PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Township Fire-Rescue

302coupe
07-29-2010, 07:45 PM
ok so i was in anderson the other day and saw this guy laying on the side of the road about a foot off of the sidewalk they had the whole road blocked so i thought it was something serious. there is one hamilton county deputy, one ambulance and then anderson giant ladder truck. ok i can see the deputy and ambulance but why the brand new ladder truck? for a guy laying in the street. in the end the guy gets up and is fine i talked to the cop he said the guy didnt get what he wanted from the hospital so he went out in the road and made a big scene. ok it pisses me off that anderson brough out the ladder truck just for that idot and as i pay attention more i notice for every call they get if the ladder truck is avaliable its right there on the scene. i feel sorry for the tax payers of anderson paying all the money so they can drive that truck around and show it off, big waste of money. sorry just on my mind tell me if im wrong and or give your opion on the subject.

PaulFiveOh
07-29-2010, 07:55 PM
The mindset behind rescue response is to bring more than what is needed at first until command gets established then they figure it out from there. I'm sure the whole incident didn't last longer than 30 minutes.

I will agree though that sometimes EMS/Fire crews appear to be lackadaisical when it comes to unblocking traffic. Then again, I fix computers, not people so I may not have a clue what is going on.

302coupe
07-29-2010, 07:58 PM
yeah it was very short but for a call of a guy in the street did they think ok lets bring the ladder truck we might need this ladder that reaches the top of a 3-4 storie building? but i understand bringing enough people

PaulFiveOh
07-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Yea no clue on the ladder truck. Maybe whom ever would normally respond was out of service on lunch or something.

firestang70
07-29-2010, 10:57 PM
When fire/ems is dispatched they only know what the dispatcher tells them. Which most of the time is not what the actual situation is. The ladder crew shadows the medic unit to assist on some runs. Anderson is a very busy dept and sometimes the giant ladder is all thats available Its sometimes very difficult to handle and treat a pt with only 2 people on scene. Terrain, excess weight, steps, tight spaces. Having one person going out on medical disability from a back injury is more expensive than having the crew assist them on details. As far as blocking roadways... Its for the crews safety. The general public aka "rubber neckers" make every scene more dangerous. I am sure you have seen on the news were police or fire personnel are struck by vehicles. We now block the appropriate lanes to keep our personnel safe. We try to expedite but.. Sometimes OSP asked us to keep the road blocked so they make take measurements,pictures, wait for tow vehicles to remove vehicles, many variables. I am biased. I am an officer on my department. We try to take care of our residents but the safety of our crews come first, then our patients, then everyone else.

Some people freak out when they see firefighters cutting a hole in a roof of a house on fire. They think what the hell is wrong with them, my house is on fire. In reality they are making the conditions safer for the firefighters inside as well as helping to minimize the damage of the fire and smoke. Sounds weird.

Trust me those guys don't like having to stand out in the heat to deal with a pain. lol

firestang70
07-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Yea no clue on the ladder truck. Maybe whom ever would normally respond was out of service on lunch or something.
We are never out of service on lunch. Rarely do we ever get to eat 3 hot meals in the same day.;)

aperacer
07-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Dale well put. We could provide copies of the different response policies and maybe that would clear some things up. But that would be few hundred pages of dry ass reading for some. But what about the residents that complain that they never see the apparatus out and about or "you only brought one truck". "I pay good taxes for those trucks I want them all here".

And every once in a while i wish we could be unavailable because of trying to eat dinner or lunch. Yesterday we finally got lunch around 2 pm and dinner sometime about 10pm. Which meant eating out for two meals.

sorry about the rambling.

IWRBB
07-30-2010, 10:42 AM
And every once in a while i wish we could be unavailable because of trying to eat dinner or lunch. Yesterday we finally got lunch around 2 pm and dinner sometime about 10pm. Which meant eating out for two meals.

I really get tired of EMS, Fire, etc complaining "we can't eat when we want to". You did know what job you were applying for right? I've never tried to get into that line of work and even I know you may be called from eating to go to some idiots house for no good reason. It's part of the job, quit complaining already. Eat a candy bar if you are starving.

Let me know when you put in back to back 120 hour weeks and we'll complain about that together, K?

facemelter71
07-30-2010, 10:54 AM
I dont think he is complaining.I dont know of any firefighters that complain about there job.

Steves LX
07-30-2010, 11:49 AM
I really get tired of EMS, Fire, etc complaining "we can't eat when we want to". You did know what job you were applying for right? I've never tried to get into that line of work and even I know you may be called from eating to go to some idiots house for no good reason. It's part of the job, quit complaining already. Eat a candy bar if you are starving.

Let me know when you put in back to back 120 hour weeks and we'll complain about that together, K?

Listen here Jack!!! I have put in 120 hour work weeks before at my full time job. And I am also a firefighter. And I would much rather do the 120 hour work weeks agin Monday thru Sunday over the Christmas holidays then spend 3,4,5,or 6 hours out on a structure fire call. Being a firefighter/Paramedic or EMT is not what its all cracked up too be. And a lot of people including yourself have the slightest clue until you do it. Put yourself in turnout gear on a 90 degree day and pack up and go into a structure fire on an interior attack where temps can reach 1100 degrees or more and them come talk to me. And we will see just what you would rather do then. So with that being said it would be who of you to zip it until you've done it.

IWRBB
07-30-2010, 11:51 AM
I dont think he is complaining.I dont know of any firefighters that complain about there job.

I'm not saying aperacer is complaining, but his post reminds me of people I know who do complain about not being able to eat lunch when they want to-so I quoted him. Nothing against aperacer, I'm sure he's a standup guy.

IWRBB
07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Listen here Jack!!! I have put in 120 hour work weeks before at my full time job. And I am also a firefighter. And I would much rather do the 120 hour work weeks agin Monday thru Sunday over the Christmas holidays then spend 3,4,5,or 6 hours out on a structure fire call. Being a firefighter/Paramedic or EMT is not what its all cracked up too be. And a lot of people including yourself have the slightest clue until you do it. Put yourself in turnout gear on a 90 degree day and pack up and go into a structure fire on an interior attack where temps can reach 1100 degrees or more and them come talk to me. And we will see just what you would rather do then. So with that being said it would be who of you to zip it until you've done it.

I don't WANT to be a firefighter. You chose that line of work, not me- so quit saying that I don't know how tough it is. I don't really care, it's not my problem.

We all personally made decisions in our life that brought us to the job we have- complaining about it just means you made the wrong decisions at some point. That's what I'm getting at. I get sick of people whining about this part of their job, or that part of their job. So what! Get another job if it sucks so bad.

aperacer
07-30-2010, 12:44 PM
not complaining. this is the greatest occupation in the world, in my opinion. My brother and i both made the same choice. our father made the same choice and is now retired. the warm or hot meal is an inside joke among people in the fire service. much like "eat till your tired and sleep till your hungry" but that only applies when your a truckie.

Black92LX
07-30-2010, 03:02 PM
How do you know the ladder truck was no just driving by and found the guy?
How do you know the ladder truck was just not a few blocks away when the call went out??
How do you know they were specifically dispatched there????
How do you know what they were even dispatched to???

Kind of silly to make assumptions when you really have no clue what was actually going on.

snotzs135
07-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Truckie? Whats a truckie..thats the guy's who say would you please be quiet on your way out and turn the coffee on when you get back from making all your ems runs lol.

firestang70
07-30-2010, 04:44 PM
I never complain about my job. I love what I do and I get paid to do it. And if anyone asks my wife she will tell you that unfortunately I am gone at least 96 hours a week. Yes I have done MANY 120 hr work weeks. Still not complaining, I made my own lifestyle.
@snotz LOL!

Steves LX
07-30-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't WANT to be a firefighter. You chose that line of work, not me- so quit saying that I don't know how tough it is. I don't really care, it's not my problem.

We all personally made decisions in our life that brought us to the job we have- complaining about it just means you made the wrong decisions at some point. That's what I'm getting at. I get sick of people whining about this part of their job, or that part of their job. So what! Get another job if it sucks so bad.

You made a comment about your 120 hour work weeks like you were complaing about those!

mustang8998
07-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Dale, Alan, hush....

You guy's don't look like you've missed too many meals!

Steve.......well he looks like he could use a doughnut, or two!

snotzs135
07-30-2010, 07:24 PM
just be honest with yourself ape and firestang deep down you all want to be
truckies dont you??? lol and I don't think they ever said they missed a meal it just wasn't as hot as it was when they first sat down to eat it lol cold food its still food lol just get use to it lol:rolleyes:

mustang8998
07-30-2010, 09:21 PM
just be honest with yourself ape and firestang deep down you all want to be
truckies dont you??? lol and I don't think they ever said they missed a meal it just wasn't as hot as it was when they first sat down to eat it lol cold food its still food lol just get use to it lol:rolleyes:

I know that, I'm just messin' with them. ;)

snotzs135
07-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Mustang8998 I am just messing with them as well. I know deep down ape really wants to ride the medic and give up that fulltime driver spot lol(just kidding brother)

aperacer
07-31-2010, 12:36 AM
Mustang8998 I am just messing with them as well. I know deep down ape really wants to ride the medic and give up that fulltime driver spot lol(just kidding brother)

you start a rumor like that an my image will be ruined.. so you hush now.

firestang70
07-31-2010, 09:57 AM
Dale, Alan, hush....

Hey Mister I have lost 70 lbs. Not complaining though....:lol:

MrsAPE
07-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Dale, Alan, hush....

Way to turn it around!! LOVE IT!! I knew I liked you for a reason!! :lol:

Tiny: HUSH!!!

snotzs135
07-31-2010, 03:13 PM
alan the paramedic hmmmmm:eek:

aperacer
07-31-2010, 09:14 PM
when hell freezes over.....

snotzs135
08-01-2010, 09:22 AM
well with all this global warming i guess we are safe then lol:chug:

pegasus
08-01-2010, 07:47 PM
When fire/ems is dispatched they only know what the dispatcher tells them. Which most of the time is not what the actual situation is. The ladder crew shadows the medic unit to assist on some runs. Anderson is a very busy dept and sometimes the giant ladder is all thats available Its sometimes very difficult to handle and treat a pt with only 2 people on scene. Terrain, excess weight, steps, tight spaces. Having one person going out on medical disability from a back injury is more expensive than having the crew assist them on details. As far as blocking roadways... Its for the crews safety. The general public aka "rubber neckers" make every scene more dangerous. I am sure you have seen on the news were police or fire personnel are struck by vehicles. We now block the appropriate lanes to keep our personnel safe. We try to expedite but.. Sometimes OSP asked us to keep the road blocked so they make take measurements,pictures, wait for tow vehicles to remove vehicles, many variables. I am biased. I am an officer on my department. We try to take care of our residents but the safety of our crews come first, then our patients, then everyone else.

Some people freak out when they see firefighters cutting a hole in a roof of a house on fire. They think what the hell is wrong with them, my house is on fire. In reality they are making the conditions safer for the firefighters inside as well as helping to minimize the damage of the fire and smoke. Sounds weird.

Trust me those guys don't like having to stand out in the heat to deal with a pain. lol

X1,000

pegasus
08-01-2010, 07:48 PM
but lets all rember what ems stands for

Earn
Money
Sleeping

:flipoff:

snotzs135
08-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Earn
Money
Sleep

now thats funny

aperacer
08-02-2010, 04:38 PM
ask m-92 how that worked for them last night...

snotzs135
08-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Oh no! Where they busy??

aperacer
08-02-2010, 11:08 PM
lets just say i was glad to be on the ladder for a change...it all started after mid-night

89notch
08-03-2010, 08:00 AM

All the cool kids are doing it

aperacer
08-03-2010, 04:48 PM
momma always said "say no to drugs" so if thats what it takes i just wont be cool....

snotzs135
08-03-2010, 05:50 PM
but you are cool alan:cool1:

7upStang
08-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Fire Fighters should really be on eight hour shifts like the police with power shifts. This would cut costs and stop fire fighters from taking a 3 million dollar fire truck to the Krogers and the bank while getting 5 miles to the gallon. Fire Stations could be smaller and less expensive to maintain. Fire Stations are like frat houses on slow days. I have worked with people who maintain them after the fire fighters modify them cause they are bored.

MrsAPE
08-04-2010, 07:05 PM
:popcorn: :chug:

waits for it.......

mustang8998
08-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Share the pop corn Kim?

MrsAPE
08-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Share the pop corn Kim?

Sure...but I'm not sharing my beer...I didn't bring enough for you!! :D Happy Belated birthday too!!

mustang8998
08-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Sure...but I'm not sharing my beer...I didn't bring enough for you!! :D Happy Belated birthday too!!

I have enough beer, so I'm good there. :chug:

Alan like 7UP?

And, thank you!

snotzs135
08-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Well MrsApe I am waiting for it so lets have it!!
Unleash the hounds!!!:popcorn:

MrsAPE
08-05-2010, 02:37 PM
:chug: Well have some beer Tiny to you frat house dude!!!

snotzs135
08-05-2010, 06:26 PM
I wish it was like that on slow days then this would be the best job ever!!
Fire Stations are like frat houses on slow days lol please:rolleyes:

MrsAPE
08-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Fire Fighters should really be on eight hour shifts like the police with power shifts. This would cut costs and stop fire fighters from taking a 3 million dollar fire truck to the Krogers and the bank while getting 5 miles to the gallon. Fire Stations could be smaller and less expensive to maintain. Fire Stations are like frat houses on slow days. I have worked with people who maintain them after the fire fighters modify them cause they are bored.

I was all ready for people to chew you up. However, you obviously know nothing about firefighters and what they do. At least not real firefighters. It's not worth the time to point out how so very wrong your whole statement is. I would like to forward your feelings to the firehouse who is responsible for your life/property should tragedy hit. However, even knowing your thoughts, they would still risk their life for you & yours.

snotzs135
08-06-2010, 01:05 PM
7up So how bad was this firehouse your friend had to fix?? And please explain to me how putting firefighters on 3 shifts a day would save money?:rolleyes:

89notch
08-06-2010, 01:48 PM
You really think this would be any cheaper? :rolleyes:

If it was dont you think that every city/township administrator in the world would have already done this? Administration wants us working the 24 hour shifts. They pay me the same amount per year as a person on 8 hours shifts who works 40 hours a week. The benefit to the city is I work 53 hours a week instead of 40 for the same money. This also allows them to have 2/3 less employees than if it were 8 hour shifts. Thats 2/3 less people the city is paying for workers comp and insurance.

Also fire trucks do not cost 3 million dollars and there are reasons they respond on incidents that you might not think they need to be on. You wouldn't understand even if I tried to explain it to you. If you would like me to explain I will.

We are required to take the fire trucks to the store and this is for safety reasons for us and the citizens. When staffing allows we attempt to use the pickup truck to go but is usually not the case due to money/staffing problems.

The comment about frat houses and modifying firehouses is also BS. I would agree that firehouses in general require more maintenance than your average home. The reason for this is you have multiple grown adults living in these building. For example my station houses 18 people. Thats 6 adults per day(24 hours) cooking, eating, and sleeping. I'm sure there are exceptions where people abuse their firehouses but is absolutely not the case everywhere. The guys at my station like to keep things nice since it is their home 1/3 of their life for 25+ years.

Have any other good ideas or thoughts? :lol: I love it when people who are completely uneducated about the subject have all of these "great ideas"

mustang8998
08-06-2010, 07:11 PM
You really think this would be any cheaper? :rolleyes:

If it was dont you think that every city/township administrator in the world would have already done this? Administration wants us working the 24 hour shifts. They pay me the same amount per year as a person on 8 hours shifts who works 40 hours a week. The benefit to the city is I work 53 hours a week instead of 40 for the same money. This also allows them to have 2/3 less employees than if it were 8 hour shifts. Thats 2/3 less people the city is paying for workers comp and insurance.

Also fire trucks do not cost 3 million dollars and there are reasons they respond on incidents that you might not think they need to be on. You wouldn't understand even if I tried to explain it to you. If you would like me to explain I will.

We are required to take the fire trucks to the store and this is for safety reasons for us and the citizens. When staffing allows we attempt to use the pickup truck to go but is usually not the case due to money/staffing problems.

The comment about frat houses and modifying firehouses is also BS. I would agree that firehouses in general require more maintenance than your average home. The reason for this is you have multiple grown adults living in these building. For example my station houses 18 people. Thats 6 adults per day(24 hours) cooking, eating, and sleeping. I'm sure there are exceptions where people abuse their firehouses but is absolutely not the case everywhere. The guys at my station like to keep things nice since it is their home 1/3 of their life for 25+ years.

Have any other good ideas or thoughts? :lol: I love it when people who are completely uneducated about the subject have all of these "great ideas"

Very well put, Kelly. (My pop corn was getting stale.)

I do have a question, however (and I mean no disrespect), but how does taking a truck to the store help the safety of FFs and the citizens? Just curious, as I really don't mind it.

89notch
08-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Very well put, Kelly. (My pop corn was getting stale.)

I do have a question, however (and I mean no disrespect), but how does taking a truck to the store help the safety of FFs and the citizens? Just curious, as I really don't mind it.

In a perfect world most engine companies and ladder companies run a 4 man company. If you break one guy off to go to the grocery that takes that engine/ladder to a 3 man company. Let say a house on the other end of the city has a fire. In the state of Ohio everyone follows a 2 man in with 2 man on the outside. This ensure a safety net should things go bad with the 2 guys inside that would allow the 2 guys outside to go in and help them if need be. If a 3 man engine company arrives with 3 guys they have 2 options.

option 1
Put the firefighters in danger by not following the State mandate 2 in 2 out.

Option 2
not make entry and take the risk of a citizen being in the house until another engine or the guy at the grocery arrives. I know its a big what if scenario but in the instance it becomes a real incident it puts everyone at risk.

Then you have some places(mine included) that run staffing critically low with 2 and 3 person companies. This makes this scenario even more dangerous. We supplement this by taking the people off the ambulance and putting them on the engine if we have a fire. My department runs a min staffing of 8 guys per shift between 2 stations. When we run that low it is very important to not split the crews up.

That sum it up?

mustang8998
08-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Yes it does and thank you for the reply, Kelly. It makes perfect sense.

Like I said, it never bothered me. I just always wondered.