PDA

View Full Version : Help the new guy<<<<

Beater
06-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Well guys Ive had the car a week (95 gt 5spd ) I noticed from the get go that when starting the car the starter seemed real slow then after 1-2 seconds would get up enough speed to start the motor, I've had the alternator checker and was fine, I checked my battery with a volt meter and it shows 12.2 volts, but now I cant seem to get the starter to turn over barely at all....any ideas? I can go hit the key and it does the dead battery syndrome like a half turn from the starter and thats it. I checked the battery again with a volt meter and it shows 12.2 volts. Sorry for the long post fellows but I need to figure this out because this is my only vehicle..

Blowpastyou
06-07-2010, 03:58 PM
First check all the battery connections and make sure their clean. Then check your grounding strap from the motor to the body, the battery to the body, and the battery to motor. If they are all good then does it have stock exhaust on it? Ive seen starters do that from being hot next to headers. More than likely its a grounding issue, and/or starter is just weak and needs replaced.

RIXXX93GT
06-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Check the battery posts for corrosion and the cables. An easy test for the negative cable is to take a jumper cable and hook one end to the negative post and the other end to a good clean ground and try to start it. If it cranks away either change the cable or clean the connections real good.(sometimes they corrode inside the covering and look fine).

RIXXX93GT
06-07-2010, 04:00 PM
wow simulpost.

Beater
06-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Ive checked/cleaned most connection but I will go over them again and try the trick you mentioned with the ground wire, It does have an aftermarket set of headers and exhaust, is it common for the starter motors to get weak? and would a weak starter pull enough juice to make your car want to stall out on occasion?

Blowpastyou
06-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Once the cars running the starter is not engauged. Its not drawing any amps, so it shouldnt be causing anything to do with stumbling and stalling.

Beater
06-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Once the cars running the starter is not engauged. Its not drawing any amps, so it shouldnt be causing anything to do with stumbling and stalling.

Thanks for the info, I honestly didn't know if a bad starter would or could draw voltage even when not in use.

Blowpastyou
06-07-2010, 04:21 PM
not unless the starter solenoid is drawing amps, ive only seen them 2 ways, good or bad... nothing in-between. Good luck

Kwik92GT
06-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Even if the battery is showing 12 volts it could still have a bad cell or cells and it won't have the ass to kick the starter. Need to have it checked under load. If connections and battery are good to go it is probably time to look at the starter itself.

Beater
06-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Even if the battery is showing 12 volts it could still have a bad cell or cells and it won't have the ass to kick the starter. Need to have it checked under load. If connections and battery are good to go it is probably time to look at the starter itself.

Good point, I forgot to mention I was going to take the battery to have it tested because I know checking it with a voltmeter isnt really telling me anything about it other than it has voltage.

draggin50
06-07-2010, 05:20 PM
I just had about the same problem and I charged the battery fully then hooked up my multi meter while I had the wife try to crank it over. It showed 12.9 volts and when she cranked it, it dropped down to 5.5 volts. I replaced the battery and all is good now.

mustangrfast88
06-07-2010, 11:20 PM
i was gonna say sounds like a battery issue and possible a dead spot in the starter

Beater
06-08-2010, 11:40 PM
I put a volt meter on it, showed 12.2 and when I hit the key it went down to 3.8 volts, figures the damn battery came from walmart (previous owner) and it was bought in november of 09, good quality right there.