PDA

View Full Version : I WTB a Hybrid...

Markcore
06-22-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm looking at buying a Honda Civic Hybrid. Anyone here with experience with these cars?

Waffles
06-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Really? What on earth is wrong with you? lol

Stangman
06-22-2010, 01:54 PM
They make music when there are lines in the road!

cstreu1026
06-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Never driven a civic but I drove a prius and they suck plain and simple. We had it for a week and averaged 39mpg and the damn thing wouldn't get out of its own way. I would suggest looking at a TDI jetta before any hybrid. They get 40-45mpg and aren't saddled with all the electronics and protential headaches of a hybrid.

Timido
06-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Tdi jetta is a fun car I wanted to get one but they don't have big enough back seats. My regular civic here 35mpg

KB1
06-22-2010, 03:17 PM
2007 Ford Focus 2dr 5 speed, 36mpg avg. 40mpg on a trip.:)

cstreu1026
06-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Just wait, Mista Bone will be along any minute to tell you about how his 25 year old civic gets 55 mpg.

Drivermod
06-22-2010, 03:49 PM
I've been averaging 40 mpg over the last two years with my 94 Civic.

Goldenpony
06-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Never driven a civic but I drove a prius and they suck plain and simple. We had it for a week and averaged 39mpg and the damn thing wouldn't get out of its own way. I would suggest looking at a TDI jetta before any hybrid. They get 40-45mpg and aren't saddled with all the electronics and potential headaches of a hybrid.

My sentiments exactly.

89notch
06-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Just wait, Mista Bone will be along any minute to tell you about how his 25 year old civic gets 55 mpg.

And runs 12's :lol:

Waffles
06-22-2010, 06:16 PM
My brother has that TDI Jetta and freakin loves it. Only problem is the freakin reverse gear in those things. His is out now, split the trans last night.

Stangman
06-22-2010, 06:23 PM
My brother has that TDI Jetta and freakin loves it. Only problem is the freakin reverse gear in those things. His is out now, split the trans last night.

Is he going to put a steam engine in it now? :lol: J/K!

inferno50
06-22-2010, 11:06 PM

the dreaded vw reverse going out. notorious on all models it seems like. my dads 73 bug gets 44mpg lol. some things just dont make up for gas milage though. nothing like pulling up at a light next to a female and watching her laugh at you. its not exactly a chick magnet.:lol:

Mista Bone
06-23-2010, 05:46 AM
I've been averaging 40 mpg over the last two years with my 94 Civic.

Ian, are you running a chipped ECU?

What model Civic?

Might wanna see Blundell @ MD about the chip I used to run.

Mista Bone
06-23-2010, 06:06 AM

It was a 93 Civic, it was only 12 years old at the time (2005) and I only got 53 mpg on a perfect tank, average was 48 mpg over several tanks. Lets not forget the 102 chp stock motor with simple upgrades (head never pulled) made 121 whp on a Mustang Dyno, or about 145 chp.

I know you might be jealous, but ask Mad Matt Johnson about his Honda MPG increases last year running the same chip I was.

For those of you so "interested" the goals for the CRX are 13.99 NA, 50 mpg, and scare cones while autocrossing locally. Currently untuned and wrong 5th gear I'm getting 41 mpg mixed city/highway during my courier route. Getting rod of the JDM 5th gear (.878) and going with normal 5th (.771) should gain 2-3 mpg alone. Then the tune along with proper alignment and tires, 50 mpg is easy.

I hope to get caught up enough to run UMTR, that has been my plan all along. Someone has to take out the Neons right???

In closing, just remember the person who did the chip for my old Honda is now the lead tuner at MD since KenB went to Florida to work for Diablosport. If not for me a Joe'e Sabo, who knows what Dave would be doing now.

Hot Rodding is not dead, I've only chosen a platform that fits my budget and needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXU3N9wT3u0

:drunk:

Waffles
06-23-2010, 11:09 AM

You know, I wouldn't be surprised! lol

05yellowgt
06-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Have you looked at a Fusion Hybrid? I LOVE my wife's Fusion Sport. I make up excuses to go out and drive it all the time. :lol:

Mista Bone
06-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Mustang V6????

05yellowgt
06-26-2010, 12:38 PM
I don't think a stang will work for him. I'm pretty sure this is for a family car. I know its doable, but car seats aren't the easiest thing in a mustang.

CNTLOSE
06-26-2010, 12:46 PM
My buddy has a Civic Hybrid and loves it. But he has three kids now so he wishes he would have bought the Accord Hybrid. He has never had an issue or any problems. One thing to think about is battery replacement. I remember reading an article that talked about the money you save on fuel will not make up for the higher purchase cost and battery replacement...if you plan to buy new and keep it for ever.

Timido
06-26-2010, 03:49 PM
My buddy has a Civic Hybrid and loves it. But he has three kids now so he wishes he would have bought the Accord Hybrid. He has never had an issue or any problems. One thing to think about is battery replacement. I remember reading an article that talked about the money you save on fuel will not make up for the higher purchase cost and battery replacement...if you plan to buy new and keep it for ever.

Thats why I got a regular civic gets great mileage and was 7-8K cheaper than a civic hybrid or prius. You can buy alot of gas for that much money when the difference is only 10-15mpg tops

Lexstang
07-19-2010, 01:47 PM
i drove a brand new 2010 fusion when my stang was in body shop. that was so comfortable and powerful. if i was going to buy a new car the hybrid would at least get a test drive.

Mavowar
07-19-2010, 02:29 PM

Some guy that was big into camshaft manufacturing has a sweet 6 cycle 1 piston engine....one power stroke is gas......the other is water/steam expansion.....it kicks ass look it up.....doesnt need a cooling system.....would present some issue but if this tech comes to be mainstream it would make hybrids a thing of the past!!!!

Mbubby61
07-19-2010, 02:34 PM
i have a 2010 fusion hybrid n luv it,, i work for ford so pm me for details

pegasus
07-19-2010, 03:08 PM
7.3 power stroke will not use a drop of gas!!!

latamud
07-19-2010, 03:39 PM
I have an 03 Civic Hybrid, no balls but it get's me around as a daily driver. I get on it and run the AC a lot and average 48 mpg for a tank. When the wife drives it she can avg 53. I did some math cause I'm going to be driving it to Florida next month. It'll cost me about $100 round trip, total 1500 miles. I've done the trip my my Falcon wagon 2 years ago, it gets 21 mpg with the 5 speed.
My buddy picked up a Jetta TDI a few months ago, gobs of torque, 6 speed and gets same or better mileage as my civic, for $20-30K? I got the HCH used for the same price as a regular Honda. It's 7 years old with 150K+ miles. I'm going to drive it until it dies and get something else, but hey, it's paid off.

beefcake
07-20-2010, 10:22 AM
I've got a couple Fusion Hybrids in stock! ;)

cobraman302
07-20-2010, 11:33 AM
I just cant see spending the money for a hybrid personally. I have a 98 civic 5 speed and I average 36mpg with the ac on and I don't put around like a grandma. I would seriously look into a new focus if I were in the market for a new commuter. I know a guy that just bought a brand new one for about $15k and I have personally seen the new focus's get well over 40mpg highway.

beefcake
07-20-2010, 11:49 AM
I just cant see spending the money for a hybrid personally. I have a 98 civic 5 speed and I average 36mpg with the ac on and I don't put around like a grandma. I would seriously look into a new focus if I were in the market for a new commuter. I know a guy that just bought a brand new one for about $15k and I have personally seen the new focus's get well over 40mpg highway.

focus is a great choice if you don't want to spend a ton of money

cobraman302
07-20-2010, 12:17 PM
focus is a great choice if you don't want to spend a ton of money

or the new 2011 Ford Festiva......It's rated at 5mpg better both city and highway and costs roughly $3k less with a base price a shade over $13k....but it all depends on your taste in the looks department. I would even choose those over the TDI since diesel prices are rediculous.

05yellowgt
07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Just imagine if the Focus or Fiesta had a little 4 banger turbo diesel. 50-60mpg on the highway would be a breeze.

egbertnr
07-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Never driven a civic but I drove a prius and they suck plain and simple. We had it for a week and averaged 39mpg and the damn thing wouldn't get out of its own way. I would suggest looking at a TDI jetta before any hybrid. They get 40-45mpg and aren't saddled with all the electronics and protential headaches of a hybrid.

I second the TDI....I work with a guy that has seen mid 50s mpg although he drivers rather conservatively.

ADaughen
07-22-2010, 02:54 PM
My wife's '10 Mazda3i averages 32-34mpg with mixed driving. Mine tends to be a little less due to my desire for Zoom-Zoom.

A Ford Fusion should do about the same.

There is not a LOT of room for more than four with the car seats, but it should be enough unless you are over 6'3".

If I wasn't planing on kids I would get Honda's new '11 Honda Hybrid CRX or the '11 Ford Mustang V6.

beefcake
07-22-2010, 10:50 PM
the new v6 at 31mpg rocks. hell ford just averaged 48mpg out of it over 1500 miles on a racetrack

got a few more fiestas in today

cobraman302
07-23-2010, 12:07 AM
the new v6 at 31mpg rocks. hell ford just averaged 48mpg out of it over 1500 miles on a racetrack

got a few more fiestas in today

Yeahhh....that's what I meant, Fiesta!!: drunk:

cstreu1026
07-23-2010, 08:18 AM
My wife's '10 Mazda3i averages 32-34mpg with mixed driving. Mine tends to be a little less due to my desire for Zoom-Zoom.

A Ford Fusion should do about the same.

There is not a LOT of room for more than four with the car seats, but it should be enough unless you are over 6'3".

If I wasn't planing on kids I would get Honda's new '11 Honda Hybrid CRX or the '11 Ford Mustang V6.

A friend of mine just got rid of his Mazda 3. He like the car but wanted something bigger. His only complaint is that it never got good gas mileage. Normally he would see mid 20's which really suprised me.

ADaughen
07-23-2010, 10:28 PM
A friend of mine just got rid of his Mazda 3. He like the car but wanted something bigger. His only complaint is that it never got good gas mileage. Normally he would see mid 20's which really suprised me.

That is weird. I run the crap out of my 2.3L, 5MT and get good mileage. Mine sucks down gas above 3500rpms (VVT), but in 5th gear that is ~85mph. My wife's 2.0L, 5spd auto does even better at highway speeds.

One of the big requirements of upgrading from the '87 Honda Prelude was fuel economy. I had to have the same or better. Same with the wife coming from a '99 Saturn SL4. It burned oil but still got 33+ mpg.

With Lincoln reporting their MKX hybrid was going to be the same price as the standard, in the next few years the prices on hybrids should be forced down, which might make it a good time to buy in.

PONYGRL
08-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Have you looked at a Fusion Hybrid? I LOVE my wife's Fusion Sport. I make up excuses to go out and drive it all the time. :lol:

I wanted a Fusion Hybrid....or would have loved a Fusion sport. Except it is the least AMERICAN Ford out there. If it were more .U.S-made, I probably would've gotten one instead of the Mariner Hybrid.

Right now I am averaging 30.3 mpgs and have AWD. Not too shabby.

beefcake
08-15-2010, 01:56 AM
just took in a nice vue hybrid, mid size suv, retail used is almost 20, i can save someone around 5000 off!

2Kblacksleeper
08-15-2010, 03:27 AM
I had a 2000 accord v-6 coupe that would get 33mpg.

I see no point in a hybrid that only puts the same mpg. I'd take a jetta TDI over a hybrid.

People seem just to eager to taunt that oh I have a hybrid. Well ill. Tell you what pull out in front of my crew max tundra and let's see how you fair.

Sorry if I come off as a jerk right now. I'm in the hospital width my dad and I've just has a really shitty week.

2Kblacksleeper
08-15-2010, 03:31 AM
Car manufactures have held back the mpg for years.

A carbed pinto got what kind of mpg?

Too gear tested a diesel jag. Not available over here in the states that got I think mid 40's mpg. Where is that technology at?

Mista Bone
08-15-2010, 05:52 AM

Too gear tested a diesel jag. Not available over here in the states that got I think mid 40's mpg. Where is that technology at?

Incorrect.

The guberment has held back MPG while trying to get it raised. Stricter emissions led to lower NOx in 1996 while crash standards have made cars heavier to protect against rampart SUV's with idiot people no paying attention.

You want a 60 mpg car, easy. How about 70 mpg diesel, already been done, just not allowed in the USA due to new emissions IMHO meant to BLOCK the cars.

You folks wanna mock me about trying to get 50 mpg out of my CRX....while still having fun drag racing and SCCA, you should read about Chang's 118 mpg with same chassis.

http://ecomodder.com/blog/20-yearold-modified-honda-crx-hf-scores-118-mpg-fuel-economy-run/

If you care, I know few do, go back and see the little tricks I used to improve my 1/4 mile ET's, Chang used the same tricks. We have shared some info and theories.

Myself, I doubt the 118 mpg claim. The 88-91 CRX HF with it's samme fuel tank is very finicky as to which way it is tilted when topped off. It only has a 40l tank, just barely over 10 gallons. Most I've ever gotten in was 9.1 gallons.

Same ideas and theories I've been toying with for the past 10 years, think what Ford was able to do at Bristol this year with a V6 Stang. Imagine that same driveline, maybe even a bit downsized in a normal Focus.

Sorry if I want it all, or my cake and eat it too. but I know I can make the balance.

50 mpg, easy!
13.99 ET, been done.
Fun scaring cones which Chang's car was setup to do with the suspenion.

Think I'm crazy???? People thought the same of Smokey Yunick as well.

Mista Bone
08-15-2010, 06:01 AM
I had a 2000 accord v-6 coupe that would get 33mpg.

I see no point in a hybrid that only puts the same mpg. I'd take a jetta TDI over a hybrid.

People seem just to eager to taunt that oh I have a hybrid. Well ill. Tell you what pull out in front of my crew max tundra and let's see how you fair.

Sorry if I come off as a jerk right now. I'm in the hospital width my dad and I've just has a really shitty week.

I'd rock a VW Polo diesel getting 60+ mpg myself.

Also, I spent two hours in a hospital tonight myself. Some "dumb ass" from KY thought that if the traffic signals were out you could just drive right through them at 30-40 mph. He killed my best Civic. I only had 120 miles on it since the motor swap @ 260k miles. I was headed to have the AC recharged and then on Tuesday put new tires on it, not now.

I WILL be installing a camera setup for my DD/Courier cars now. Just need to figure out a way to SECURE it without building a roll cage.

If I would have been wearing a Issac today and properly belted in, an 80 mph impact at same direction would be no ill effects. But I have a mild concussion now.

Guess we'll soon all wear helmets while driving.....or biking....or walking to get the mail!

ADaughen
08-15-2010, 12:45 PM

IIRC, my carbed 2.3L got ~28mpg highway on a 4spd and 280k+ mile worn out motor. Plenty of guys are still getting 24/30mpg in their stock-ish cars.

FWIW, my Mazda3's tires are almost twice as wide at a 205 series and the car weighs over 1000 lbs more. The fuel injected, electronic throttle body 2.3L gets 32mpg or better. I get better acceleration, torque and HP numbers are 2x the old motor and the ride and handling are better.

2Kblacksleeper
08-15-2010, 03:30 PM
I could have sworn that the Pinto got better mpg? Oh well.

I'm glad you've had good luck with your Mazda. i had a 04 6 S v-6 and never saw better than 17-21 mpg. To me that is horriable for that kind of car. I didn't beat it either.

It had lots of issues. I ended up lemoning it. electrical problems, and the passenger front seat belt would lock you in. It would refuse to release.

Gearhead
08-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Think I'm crazy???? People thought the same of Smokey Yunick as well.

Are you comparing yourself to Smokey Yunick ??!!

Mista Bone
08-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Are you comparing yourself to Smokey Yunick ??!!

Have you looked into his hot air setup? I'm using what I read about it to tune a lean burn setup.

9cobra4
08-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Wow..well I run the same air filter as john force, you guys can call me john now if you want.

Katmandu
08-17-2010, 03:12 AM
Just imagine if the Focus or Fiesta had a little 4 banger turbo diesel. 50-60mpg on the highway would be a breeze.:bigthumb Now those would be the bomb! Too bad the EPA will never let it happen. :rolleyes:

Katmandu
08-17-2010, 03:25 AM
Also, I spent two hours in a hospital tonight myself. Some "dumb ass" from KY thought that if the traffic signals were out you could just drive right through them at 30-40 mph. He killed my best Civic.

If I would have been wearing a Issac today and properly belted in, an 80 mph impact at same direction would be no ill effects. But I have a mild concussion now.

Guess we'll soon all wear helmets while driving.....or biking....or walking to get the mail!Shit man! Glad you're ok!

Tell ya what....this is no friggin joke. Everyone LOVES to get those HI MPGs. I've owned a couple of those (3) cylinder 1 Litre Geo Metros. Man I loved NOT seeing that gas needle move! I drove it very conservatively on a few tanks and AVERAGED around 55 MPG! No shit! When I drove it "normal" it dropped 10 MPGs to around 45 MPGs.

Well that was all fun and games until I drove it to work through Dayton's rush hour traffic. After the 2nd day and after almost getting run over several times I said... F*** this! I soon valued my LIFE over saving a few $$$ in gas money! Those small cars with no power to get out of their own way are DANGEROUS in rush hour traffic! They are awesome where the traffic is thin though.

Better seriously ask yourself "How much is my life worth" ? Is it worth saving a few bucks in gas ? Not for me it isn't!

Still kick myself in the ass for selling my Big Diesel 4x4.... It had 400HP/940lb Torque and still got 20 MPGs! I had more piece of mind driving that thing thru rush hour traffic than anything I've ever driven in my life!

Mista Bone
08-17-2010, 03:59 AM
Thats why I like my combo, plenty of power and insane gas mileage.

13.99 on motor, swap tires and get 50 mpg highway @ 70 mph.

See what Ford did with the V6 Stang at Bristol, that was not a stock ECU program. But shows what is possible if the EPA standards are exceeded a little. Thing is if you're using less gas, less emissions, right?

Mista Bone
08-17-2010, 04:06 AM
Wow..well I run the same air filter as john force, you guys can call me john now if you want.

You mean that muzzle on his face????

Sorry if I understand this concept a lot more than you do and have proven results. While is was somewhat "of a guess" it was based on knowledge I'd gained over the years. Smokey Yunick's Hot Air Motor was what sparked my interest. I have the 1984 article scanned if you wish to read it.

ADaughen
08-17-2010, 11:28 AM
I could have sworn that the Pinto got better mpg? Oh well.

I'm glad you've had good luck with your Mazda. i had a 04 6 S v-6 and never saw better than 17-21 mpg. To me that is horriable for that kind of car. I didn't beat it either.

It had lots of issues. I ended up lemoning it. electrical problems, and the passenger front seat belt would lock you in. It would refuse to release.

The older (early 70s models may have) and the 2.0L probably did, too. Especially if they were properly maintained.

Remember, when I drove the car gas was $0.89/gallon, I didn't really care WHAT it got. For less than a current super value meal (super sized) I could fill the tank.

I almost got the '03 Mazda6, but it rode like Grandma's Buick. :lol:

It is odd a LOT of Mazda guys complain they aren't getting the advertised MPG. FWIW, during extensive testing, I found my Mazda does not like 83/85 octane and HATES "winter blend". I would loose ~3-5 MPG off the 4 octane and ~6-8 off of winter blend.