PDA

View Full Version : Painting some parts/engine bay...advice needed.

mustanger
07-10-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm using Duplicolor to paint some engine parts, radiator brackets, hood hinges, breather(old style) etc.

What type of paint should I use...ceramic, like for headers, engine paint or just regular paint with a clear coat? I also saw some lacquer clear, would the lacquer clear be better that the ceramic clear? And would you use a primer on the parts first or just shoot the bare metal and go?

I know I could get these parts powder coated but I was wanting to try the cheapy way first and see how they turn out.

One last thing, after I blast my parts what's the best thing to use to clean after I clean it with brake cleaner? I'm having to redo my breather parts because I had alot of tiny air pockets form...looked like pitting in some areas.

I'm still learning so any and all advice would greatly help:bigthumb

Gearhead559
07-14-2010, 02:14 AM
dont use brake cleaner on blasted stuff IMO.

blast it, hit it with self etching primer. then on to paint(for the parts your doing)
if its going on the motor.. use engine paint.
if your doing exhaust, ceramic (when powder coating)or high heat stuff.

chris91
07-14-2010, 02:24 AM
Everything you see in this pic thats painted the gunmetal color is duplicolor high temp. spray paint. I simply just scuffed everything down, wiped it with lacquer thinner, primed with high temp primer, painted with high temp paint, and cleared with high temp clear. It held up great and looked perfect. Just make sure to take your time. Multiple thins coats are a lot better than gobbing it on and it turning out like crap.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/blown94ls/DSCN2894-2.jpg

mustanger
07-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, pretty much the answers I was looking for.:bigthumb