PDA

View Full Version : E20 - 5/28

4EYED85GT
05-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Anyone going to Edgewater tonight? I am going for my first time with my Mustang. I've only been down the strip in an automatic GTP. Will be different for me, not expecting great results as I have trouble launching smoothly. I will be happy if I can run14's even if its a 14.99 Any suggestions on launching would be greatly appreciated. I am on street tires! Let me know if anyone on here is going, would like to meet some new people and get some tips! Have a great day and weekend, weather is supposed to be good for a change.

97dustang
05-28-2010, 02:57 PM
im going to be there tonight, im bringing the slow car though. Just start launching at a low rpm and work your way up the rpm range until you find that perfect point where it will hook and go without spinning a bunch

redfirepearlgt
05-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Anyone going to Edgewater tonight? I am going for my first time with my Mustang. I've only been down the strip in an automatic GTP. Will be different for me, not expecting great results as I have trouble launching smoothly. I will be happy if I can run14's even if its a 14.99 Any suggestions on launching would be greatly appreciated. I am on street tires! Let me know if anyone on here is going, would like to meet some new people and get some tips! Have a great day and weekend, weather is supposed to be good for a change.

I run on street tires. I have been told time and time again by avid racers (one running 7's NHRA licensed) not to go through the burnout box. Go around it. You are allowed to do that. Only do a burnout that turns the tires about 4-5 revs just to clean them off. Stage and run. I found that on 235-55-17's the happy point was a tire pressure of about 26psi and a launch rpm of 2200 RPM. These were factory Pirellis. May vary for you on compound and tire width. I am running 3.55 rear and as well.

Inthe end, just have fun, if you make a mistake laugh at yourself and try not to repeat it, ask plenty of questions (the only dumb question is the one you don't ask due to ego), oh and most importantly, try not to break anything. LOL!!!!

Plenty of good drivers down there that will talk with you and give you advise. I am only feeding you what I have been told and what I have foudn seems to work best for me on my setup. Enjoy your weekend. Don't forget that Tristate runs on saturdays for TNT right now as well. Same price.

4EYED85GT
05-29-2010, 11:21 AM
First trip went well, I ran what I wanted to and didnt break anything! Ran 4 times with the best being a 14.72 @ 94.27 mph with a 2.091 60ft and a .548 rt. I need some experience but I had fun! Thanks for the advice Chad!

redfirepearlgt
05-29-2010, 12:57 PM
First trip went well, I ran what I wanted to and didnt break anything! Ran 4 times with the best being a 14.72 @ 94.27 mph with a 2.091 60ft and a .548 rt. I need some experience but I had fun! Thanks for the advice Chad!

Good job. Keep at it. It's all about having fun. RT can be achieved only with practice. StevesLX (black fox w/sliver flames) is likely one of the better RT guys on the site that I know of. He can be really good help if you catch him down there one night. One of the guys directing traffic in the staging lanes once told me to go on the last yellow light. He said, "If you see the green light change to green you sat on the line waaayyyy too long.". That opened a whole new world for me. I'm not consistant by any means but the 1/2 second reactions times were a thing of the past after he gave me that piece of advice. Prior to that I was always waiting for the light to change before launching. Hope to see you down there some time.

cobradon
05-29-2010, 06:07 PM

Did u have the red mustang?

4EYED85GT
05-29-2010, 07:21 PM
I have a medium canyon red (maroonish) with faded hood stripe and pony wheels.

97dustang
05-30-2010, 01:27 AM
i saw you run, looked good man. We would have been a good race but i only made one pass and then my belt shredded. I ran a 14.6, had a 2.0 60 ft, and my reaction time was .05.

4EYED85GT
05-30-2010, 08:33 AM
I wish you would have introduced yourself, maybe next time. What was you driving? I cant wait to get back, probably in a couple of weeks, going on vacation next week.

cobradon
05-30-2010, 09:13 AM
I have a medium canyon red (maroonish) with faded hood stripe and pony wheels.

I think we lined up one time.I was in the black 88 coupe.

97dustang
05-30-2010, 01:14 PM
yea, i was lookin for ya but didnt see where you pitted. i was in the red 97 gt that is in my sig, i parked on the top of the hill nosed up to the pit lanes. Im usually there every friday in either my red gt or an 03 silver cobra.

Steves LX
05-31-2010, 11:30 PM
Good job. Keep at it. It's all about having fun. RT can be achieved only with practice. StevesLX (black fox w/sliver flames) is likely one of the better RT guys on the site that I know of. He can be really good help if you catch him down there one night. One of the guys directing traffic in the staging lanes once told me to go on the last yellow light. He said, "If you see the green light change to green you sat on the line waaayyyy too long.". That opened a whole new world for me. I'm not consistant by any means but the 1/2 second reactions times were a thing of the past after he gave me that piece of advice. Prior to that I was always waiting for the light to change before launching. Hope to see you down there some time.

Appreciate the compliment there. But there are some others on this site that you may not know but I do, and they would eat me up and spit me back out on the tree. When I am having a good night I usually average around a .015. But when i'm off I am way off. The 3rd yellow is indeed the key. But the power your car makes, suspension,tire pressure and other varibles all play a roll in R/T and when to leave and how high in the rpm band to launch. The way you stage your car is also a factor. If you shallow stage or deep stage.

The most important thing is to know how the tree works. Most tracks run a sportsman tree(full tree). Once you pre stage and stage you have 3 ambers and a green and a red. Those 3 amber bulbs light in sequence a half second apart from one another or .500. The R/T timer starts when the 3rd amber light comes on and since there's a half second delay or .500 of a second before the green light that makes a .500 light or a .000 a perfect light.

Now with that being said you have what's called drt(driver reaction time) and vrt(vehicle reaction time). The drt is how quick you react to something. The vrt is how quick your vehicle reacts when you dump the clutch or let go of the transbrake etc....

If you have a quick reacting car then you would be better to shallow stage than to deep stage. Basically when you roll up and light the first bulb. Stop and inch forward until you light the second bulb. You are now shallow staged. Now the track uses infrared beams that sit an inch or 2 off the ground. That is what triggers the pre stage and stage bulbs. So if you were to measure 1-2" up your tire from the ground. And then measure the width at that point. You will know how much roll out you have. If you are 12" at that height then you have 12" you can roll forward and you will have went out of the beam and your R/T stops. Too early and you are red. Too late and you are green but not a very good light.

So if your car is slow to react when you launch then you should deep stage and your light will be better. But keep in mind you have that much more tire out in front of the beam already and if you try to leave when you would if you shallow staged then you will go red. Your ET's will suffer a little also because you will have less roll out. Sorry to carry on with this, just trying to be of some help. Learn the tree and your car and you will do good. Practice practice practice!!!

4EYED85GT
06-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Steve, I really appreciate the in depth advice. Thanks for taking the time to explain it, really makes alot of sense. I will definately try and use the suggestions the next time I get to the track which wont be until 6/18 due to vacation. Hopefully there will be other Stangbangerz there that night. Would love to meet people in person and put faces with screen names. Once again, thanks alot!

Steves LX
06-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Steve, I really appreciate the in depth advice. Thanks for taking the time to explain it, really makes alot of sense. I will definately try and use the suggestions the next time I get to the track which wont be until 6/18 due to vacation. Hopefully there will be other Stangbangerz there that night. Would love to meet people in person and put faces with screen names. Once again, thanks alot!

I should be down there that night along with some others. We always pit behind the grandstands up under the trees right next to the staging lanes.

97dustang
06-02-2010, 12:15 AM
i should be there too, i'll watch for you guys and say hey, i usually pit almost at the end of the track