PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own an electric pressure washer?

cstreu1026
06-20-2010, 09:27 AM
I am thinking about picked up a small pressure washer. I don't really need it to do a lot. I just was to be able to clean the deck, maybe removed the rubber from the quarter panels after going to the track, and a few other small projects. Are the small 1500 psi pressure washers worth it of should I just go ahead and get a bigger gas powered one?

Paul408Notch
06-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Funny you ask. I just spent the last week researching and buying one.

The electric ones are ok at best. The highest power electric one I saw was 1800psi, and from all the reviews I read, that just isn't enough. So I ended up getting a 3000psi John Deere gas model off of Craigslist for $350. It's pretty badass.

From what I've seen, unless you have at least 2600psi, you're not going to be able to get most jobs done well. The electrics will work, but they all break, and they just don't have enough ass behind them to really get things done.

If you do get a gas one, the Honda engines seem to be the best, followed by Subaru, and Briggs. If it has anything other than one of those, you should probably stay away. The pumps vary pretty widely too, but if you can find a triplex style pump, it'll probably hold up longer.

I guess you could always buy an electric one from somebody that doesn't charge a restocking fee, and if you don't like it, take it back. I'd definitely recommend the gas though. I saw a couple on clearance at Lowe's yesterday that didn't show up on their website. That could be a good place to try.

Timido
06-20-2010, 10:11 AM
The cat pump one on the classifieds is a good deal.

tcorns
06-20-2010, 10:16 AM
do gas! we had an electric unit in the wash bay at the firehouse. not did it have little pressure but it only lasted a short time even with somewhat little use.

trev

Blackout
06-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Go with a 3000 psi or bigger and you won't be disapointed. They can apsolutely clean anything and everything as long as your careful not to damage what your spraying. The 3000 psi washer and higher can easilly carve your concrete into anything you would like. They are just that crazy powerful. but yeah...do your research, I have used both and the electric units are ok if your spraying off your house or removing gum off the driveway or something buy your have to work at it to get the stuff up. Hope this helps

sean
06-20-2010, 11:36 AM
I have a K.A.R.C.H.E.R ( thats how it looks on the washer. Its electric and 1500 psi. It has worked great for me for years now. Its light and easy to get around.

BigBadStang
06-20-2010, 01:36 PM
I have both, and they are both good for what they are designed for. The Electric one is great for small light duty jobs around the house, it's easy to use and easily moved around, and has been alive now for 6 years with moderate use. The gas powered 8hp Briggs power washer I have is great for the larger jobs like NASTY decks, blowing the barnacles off the pontoon boat etc. BUT, the gas powered one is quite THIRSTY.

inferno50
06-20-2010, 01:54 PM
i use an electric one to strip the paint off of peeling bumper covers. not ones i painted i swear. the electric one does well with just 1500 psi but the 3000 gas honda one does do much better. i have seen the 3000 shread wood that was a bit soft so i would say you have to be careful.

Dirtyd0g
06-20-2010, 02:40 PM
I like using an electric one to clean the underside of cars. You still have to keep your distance to keep from hurting anything.
Alan

cstreu1026
06-20-2010, 05:08 PM
I guess I could just try to barrow a 10,000 PSI pressure washer from work but I'll have to be careful not to cut off any appendages with it. :D

I actually think I am going to try renting one first. I don't see it getting a lot of use so that might be the best option unless I find something on craig's list.

thecollector
06-21-2010, 08:50 PM
I have two right now. I want to sell one, whichever doesn't sell ill keep. One is a 2,300 psi honda, the other is a 2400 psi briggs. Both arfe horizontal shafts with pnuematic tires on tubular steel frames. Id like 225 from either one. Pm me if interested. The briggs I purchased new and it has than 2 hours. The honda has unkown hours. Both work great.