PDA

View Full Version : Lug Nut Key!!!!!!!

four6trix
08-17-2010, 10:24 PM
So I bought my '04 Vert a few months back. I never thought to give the wheels a second look b/c I'd never seen locking lug nuts like these, I just thought they were normal. They are bullet shaped, chrome lug nuts. I find out now that one of them on 3 of the wheels is a "locking" nut. I've been all around the area to different shops trying to figure out what my options are and now its coming down to "cutting them out and more than likely ruining the wheels". The car has the "GT4" wheels off American Muscle, so I decided to look on there to see if they sold the lug nuts too. Well, they do...but when I called, the guy told me I'm SOL b/c each set comes with a unique key. So...I don't know if mine actually came from them or not b/c mine are just 8 evenly spaced notches on the outside of the lug. It's somewhere around 19mm in diameter. I included a pic. Just thought I'd post up to see if anyone had anything like that laying around....Thanks. Lesson learned for sure.

foxbodyfan
08-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Could try a few cheap deepwell sockets in 1/2 drive. Find one that is close to the lug nut size but undersized a hair. Smack it on you want a tight fit so it grabs the lug nut tight. Take 1/2 ratchet and turn ccw like you would remove any other bolt. It should work depending on how tight the lug nut is. Most times those aren't super tight and the smacked on socket will remove it.

four6trix
08-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I've tried that too. They're on there so tight that all I did was shave the notches down a bit. It really sucks...

adragon72
08-17-2010, 10:52 PM
You might try a extractor for striped out nuts I got a set from sears they work great. If your near Fairfield your welcome to use mine.

foxbodyfan
08-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Might need to mix it up with standard and metric sizes to get it just a tad tighter.

May also try a good penetrating lube like pb blaster, kroil

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-17-2010, 11:25 PM
One time i had to buy 4 cheap sockets and hammer them on to get lock lugs off. Small price to pay if you can't cut them out without damaging the wheel.

Dirtyd0g
08-18-2010, 12:36 AM
I have a locknut removal set, I can get them off.
Alan

capri5.0
08-18-2010, 03:10 AM
If the lock is on extremely tight go to the lugnuts on both sides of the locks and over tighten them, this will relieve some of the pressure on the lock and you should be able to it off with an undersized socket.I work for Tire Discounters and have to deal with customers losing their keys all the time. Cutting the locks off should be the very last resort.

Good luck
Eric