PDA

View Full Version : 5-speed to auto swap

TheBandit
08-19-2010, 11:26 AM
I have a 96 Mustang G.T. 4.6 5-speed
gonna swap an auto out of a 96 4.6 auto
gonna change peddles and all, how do i hook up the od switch? any other concerns with this swap?

cstreu1026
08-19-2010, 11:46 AM
I just did this swap over the winter...

The trans is computer controled so unless you have putting in a 4R70W with a manual valve body you need to have the wiring harness(s) for the auto. From what I remember this will connect to the shifter to allow for proper function. You will also want to get computer from an auto equiped car. You will need to have it tuned to turn off the PATS so the car will run. The transmission tunnel in a stick car is different than an auto so you are going to have to modify it and then find a way to mount the shifter. That was probably the biggest PITA of the swap. At the very least you will need to swap radiators as well so you have a transmission cooler. I am running a large external cooler instead but will be going to a bigger fan cooled unit when the transmisison gets rebuilt with a trans brake.

TheBandit
08-19-2010, 01:09 PM
it really sounds like my cars gonna stay a 5-speed gf will just have to learn to drive it. thanks for the input