PDA

View Full Version : I drove a 06' Viper!

satan jamez
05-30-2010, 11:57 AM
My client has a 06' Copperhead addition Viper. http://www.mathewscollection.com/collection_viper.htm

He let me drive it yesterday and it is great fun. Lots of thrust in a frame that can't handle it makes for a fun car to drive around in. There is plenty out there that can be had for less and perform better I know. But the fun factor of this car is way up there. It's very streetable and gets lots of looks. A Zo6 may be a better bang for the buck but when you see a Zo6, no one cares.

Yesterday was a good day for me. Check this off the bucket list.

1986GT
05-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Cool deal man! Yeah that would definitely be fun and memorable. Especially for a poor man like myself LOL! I would be pumped too.

Walter
05-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Pimp status is high with the Viper.

cstreu1026
05-30-2010, 03:49 PM
They may not the best at any one thing but they are still way cool cars and they get tons of attention. I've ridden in one with a professional driver who was "drifting" in a parking lot and it was a blast. My wife has been lucky enough to get to run one flat out on a road course at Skip Barber Racing twice. If the parts & up-keep weren't so expensive I could see having one in the garage in place of the Mustang

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-30-2010, 05:03 PM
The hype thing always amazed me with these cars. How they attained supercar status is beyond me. It's not that they're not great cars, but like you said vs. a Z06 they're not worth yawning over let alone a ZR1, but the general public will still glance at a ZR1 and think "hey look it's another Corvette" but when they see a Viper it's special i guess because they don't have a base model type car that you see everyday.

As for parts...i seem to recall someone on here saying the front nose/hood alone is like $14k!! That's insane.

cstreu1026
05-30-2010, 06:32 PM
The Viper definitely has a tremendous wow factor and that's what makes it a supercar. The fact that it is fast on top of it helps.

ADaughen
05-30-2010, 06:37 PM
The hype thing always amazed me with these cars. How they attained supercar status is beyond me. It's not that they're not great cars, but like you said vs. a Z06 they're not worth yawning over let alone a ZR1, but the general public will still glance at a ZR1 and think "hey look it's another Corvette" but when they see a Viper it's special i guess because they don't have a base model type car that you see everyday.

As for parts...i seem to recall someone on here saying the front nose/hood alone is like $14k!! That's insane.

That was the older Viper hoods. They were crazy expensive to replace as the whole front end was one piece.

cobradon
05-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Sweet ride

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-31-2010, 10:24 AM
So is the Viper still in production? Who was it that bought the Viper program from Dodge? Are they doing anything with it yet or is it just on auto pilot? I think the whole program has a lot more potential than Dodge really made out of it...just look at what Hennessey does with them.

cstreu1026
05-31-2010, 10:34 AM
Last I heard Chrylser going to start producing them again and I even remember hearing that they were going to start work on a replacement to that they have a flagship car.

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-31-2010, 11:06 AM
Seems like i heard Penski Racing or someone like that bought the whole production program, rights and everything.

ADaughen
05-31-2010, 11:17 AM
Last I heard Chrylser going to start producing them again and I even remember hearing that they were going to start work on a replacement to that they have a flagship car.

Last I read, Fiat said it was a good platform and wants to turn it into a "shared parts bin" car. Can you see Ferrari V12 powered Vipers? :lol:

INSANEBA
06-03-2010, 11:25 PM
NICE! I got lucky enough to drive an RT/10 once, I didnt get stupid because I woulda had to sign over my first born if I broke it lol...