PDA

View Full Version : Autozone and my bad luck

93RedNotch
08-01-2010, 05:18 PM
I am simply trying to bolt a flex plate onto a flywheel. I needed a new pilot bearing and Autozone didn't even have a clue what i was talking about which i didn't realize until they came out of the back with a throw out bearing. Then after they gave me a broken tourqe wrench to tighten my flexplate bolts down, it locked up and didnt click and it snapped one of the bolts off into my flywheel. So after returnting to the store once agian they gave me a new flywheel and tourqe wrench. But now my old flywheel bolts dont even fit into the new flywheel that they had. I have everything to drop my new motor in except 6 bolts, that when i went to back to buy, they don't carry. And the attitude they have because I'm a kid pisses me off more than anything. IMO, the people that work at autozone by my house are no diffrent than a walmart cashier, they simply just know how to use a cash register.

mustangboy
08-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Well do you have a flex plate or a flywheel? If you have a stick you have a flywheel if you have an auto you have a flex plate.

93RedNotch
08-01-2010, 06:20 PM
its a 5spd. And i ment the bolts that bolt the clutch to the flywheel.

Ranger50
08-01-2010, 06:27 PM
No comment about the "discount auto parts stores", except it's a misnomer and you get what you pay for in the end.

Brian

PS-Clicker torque wrenches are about as accurate as using your finger to measure something. The next torque wrench I buy is going to be the old beam type, cheap, reliable, and repeatably precise.

Gearhead
08-01-2010, 08:45 PM
its a 5spd. And i ment the bolts that bolt the clutch to the flywheel.

Cincy Speed can get these for you if they don't already have them.....

ADaughen
08-01-2010, 09:15 PM
I don't trust 1/2 the local parts store warriors. They are almost as bad as the gun store sales people.

Some are ASE certified, some are even "car guys/gals" but most are there just to cash checks.

I send my wife in with a list and they challenge here with "what do you need that for?"
I tell my buddy what he needs to fix his Jeep and they try to sell him a new engine (exaggeration, but you get the point).

Dad used to manage an AutoZone up North. He had multiple ASE certs through them. He had quite a bit of knowledge in certain areas, others, he was pretty clueless. There were a few guys that were real gear heads. They were a blast to talk to when I wasn't busy grabbing parts for the family vehicles.

I worked for NAPA back in high school. I learned quite a bit about parts and the people on both sides of the counter. As parts slingers we would do our best to get the part the customer asks for.

The best bet at any of these places is to take the broken part in so they can match it up with the new piece.

draggin50
08-01-2010, 10:54 PM
I rank them right up there with the WalMart greeters! Mostly just retards that you have to hire due to EOE. We had a couple good guys at the local Autozone but they didnt last long most likely because they were tired of dealing with the rest of the idiots behind the counter with them.

Kevin1989
08-01-2010, 11:21 PM
I rank them right up there with the WalMart greeters! Mostly just retards that you have to hire due to EOE. We had a couple good guys at the local Autozone but they didnt last long most likely because they were tired of dealing with the rest of the idiots behind the counter with them.

:lol: the advanced down the street is fine they seem to be able to understand...

Blackout
08-02-2010, 12:39 AM
so do you need a throw out bearing or the bearing that is inside the crank? just wondering what your trying to do?

bestracing
08-02-2010, 08:42 AM
so do you need a throw out bearing or the bearing that is inside the crank? just wondering what your trying to do?

He said a pilot bearing so it's the one inside the crank ;)

Blackpony
08-02-2010, 01:09 PM
I happen to work at auto zone on beechmont and have worked for the company for quite a few years but only ever part time. I have to agree with a lot of you about the type of people AZ and other parts stores for that matter when it comes to employees. Most stores don't want to pay people for what they might be worth when it comes to knowledge. My store in particular has a number of people that don't know how to even install a windshield wiper. It all comes down to filling a position the cheapest way possible.

Blackpony
08-02-2010, 01:12 PM
I am simply trying to bolt a flex plate onto a flywheel. I needed a new pilot bearing and Autozone didn't even have a clue what i was talking about which i didn't realize until they came out of the back with a throw out bearing. Then after they gave me a broken tourqe wrench to tighten my flexplate bolts down, it locked up and didnt click and it snapped one of the bolts off into my flywheel. So after returnting to the store once agian they gave me a new flywheel and tourqe wrench. But now my old flywheel bolts dont even fit into the new flywheel that they had. I have everything to drop my new motor in except 6 bolts, that when i went to back to buy, they don't carry. And the attitude they have because I'm a kid pisses me off more than anything. IMO, the people that work at autozone by my house are no diffrent than a walmart cashier, they simply just know how to use a cash register.

I am curious as to what store you went to. Perhaps i can give you the district managers phone number and then you could voice your experience to him. Most DM's hate to hear of a stores fuck up.

Buckeye
08-02-2010, 10:02 PM
It is not but luck when you get a wrong part from AZ it is fate

93RedNotch
08-03-2010, 12:03 AM
I am curious as to what store you went to. Perhaps i can give you the district managers phone number and then you could voice your experience to him. Most DM's hate to hear of a stores fuck up.

There isnt a person behind the counter at my store that I would trust to change a battery from what I hear them tell other customers. There are people like that at other auto stores but there is usually 2-3 people that know there shit. At the autozone by my house (mason) there isn't any one like that.