PDA

View Full Version : Hit your finger while hammering something...

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Has anyone ever hit their finger while hammering, and hit it so hard that it instantly made a friction blister like you get on your heel when breaking in boots? I was working on a bike and tapping out this shaft from the stem, and i wasn't really hammering very hard but i hit the tip of my left pointer finger. It hurt like a bitch but i didn't think it was that bad...until like 2 minutes later the side right under the nail started to bubble up. When i pressed on it, the usual blister puss squirted out from under my nail. So a day or so later it's all white and loose looking so i cut it off and now i have this huge concave chunk taken out of my finger.

:(

jad0087
08-05-2010, 11:07 PM
sounds nasty

mustanger
08-05-2010, 11:17 PM
I know that feeling all too well...I was dumb enough to use a chainsaw to cut some small trees in the backyard one Father's Day and decided to wear flip flops, the chainsaw bucked on me and caught my big toe right under the nail and ripped it back. I know it isn't a hammer but the feeling, omg...the paaain!

1992MustangDW
08-05-2010, 11:26 PM
you ever hit ur hand so hard it hurts in your chest and throat. man its painful

mustang8998
08-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Pointer finger.......:lol:

Yeah, been there,done that.

Small dinning room table, about 5 foot round, with the slide for extension leafs. I was moving it from one room, to another and had to turn it side ways. It wasn't locked together and when I turned it, to go through the door, the one half fell on my "pointer" (LOL, big) toe. Split the nail in two and was spewing blood, everywhere. That one cost me a week off of work. :o

thecollector
08-06-2010, 01:12 AM
Mine is bike related as well. When I was younger I learned a valuable close toed shoe lesson on a bike. I was cruising down the street and stood up to peddle, my left foot sliped off and my toe got ground across the concrete. Lost all the meat on the big toe past the nail. It sucked.

Worst pain than that was I was hammering on some stainless trying to remove some warpage from sheetmetal. For some reason I took a few upward swings and busted myself in the chin and teeth full force. I was hurting bad. I thought at first I knocked all my teeth out cause I felt around with my tongue and lips and didn't fell anything. I looked on the floor for my teeth then went to the bathroom. Somehow all I had was a cut lip and swelling, you couldn't tell vissually but it throbbed for two days.

dsmawd350
08-06-2010, 01:33 AM
was just oading wall block into a skid steer yesterday and the block caught me off guard and slid to the back of the bucket so fast my hand was still on one of the ears and slammed it good. the bock weight about 65 lbs. my nail instantly turned purplish and the skin side got a blood blister type deal deep under the skin

Mista Bone
08-06-2010, 04:24 AM
was just oading wall block into a skid steer yesterday and the block caught me off guard and slid to the back of the bucket so fast my hand was still on one of the ears and slammed it good. the bock weight about 65 lbs. my nail instantly turned purplish and the skin side got a blood blister type deal deep under the skin

guess what, bye bye nail!

Index and ring finger caught in a packaging machine, basically a press. Smashed hard enough that the blood squirted out like tiny jets through the skin. THANKFULLY nerves were damaged and I felt just light pressure. If I would have flinched I would have ripped the meat off the bone to the first knuckle.

big cheif
08-06-2010, 04:59 AM
I was i north carolina unloading a shitty loaded "pre-loaded" trailer. In order to keep the mixed load of roound steel bar from shifting on us ( my trainer and I ) we tightend up our straps as tight as we could, then literally put all of our weight on the ratchet bar till it would hold us in the air and not move. well we pull up to this place to unload, and they want it unloaded inside. the dock is about 100 feet long,so you have to unload from the side. in order to unload i had to do the same thing as i did loading. dumb ass me grabs ahold of the ratchet bar and proceeds to put all of my weight on this bar. jumping with my fingers wrapped around this bar,the ratchet loosens up,my pointing finger hits the dock with my then 235 pound ass of momentum. No shittting aside i thought i smashed the meat out of my finger. After about 2 min of pissing and moaning i pulled my glove off to see a finger that resembled harry potters aunt that pissed him off! Purple finger nail polish was free. mike told me to take my knife and "drill" a hole in my nail. Being such a pussy about the whole deal i did'nt. Knowing my luck that day,and as sharp as my knife is i probably would have "drilled" the end of my finger off. this was in april,and i finally lost my finger nail sunday. :mad:

big cheif
08-06-2010, 05:02 AM
Why is the damn time always wrong?

stocknotch
08-06-2010, 05:25 AM
I've seen people hit their fingers full swing with a 23oz framing hammer and the end of their finger liteally explodes. Its one of the nastiest things i've ever seen. The guys (more than one) about passed out, lol.

big cheif
08-06-2010, 06:03 AM
probably lost all control of bodily functions!!!!!

Mista Bone
08-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Why is the damn time always wrong?

because no one is driving this wreck of a ship.

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-06-2010, 06:42 PM
It hurt when i did it but not as much as you'd think...but now a few days later it's sore as hell. I can't even use it...my whole POINTER finger throbs lol.

One time when we were kids, we were using bricks to build up the base of a dirt jump, and one of my friends dropped a brick on another friend's hand and it was like slow motion...we all looked down right as it was falling and it hit right on the tip of his middle finger and tore his nail right off. He just pulled his hand up and looked at it for a second and started screaming...lol.

draggin50
08-06-2010, 08:09 PM
I was putting a pilot bearing in one of my old mustangs and it would start then get all cocked sideways and fall out. I did that a few times before i got fed up and just decided to hold it in place while i drove it in. What a mistake!! I wailed on the unit and when I did I realized the tip of my finger was cut clean off!! I went to the hospital and the sewed it right up. That sucked!

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Ouch..

I have the perfect remedy.... "soak it in cider" :D

Buckeye
08-06-2010, 09:07 PM
I was holding something while a co worker hit it today (bad idea #1) we were useing a 18in adjustable wrench as a hammer (bad Idea #2) he hit my hand so hard with the smooth round side of the wrench it cut my hand and insta bruised. it fn hurt

mustang8998
08-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Ouch..

I have the perfect remedy.... "soak it in cider" :D

Not your finger! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R38-QkYMP-E