PDA

View Full Version : car wont start

Steves LX
08-06-2010, 03:10 AM
I finished the wifes coupe up last night and the car wont crank. When you turn the key the compter kicks on and the fuel pump primes but the car wont crank. The car is a 89 coupe. I am using her computer harness out of her 87. That harness was a speed density harness but I converted it too mass air. All I did was remove it from her 87 and stuck it in her 89. I also ran the couple extra wires that is part of the mass air kit over to the drivers side to the fuel pump and speed sensor just like it was in her 87. Her 87 was a AOD car and I am using the same computer from it which is a A9P. But we are using a T5 in this car instaed of the AOD. There is what I beleive to be a neutral saftey harness hanging un derneath the car but the T5 I am using doesn't have a plug or anything on the lid to connect it to. I also stuck a A9L that I have in the car and it still wouldn't crank. So any ideas here guys?

RACEME
08-06-2010, 07:58 AM
I am pretty sure there is a connector that needs to be jumpered near the trans mission for the car to start. It will have a wire that just loops back on the connector. I think it is under the middle of the dash in the trans tunnel behind the console.

If you don't have that part of the harness, then you can run a hot wire directly from the ignition switch on the column to the solonoid. Another option is to install a push button switch that is wired to the solonoid.

blue5.8
08-06-2010, 09:54 AM
i just did the same thing so there are not any wires that need to be jumped

JASON408
08-06-2010, 10:02 AM
I am pretty sure there is a connector that needs to be jumpered near the trans mission for the car to start. It will have a wire that just loops back on the connector. I think it is under the middle of the dash in the trans tunnel behind the console.

If you don't have that part of the harness, then you can run a hot wire directly from the ignition switch on the column to the solonoid. Another option is to install a push button switch that is wired to the solonoid.

x2 !!!! you prob need to jump the wires in the tunnel .

kennebellcobra
08-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Check your clutch switch too.

Steves LX
08-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Check your clutch switch too.

I checked the clutch switch and held it in with my hand and it still wouldn't crank. The lid on the T5's on some years had the neutral drive switch on them and some didn't. Well I dont have it on the t5 I am running. So yeah I believe that harness that is hanging underneath is going to have to be jumpered. I will try that tonight when I get home.

Stangman
08-06-2010, 11:23 AM
So it will finally live tonight??!! Sweet!! Sucks I wont be able to show up for that, I'm going to rock out tonight at Dirty Jacks on Vine with Chiva Knievel!

Depending on what I get done this weekend I could come over maybe and finish my duties on that car for ya!

5.0calypso93lx
08-06-2010, 11:34 AM

I ran into the same thing and I'm betting this is the answer.

Have you tried jumping it at the solenoid?

RACEME
08-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Just be a little careful with jumpering and/or running wires to the solonoid. That will tend to allow you to crank the engine with the car in gear and clutch out.

facemelter71
08-06-2010, 11:55 AM
You have to jumper some wires in the tunnel.Let me get you the info.Gimme a minute.

facemelter71
08-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Compliments of You'd luz.Thanks again for the info.
Just swap the (VSS) vehicle speed sensor over to the 5 speed, they are the same.

The Back-up lights connection, the 2 prongs on the side of the 5 speed tranny, (above the shift linkage on the auto). Cut off the auto connection and expose the wires. The Purple wire with Orange tracer is the 12V wire from the fuse, the Black wire with Pink tracer is the wire out to the tail lights. The 2 prongs sticking out just need to connect those 2 wires (either way doesn't matter) if you care about reverse lights.

The neutral safety switch is not on the 5 speed. However it is an intregral part of the back-up connector on the AOD. You'll have to splice together the White wire with the Pink tracer to the Red wire with the Light Blue tracer at the connector above. Then follow this wire (the red one) and cut it to run through the clutch pedal switch (the forward connector on the driver side of the clutch pedal) this will interrupt the wire unless the clutch is pushed in. Then the wire will go out to the small connection on the starter relay.

You could ever just run a new wire to do this...may be easier.

All of this info is in the EVTM manuals if you need a reference

331TwistedWedge
08-07-2010, 02:49 AM
bet its the clutch switch harness ... when im right, you can ask me how i knew that .......