PDA

View Full Version : help- motor runs rough after it warms up

mwaller5672
07-11-2010, 02:52 PM
I have a 2.3. Starts up great and after 2 or 3 minutes it runs real ruff and dies. What comes in to play after that amount of time. Would reallly appreciate this if someone could help me. I need to get this running.
Mike

Kevin1989
07-13-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm by no means a mechanic but, maybe a coil?

Stangman
07-14-2010, 08:22 AM
What year 2.3 car? in 90 they went to Mass Air, so it could go a lot further than what I mention here But sounds like possibly the fuel pump getting hot and dying or a vacuum leak when the lines get warm and soft... maybe

But, if it's just as it warms up, could be something when it goes into open loop and takes input from the o2 sensors...

Could be a number of things... Throwing any codes? how's your fuel pressure?

Bad spark plug wires?

those older 2.3's dont run the best anyway if its a pre-90... I had one in my '88 hatch before I yanked it, It ran just well enough to keep around a while.

If your coil is going bad, you can hold the coil wire off of it and see if it gives you a sort of "yellow" spark arc. A good coil should be more of a "blue" arc. Dont shock your self, lol

93LXhatch
07-14-2010, 08:43 AM
sounds like it could be a mass air meter also(if applicable) my coupe did that when i first got it and it turned out to be the maf.....

mwaller5672
07-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks for your responses and it has given me a lot of ideas and I will try them all. I need to get the car running good. It's my backup car.
Thanks Again
Mike

mwaller5672
07-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Hey I did the thing with the coil. It was pretty blue going into my finger. That does hurt a little. Not the first time and won't be my last. So far I have
new plugs
plug wires
cap
rotor
cleaned the idle control
new fuel filter
put claps on vacuum lines that seemed loose
It still runs rough after a couple of minutes of running. What would you suggest next