PDA

View Full Version : Emergency vehicle rules& right of way.

Lexstang
07-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I would like to know what the law says about how emergency vehicles can drive. I know its an emergency but i thought they couldn't break every normal persons law in the book. I don't want to rant it really concerns me that when you are creating a bigger hazard than you are helping. Last night almost saw local police officer run down a pedestrian who was in crosswalk and was in middle when officer flew up and turned onto side street. the walker was scared and started to run across out of the was then thought they were impeeding and jumped back.It just seems really convienient whenever an emergency vehicle gets into accident the other person is blamed with failure to provide right of way.

Mista Bone
07-24-2010, 11:35 AM
"with due regard".........

Springfield Twp. cop was involved in a wreck this week. Three were responding to a call, all were doing 60-70 mph in a 40 mph zone and is was raining.

thecollector
07-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Running a wrecker in cincinnati on the police rotation years ago I towed a lot of collisions w/emergency vehicles. As well as quite a few single cruiser accidents. Only a small portion get airtime on the news. The emergency vehicles should verify intersections are clear prior to entering them however the law is on their side w/ the yield wording. A fairfield fireman got in a lot of hotwater for blasting an intersection @ speed on rt4, colliding with and killing an elderly woman in a sedan. I think it was 2 or so years ago.

firestang70
07-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Running a wrecker in cincinnati on the police rotation years ago I towed a lot of collisions w/emergency vehicles. As well as quite a few single cruiser accidents. Only a small portion get airtime on the news. The emergency vehicles should verify intersections are clear prior to entering them however the law is on their side w/ the yield wording. A fairfield fireman got in a lot of hotwater for blasting an intersection @ speed on rt4, colliding with and killing an elderly woman in a sedan. I think it was 2 or so years ago.

It was because the light was red.

My bigger rant is when I am responding to a detail....People ignore you radio too loud, on the phone, clueless etc. It never fails you follow them with lights and sirens when they finally realize you need to pass they do the following... stop at the top of the hill (so you cant see anything on the other side),stop in the apex of the turn (still can't see past them),pull to the left, lockem up in front of you in the middle of the road, and oh so rarely they do the right thing and pull to the right and stop. My career department has SOGs that we make a complete stop at red lights.

Responders can make mistakes like anyone else. They can get cited like anyone else. If they don't get there in 2 minutes people will whine...it took them 15 minutes to get there...what do my taxes pay for it...

Lexstang
07-24-2010, 02:47 PM
A fairfield fireman got in a lot of hotwater for blasting an intersection @ speed on rt4, colliding with and killing an elderly woman in a sedan.

A lot of hot water is still A LOT less serious than a manslaughter charge that I would face. For police and fire at least, there is more than one vehicle responding to a call.

As the other post said you responded to many wrecks, you didn't say the emergency responder was held responsible ever and they are held to a higher standard.

Lexstang
07-24-2010, 02:49 PM
I just wanted to furthur say yes I want myself or my family helped when I call 911. But I don't want someone getting hurt or killed.

Mista Bone
07-24-2010, 05:45 PM
"with due regard".........

Springfield Twp. cop was involved in a wreck this week. Three were responding to a call, all were doing 60-70 mph in a 40 mph zone and is was raining.

http://www.wlwt.com/traffic/24360459/detail.html

http://www.wlwt.com/slideshow/traffic/24359948/detail.html

with people pulling over the cops were running up the middle of Hamilton Ave. at excessive speed for conditions. I know I couldn't hear their sirens with windows up and AC cranking, their LED light bars are a blessing IMHO.

I'll bet the officer involved was the third of the three. Cruiser/SUV/Cruiser was their order. You get over for the first cop, then as you pull back out onto the road a SUV if flying up the road, finally you get back onto the road and around comes a semi blind corner a third cop. Due to wet conditions, and at that speed, not way officer could get slowed down.

Similar to the West Chester cop who wreck into a tree at a high rate of speed.

Mavowar
07-25-2010, 04:32 AM
...what do my taxes pay for it...

apparently nothing these days as they are starting to charge you for having an ambulance, fire department, and/or police officer come out.....total bullshit....if you ask me....:flipoff:

tcorns
07-25-2010, 09:51 AM
the key, as stated before , is due regard. the other part is that EVERYONE needs to pay more attention. i can't tell you how many times we have been responding somewhere and a driver refuses to yield and let us pass. when we finally get around them, you can see that they are happily texting away and are in there own little world. i too have seen people stop in the curve, atop the hill and some of the most dangerous places that they could think of. i have also seen people try and "race" us and not slow down.
as of my end of the equation... it is a challenge in and of itself to navigate roadways with some of this equipment! my fully loaded fire engine that has 1000 gallons of water, 4 people, tons of tools and other equipment does not get up to speed and brake as well as your little 4 door grocery getter. add to that the fact that i may have a radio blaring, siren going, guys behind me talking back and forth and whatever else may be going on. there is a lot of stimuli going on those trucks and it takes tons of concentration.
it is my personal policy to stop at all lights and signs and come to a mostly complete stop at green lights. i know that people run lights all of the time and if i can prevent 1 person from being injured in an accident then it is worth the few extra seconds.
as for the young man in the rt4 incident. i don't think it is just some hot water. did he not loose his certificates? will he never be able to participate in a career that he has spent so many hours trying to get into. will he not be carrying those thoughts around with him everyday. and if i remember correctly was there jail time involved with his case?
it is not my intention to make excuses for either group, but we need to realize that all of us need to share the road. would you want me to be impeded if you or your family needed me? i know that i certainly don't want to see anyone end up hurt or killed because of the carelessness by either group.

JET50213
07-25-2010, 11:56 AM
I have lost it due to adrenaline rush before. Luckily, it was late at night and the only thing I hit was a curb! It was hell on the cruiser! I did take a spankin' for it. It was a valuable lesson. The law says emergency responders must respond with due regard for the safety of others.

firestang70
07-25-2010, 12:46 PM
apparently nothing these days as they are starting to charge you for having an ambulance, fire department, and/or police officer come out.....total bullshit....if you ask me....:flipoff:
Yeah it is, its also BS when people vote down levies for safety services.:flipoff: Emergency services are not cheap. My department charges INSURANCE COMPANIES and not residents. It is soft billing and does not get sent to collections if it gets sent to a resident.

Where I live the same levies are in place since the 70s. Most people don't understand how tax millage works in OH (no idea about KY). If you have a 5 mils levy in place (not 5 million) and collects lets say 100,000 for example and there are 500 homes in an area. 5 years later there are 2500 homes they still collect 100,000 from the 5 mils. Your taxes on that particular levy actually go down. The only way to recoup the revenue is to do a renewal levy to bring the effctive rate to 5 mils or to do a new levy. So as run volumes increase and population increases, revenue decreases. If people vote them down. A provider has a couple choices. 1. cut vital staffing 2. not purchase vital equipment 3. charge insurance companies (that you already pay premiums for) to recoup money lost on decreased tax revenue and may still have to do all 3. You are absolutely right it is BS. So educate your neighbors on supporting your local emergency providers.

Blackballed
07-25-2010, 01:00 PM
It was because the light was red.

My bigger rant is when I am responding to a detail....People ignore you radio too loud, on the phone, clueless etc. It never fails you follow them with lights and sirens when they finally realize you need to pass they do the following... stop at the top of the hill (so you cant see anything on the other side),stop in the apex of the turn (still can't see past them),pull to the left, lockem up in front of you in the middle of the road, and oh so rarely they do the right thing and pull to the right and stop. My career department has SOGs that we make a complete stop at red lights.

Responders can make mistakes like anyone else. They can get cited like anyone else. If they don't get there in 2 minutes people will whine...it took them 15 minutes to get there...what do my taxes pay for it...

Dale, I could'nt have stated that better myself. You also forgot TEXTING...

firestang70
07-25-2010, 01:03 PM
A lot of hot water is still A LOT less serious than a manslaughter charge that I would face. For police and fire at least, there is more than one vehicle responding to a call.

As the other post said you responded to many wrecks, you didn't say the emergency responder was held responsible ever and they are held to a higher standard.

Do you know what happened to the apparatus operator before making that statement? Do some research you might be suprised. Would your career end from one vehicle accident? You don't think emergency responders are held to a higher standard? Do you hear on the news when your neighbor gets a DUI (for example) maybe or maybe not. A firefighter or police officer gets one, its front page news. I have seen responders cited from accidents just as a civilian would.

Mavowar
07-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Yeah it is, its also BS when people vote down levies for safety services.:flipoff: Emergency services are not cheap. My department charges INSURANCE COMPANIES and not residents. It is soft billing and does not get sent to collections if it gets sent to a resident.

Where I live the same levies are in place since the 70s. Most people don't understand how tax millage works in OH (no idea about KY). If you have a 5 mils levy in place (not 5 million) and collects lets say 100,000 for example and there are 500 homes in an area. 5 years later there are 2500 homes they still collect 100,000 from the 5 mils. Your taxes on that particular levy actually go down. The only way to recoup the revenue is to do a renewal levy to bring the effctive rate to 5 mils or to do a new levy. So as run volumes increase and population increases, revenue decreases. If people vote them down. A provider has a couple choices. 1. cut vital staffing 2. not purchase vital equipment 3. charge insurance companies (that you already pay premiums for) to recoup money lost on decreased tax revenue and may still have to do all 3. You are absolutely right it is BS. So educate your neighbors on supporting your local emergency providers.

This rabbit hole just keeps gettin deeper....:lol: We pay enough in taxes as citizens. If the people we voted in were not corrupt pieces of garbage there would be plenty go around in the first place......that is why citizens vote down levies.....I am all for saftey services gettin the doe they need. It is just that it is already there....being wasted and I refuse to pay more as a result......

Mavowar
07-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Do you know what happened to the apparatus operator before making that statement? Do some research you might be suprised. Would your career end from one vehicle accident? You don't think emergency responders are held to a higher standard? Do you hear on the news when your neighbor gets a DUI (for example) maybe or maybe not. A firefighter or police officer gets one, its front page news. I have seen responders cited from accidents just as a civilian would.

IMO a police officer should get double the time/fine for any givin crime......that would tone down all the "cowboys":D They should know the law better than anybody save a judge or lawyer.....come to think of it so should lawyers and judges......:lol: It would steal some thunder from their famous line "ignorance of the law is no excuse":flipoff:

firestang70
07-25-2010, 01:11 PM
tcorns you made alot of valid points. I try to be safe as I can operating apparatus. You are driving a 20 ton vehicle that cant stop or accelerate on a dime. Listening to the radio for vital information enroute like cpr has been intiated on the child pulled from the pool or you can disregard its an open burn in the backyard or there is confirmed entrapment 3 children stuck in a burning house etc... If I ever was in an accident even if I was innocent of wrongdoing and someone died....I'm not sure I could ever do my job again. I wouldn't wish that nightmare on anyone.

firestang70
07-25-2010, 01:20 PM
This rabbit hole just keeps gettin deeper....:lol: We pay enough in taxes as citizens. If the people we voted in were not corrupt pieces of garbage there would be plenty go around in the first place......that is why citizens vote down levies.....I am all for saftey services gettin the doe they need. It is just that it is already there....being wasted and I refuse to pay more as a result......
How in the world do you know if money is being wasted on a local level??? Have you ever requested info, it is public information. Citizens vote down levies because they are uneducated and you prove my point. If you were all for safety service being supported you would attend local govt meetings (township or village). You would talk with the local fire or police chief. Every dollar I spend in my budget I take very SERIOUSLY and wrestle vendors to give me the best price possible. I will not change your mind. You say the money is already there????:lol: I'm not one to post normally in this rant stuff but...... Well hope you don't need a police officer or firefighter soon we maybe be laid off from the funds that are already there as you say:flipoff: This is my last post on this. Hope all stay safe and healthy. Educate yourself and support your local safety services.

Blackballed
07-25-2010, 01:22 PM
I think everyone is in the same situation that NOTHING IS FREE... I for one live in a place where money is wasted on a daily basis. But I always vote for safety levies.... My family and my property is important to me.

bestracing
07-25-2010, 02:30 PM
KY doesn't have levys like in Ohio so the taxes are harder to follow over here is there is a general fund that everything is paid out of. The biggest BS was the lottery and it going to Education then they moved the fund to the general fund and now the schools are screwed over again.

Black92LX
07-25-2010, 04:47 PM
It just seems really convienient whenever an emergency vehicle gets into accident the other person is blamed with failure to provide right of way.
This is not always the case.

It's a tough situation for emergency responders, either they are not getting there fast enough or they are driving too fast.

But like in all things there are individuals that do things they should not and in those cases and it goes bad they are held responsible.
Were you living in Fayette County when the Sheriff's deputy killed the girl on Harrodsburg Road?
Granted the wreck was her fault since she pulled out of a parking lot in front of him he was arguably driving way to fast which is what got him in trouble. I don't remember the particulars of what happened to him as it was awhile before I moved down here.

redfirepearlgt
07-25-2010, 05:08 PM
how about all of you that can, come to Fillmores and have an icecream or milkshake and hang out. We can talk about it there. I have some question I would like answered as well on this subject. Would love to see some new faces.

Blackballed
07-25-2010, 06:30 PM
how about all of you that can, come to Fillmores and have an icecream or milkshake and hang out. We can talk about it there. I have some question I would like answered as well on this subject. Would love to see some new faces.

I would love to hit up some cruise ins to show off the new hood but still recovering from emergency back surgery last sat.:(