just so you know Jims4.6 I may have a set of those adapter plates and intake here soon. I have a 98 GT that I am putting a PI engine in and the engine I am taking out has them on it. I will let you know what I am doing.

penceracing
07-14-2010, 05:11 PM
i just got a 96 gt a couple of weeks ago and learning about these engines. if u use the non p.i heads and do alittle port work can u use the p.i intake for them? and if u can, can u gain anything from it. dont know awhole lot about these engines just learning as i go.

Dirtyd0g
07-14-2010, 05:14 PM
All you need to install a PI intake on NPI heads is a little silicone and PI gaskets.
Alan

penceracing
07-14-2010, 06:38 PM
but does it help out any?? plus doing some port work to the npi heads

Dirtyd0g
07-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Absolutely it does!. You also have to change the lower tube and nipple on some models. Right before they did the swap they installed the newer tube with the older intake.
Alan

penceracing
07-14-2010, 08:15 PM
cool i will try that later thanks man. draggin50 has been helping me out to with the car to

94tchikinv8
07-14-2010, 09:33 PM
You'll definitely need the new water tube if it's a 96 with the stock engine.

-Rob

penceracing
07-14-2010, 10:00 PM
ok thanks. i notice the car has a sight miss to it now. if u take off normal it does it and also if u running 35,40 mph and punch it it does it to and then comes out of it. the motor has 146k miles on it and i notice to that it has autolight double platium in it and the plugs are kind of colored. i was just thinking it needs a tune up or something. I just wondering if someone else had any problems. also to i was told it had a 3.73 gear but it has a 3.27 gear. so i would like to trade the 3.27 gear and a ford racing 3.55 gear for a 4.10 if anybody has one.

Blackout
07-14-2010, 10:45 PM
ok thanks. i notice the car has a sight miss to it now. if u take off normal it does it and also if u running 35,40 mph and punch it it does it to and then comes out of it. the motor has 146k miles on it and i notice to that it has autolight double platium in it and the plugs are kind of colored. i was just thinking it needs a tune up or something. I just wondering if someone else had any problems. also to i was told it had a 3.73 gear but it has a 3.27 gear. so i would like to trade the 3.27 gear and a ford racing 3.55 gear for a 4.10 if anybody has one.

There could be a couple minor reasons for the car to stumble. As far as the PI intake, I have one now for sale with the adapter plates. check out the pics in the "air delivery" section of the classifieds. The PI intake is the plastic front runner but it's in good shape.

Dirtyd0g
07-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Beware the full plastic intakes they are known to blow out. I have used them before but you really need to be careful with them. A low temp thermostat helps. The all plastic ones aren't worth much at all. I would say about $35 The aluminum crossover versions are easliy worth $100 or more. I got stuck with a plastic one because Steve at hytech wanted to trade his aluminum crossover PI intake for my aluminum crossover NPI intake. Now I am stuck with a plastic piece of junk because the moron couldn't tell the difference in plastic and aluminum.I can't justifiably sell to anyone for even 1/5 of the $125 I paid for NPI intake used.....
Alan