PDA

View Full Version : Used Zero turn what to look for?

Timido
06-15-2010, 11:17 PM
I am looking at getting a used zero turn mower. What do I need to look for as far as wear items or how to tell if the pump and motors are on the way out.

Kevin1989
06-15-2010, 11:24 PM
with the pumps i would say deff check the fluid, sounds dumb but could be a sign if its been taken care of, also when we have had them go out at work it will almost seem like its sputtering when you take off. thats all i can help you with, what kind are youbuying?

mustangboy
06-15-2010, 11:28 PM
So you gonna replace that John Deere, huh. Id say also look for an hour meter. Also I would stay away with anything with stamped steel parts, buy a commercial type and let it be your last one you buy for 20+ years.

Black92LX
06-15-2010, 11:52 PM
Stay away from Dixon Chain drives. While mine has done a hell of a job for many years it has been notorious for popping the chain and they are a PITA to put back on.
My belt drive Toro has given me zero problems

ibstrokin
06-16-2010, 01:18 AM
You may want to go to a retailer and let them know what you are interested in. Many quality lawn/garden equip. retailers have close relationships with their landscaper customers, and may know someone looking to upgrade.

Nfamus
06-16-2010, 10:31 AM
I think your better off to buy a leftover model. You know what you are getting and still get a warranty. I just got a great deal on a Gravely.

89notch
06-16-2010, 10:34 AM
I bought this new for 2200 out the door. It has worked great for me the last 2 years.
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_14101_10230_16200_-1_600000_33817

k062693w
06-16-2010, 07:16 PM
1 word ... EXMARK !!!

You will never buy another !!!

Timido
06-16-2010, 10:24 PM
the one I am looking at is an Exmark. I think it has pretty low hours and I know the guy who owns it. I think this is probably my best deal on a used one. Most of the used ones I have seen on craplist and the auto-rv trader have 1500-2500 hours on them and they are still expensive.

Kevin1989
06-16-2010, 11:21 PM
exmark is the shit, very easy to fix if stuff goes wrong... what model is it? lazer? or a turf tracer ect.

Camaro86SHOCKER
06-17-2010, 03:14 AM
The main thing you wanna look at is the deck. Thickness of the metal used as well as how its attatched. Some of the cheaper models are attatched with flimsy stamped steel parts and have a thin walled deck to save on cost. Exmark is an excellent mower. However you pay for that. Their deck design is impeccable however a little known fact is that exmark actually builds the deck for Bobcat mowers. Bobcat mowers feature the kawasaki engines which are Great engines, their also belt drive which is preferred.
Plus the Bobcat is a hell of alot cheaper. I have a friend with his own lawn business and he has a Bobcat and loves it and hes in no way good to it.
I personally have a Cub Cadet commercial mower called the enforcer. its a 44" deck. Perfect mower for what i need it for. I cut my parents little 1/4 acre lot in about 20 min and my 2 acre property at my house with tons of trees and lots of stuff to trim around, in right around an hour.
I would own something like an exmark of bobcat, but i dont use my mower everyday for a living. I'm going on 4 years with no issues at all. just some yearly blade sharpenings.
Mine is almost 4 years old used every week and it only has about 60 hours on it, to put that 1500-2500 into perspective that your looking at used, of course some of those business used ones are diesel powered.

I do agree with ibstrokin, you should talk to your local lawn and garden shop that sells mowers because their all the time trying to help their other customers unload a good used mower, usually because they take a small cut of it then sell that person a larger mower, which I would say is the most common reason for buying a new one.
I would stay away from mowers that were used by townships or city owned businesses. I have friends that say they use those til they die, patch them up and use them again. They only get rid of them when their basically dead.

Timido
06-19-2010, 06:27 PM
I should get it this week It is a exmark Hp 52 with a 23hp Kawasaki Welded looks like 10gauge steel deck. Makes my little John Deere look like a toy. Probably way over kill for me but it should last me a long time. Thanks everyone for the opinions.