PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever work on an '02ish Intrepid 2.7L?

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Guys i had to admit defeat working on my GF's best friend's car today. This thing kicked my fuckin ass and it has me really pissed. I can't stand not finishing a job. All the damn thing needed was the alternator replaced...you wouldn't believe the shit you have to go through to swap it out. I must have missed something...i'm hoping someone can chime in and tell me what i did wrong but i could NOT get the damn thing out no matter what i tried.

All i had to reference was a parts store manual which is never reliable. They said take the rad core support off the bottom and pull it out from the bottom so i went that route. I thought it would be easier to get the power steering pump off and pull it out from the top but i went with the book. I got the core support off which of course i knew was going to be HELL to get back on since i was working by myself. Then i got all the bolts out of the alternator and the damn thing wouldn't come out. I have no idea what was holding it in and i'm absolutely positive i got all the bolts. It would wiggle about 1/4 inch up and down but it wouldn't drop out.

I ended up putting the damn thing back together so she can take it to CarX or whatever and have them do it and i can't fucking stand that. I feel like a fucking rookie and it's burning me up. Anyone have any idea what could've been holding this thing in? And no, it wasn't the wires, i had all those disconnected too.

:(

:flipoff: FUCK YOU MOPAR!!!! :flipoff:

Stangman
08-07-2010, 11:20 PM
2.7's are junk, lol

93lincolnmk8
08-08-2010, 12:39 AM
I've never done an alternator in one but I know the Intrepids with the 2.7's are ticking time bombs. They had a bad problem with cooling in those cars and the oil will bake in the top end of the motor and waste them. Synthetic oil helps but the problem is still there. When its fixed unload it as fast as possible.

PaulFiveOh
08-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Strap some solar panels on that bitch and be done with it. Alternators are for pussies any way.

Ranger50
08-08-2010, 01:43 AM
You did loosen up the tensioner bolt in back to back off the tension on the belt, then remove that bolt completely?

Brian

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-08-2010, 04:58 AM
You did loosen up the tensioner bolt in back to back off the tension on the belt, then remove that bolt completely?

Brian

Tensioner? Are you saying the idle pulley has to come OFF in order to take the alt out? I loosened it up of course and took the belt off...but i didn't see where the tensioner would've screwed into the alt or anything like that..

chad393na
08-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Just did a water pump on one of those recently, that was a pretty big job for a water pump.It paid almost 8 hours. It's ran by the timing chain. It actually has its own path for coolant to leak to the ouside instead of the inside of the engine which I thought was pretty smart for a Chrysler product.

Stangman
08-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Just did a water pump on one of those recently, that was a pretty big job for a water pump.It paid almost 8 hours. It's ran by the timing chain. It actually has its own path for coolant to leak to the ouside instead of the inside of the engine which I thought was pretty smart for a Chrysler product.

They had to plan on them being pieces of shit, LOL

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Well if this had been my car at my house, i would've just started taking shit apart until i figured it out but i was running out of day and i couldn't leave this girl with her car sitting in pieces, because it did still run but has been eating batteries, so i had to at least get it back together so she could drive it somewhere to have it fixed.

I just can't stand failing at shit like this :mad:

Ranger50
08-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Tensioner? Are you saying the idle pulley has to come OFF in order to take the alt out? I loosened it up of course and took the belt off...but i didn't see where the tensioner would've screwed into the alt or anything like that..

Alldata says to remove after the belt is removed. But yes the bolt has to be removed as it DOES attach directly to the alternator. Thank you Chrysler.

Except when they break the nose of the pump off. BTDT. $700 labor repair for a $35 part. It is just the like Ecoboost. Can't wait for that repair bill.

Buckeye
08-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Burn it to the ground you will thank me later

thecollector
08-08-2010, 07:27 PM
A coworker of mine changed his wifes oil in her intrepid, he double sealed filter and she popped the motor. He asked if I would do the replacement for him and I told him to scrap it. Then I explained how big of a favor he just did everyone by killing it off.

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Wow what a load of shit. It was bad enough cutting my arms up trying to get up in there where the alt is at and get the 3 bolts out...which are damn near impossible to get to. I can't imagine how i would've got the alt in, held it in place, and started the bolts by myself. What a piece of shit. I'll pass this along to her and hopefully she gets something else before it becomes a liability.

8banger
08-08-2010, 10:49 PM

Yep Hear ya.Did a few myself.Seems they re-designed the whole chain assembly,smaller lighter chain,gears etc. Kit even comes with the water pump. 2.7s have to be the worse engine ever built.

facemelter71
08-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I worked on a couple of these shit boxes.I tell every one with one to get rid of it.Only a matter of time before the chain lets go and takes every thing out with it.Those motors are such big pieces of shit.

Pitbull1052
08-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I had one on the newest body style Cougar I dont remember the year but it was the big v6 model.... you had to remove the whole passanger side suspension to get the alternator out......... totally sucked.......

03z06vette
08-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I had one on the newest body style Cougar I dont remember the year but it was the big v6 model.... you had to remove the whole passanger side suspension to get the alternator out......... totally sucked.......

or just the axle??

Pitbull1052
08-09-2010, 01:36 PM
or just the axle??

Just the axle but that's daum near the whole left side to me when I'm use to changing one in a stang that take 10 min. lol

Stangman
08-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Just the axle but that's daum near the whole left side to me when I'm use to changing one in a stang that take 10 min. lol

heck yeah, changing a stock alt on a fox is like the easiest thing ever on those cars... When I had my '89 I remember taking the alternator off and putting it back on a bunch, Dont remember why now, but I did it. :lol:

Pitbull1052
08-09-2010, 02:28 PM
heck yeah, changing a stock alt on a fox is like the easiest thing ever on those cars... When I had my '89 I remember taking the alternator off and putting it back on a bunch, Dont remember why now, but I did it. :lol:

heck yea it is I think i've changed mine like 3 times lol had a bad one twice....

big cheif
08-09-2010, 03:26 PM
see dave ya could have brought the kids over this weekend, but nooo had to work in this turd bucket!!!:D

Dirtyd0g
08-09-2010, 03:44 PM
My luck the crank woudl fall out after doing the alternator, that is what the 2.7 is known for. Throwing rods and breaking cranks.
Alan