PDA

View Full Version : F-ing Lowballers

Flaming87lx
08-20-2010, 01:23 AM
this is f-ing insane, I'm so sick of this shit, you have to give shit away or trade it just to move it and the only people that are buying are lowballing the fuck out of ya because they know that nobody else is going to buy it because nobody has any f=ing money...... Heaven forbid somebody make an attempt at buying something and make reasonable offer, everybody wants you to lose your ass or they aint getting a deal....

I drove one hour one way for some idiot to offer me $800 f-ing dollar for my truck.... He failed say that he was looking to stick it in sideways twice to the first person that would take it and that he was wanting to buy a vehicle to make money off of it...... WTF...... He's naming off all the shit he wants to do to it and then says, "Well if I do all of that, I wont be able to make any money off of it if I pay 2k for it" So am I supposed to feel sorry because he wants to buy a bunch of new parts and then cant make any money off of me???? I dont F-ing think so!!!! I am so pissed at this point, and then he says, "I couldnt give u more than $800 and do what I need to do" So, I politely said, "Well, I cant do that" Hoping at this point to keep the peace and maybe he will offer gas money for me and my wife driving 2 fucking vehicles an hour one way so he could low ball the shit out of me and waist 3 hours of my life that I cant get back now.... But NOPE, He says "OK, well thank ya buddy" Needless to say, My wonderful wife restrained me and kept me out of jail..... This is a $2500 (at least) truck any day of the week... Im not trying to screw anybody over, I just want a fair price for a good truck and cant give it away.... I feel sorry for the next guy, especially if my wife isnt with me....

Maximus
08-20-2010, 01:30 AM
Someone on here?

93snake
08-20-2010, 01:35 AM
amen for your wife brother! you dont need any more problems. I know where you are coming from with all the low balling going on right now (and I know we have talked about this stuff before) but some just dont want to pay fair price for stuff and others are too busy just trying to screw the rest of us. Hang in there and good luck with the sale.

may93
08-20-2010, 01:53 AM
this is f-ing insane, I'm so sick of this shit, you have to give shit away or trade it just to move it and the only people that are buying are lowballing the fuck out of ya because they know that nobody else is going to buy it because nobody has any f=ing money...... Heaven forbid somebody make an attempt at buying something and make reasonable offer, everybody wants you to lose your ass or they aint getting a deal....

I drove one hour one way for some idiot to offer me $800 f-ing dollar for my truck.... He failed say that he was looking to stick it in sideways twice to the first person that would take it and that he was wanting to buy a vehicle to make money off of it...... WTF...... He's naming off all the shit he wants to do to it and then says, "Well if I do all of that, I wont be able to make any money off of it if I pay 2k for it" So am I supposed to feel sorry because he wants to buy a bunch of new parts and then cant make any money off of me???? I dont F-ing think so!!!! I am so pissed at this point, and then he says, "I couldnt give u more than $800 and do what I need to do" So, I politely said, "Well, I cant do that" Hoping at this point to keep the peace and maybe he will offer gas money for me and my wife driving 2 fucking vehicles an hour one way so he could low ball the shit out of me and waist 3 hours of my life that I cant get back now.... But NOPE, He says "OK, well thank ya buddy" Needless to say, My wonderful wife restrained me and kept me out of jail..... This is a $2500 (at least) truck any day of the week... Im not trying to screw anybody over, I just want a fair price for a good truck and cant give it away.... I feel sorry for the next guy, especially if my wife isnt with me....

Post it for sale with a fair firm price, add plenty of pics, and let them come look at it. That way if they waste your time it will at least cost them their gasoline..

In this case I think by meeting the guy half way and having your wife follow you it gave the impression that you were eager to sell so he tried to stick it to you.

mustangboy
08-20-2010, 02:11 AM
Do you have his cell #, maybe you can have some of these text bomb him. At least make him suffer a little

NXcoupe
08-20-2010, 02:49 AM
Rule of thumb, never ever ever drive somewhere to take your vehicle to some lazy asshole that can get off the couch to drive to look at something HE wants to buy. Being a nice guy is one thing, if he would have given you a non refundable deposit, or you had the price negotiated along with a deposit, then I could see it. I did this once and the guy tried to screw me over, so I got back into my car and my wife following me, and the guy chased me down and paid me my money for the car that I wanted.
I had all the idiots coming out of the woodwork with my coupe. I had more offers I accepted and then the guys would drop off the face of the planet. I went with the deal I should have taken as soon as it was offered. The guy was straight up, honest and everything went as he said. Sorry, just as worked up about this shit as you are.

motox159
08-20-2010, 04:46 AM
Man, seems like I have had some of the same problems! A few guys offered some trades but wanted me to come to them. Had some lower than reasonable offers also. I think I had mine priced pretty fairly, and was willing to negotiate a price...but not a grand lower than what asking price was. Hell, I would run it into a tree and bump my insurance up before I give it away!!!

Mista Bone
08-20-2010, 07:03 AM
I've forgotten how to "debate" the price on a car.

I see car or parts and it's listed price. Right then I either agree to either buy or walk away. Last 4-5 cars I've bought I've never haggled on the price. The price I was paying was IMHO fair.

If you post something anywhere for sale, list a fair price and your bottom dollar. I'll either bite or look elsewhere. I won't low ball.

I've drove to meet folks to sell a Honda tranny, agreed price was $200...dude "only brought" $150 with him. I said $200 or nothing. I drove back home without the sale. two weeks later he said he had the $200 for the tranny, no remorse on wasting my time. I stated the price was now $250 to cover the gas on TWO trips to Cbus, he bitched and cussed me on the phone. Even made a post on the Cbus Honda forum, everyone saw my side of the deal. He flaked but I did find a buyer who has also sent others to me.

To those that list stuff on craigslist, to me list a FAIR price, if I think it is FAIR I'll buy it. Do not list a POS Civic for $3500 with a cracked head and complain when someone offers you $1000 for it........

cstreu1026
08-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Wow, I actually agree with Bone on something. If the price is right (or at least what I want to pay) I'll bite. If I think its too high then I'll either wait for it to come down or watch someone else get it. If I think someone is desperate to sell I sure as hell aren't going to beat them up more. I just wouldn't feel right about it.

Selling anything anymore is extremely frustrating. I've got a $1500 set of heads in my garage that people want to offer me $750 for. They'll continue to sit in my garage until I get the price I want.

RIXXX93GT
08-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Like Mike said earlier, never ever travel to meet someone thats wants to buy your item. If they were really interested they would be bugging you to set up an appointment. Been burned on here, lesson learned.

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Damn there's lowballing and then there's slitting your throat. I'd have gone off on that asshole.

Galaxie
08-20-2010, 10:14 AM
I had a guy call me from Kansas City and was trying to low ball me before he even made the drive or seen the car in person . I told him if he didnt think the car was worth what I was asking he probably shouldnt even leave his house . I was asking $11,500 and he said I have $10 cash be there tomorrow . I told him not to make the trip without $11,500 and he did come and buy it for that . I did have the car on ebay and it did not meet reserve and come to find out he was the high bidder . He found it the day after I had put it on craigslist .

03z06vette
08-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Just hang in there it'll sell..

Flaming87lx
08-20-2010, 11:41 AM
The guy lived 2 hours away (so he said) and had contacted me a couple of times earlier in the week. I had the truck listed for $2800 obo on CL. In our last conversation, he wanted me to meet him this weekend, and I said, (trying to see if he is really wanting it and to move it faster) said "If you buy it before the weekend, I'll take 2k"...... I guess that made him feel like he had me in his sights, I came down 800 instantly and willing to drive to meet him..... Lesson learned, I wanted to be helpful, nice guy, give a good deal and it bit me in the ass..... I always want to give people the benefit of the doubt and unfortunely you cant do that with anyone anymore.

BIGHONKEY
08-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Hey man all that truck is worth is $800 take it or leave it, lil' doodoo!!!

Hahahah jfwy, what a fuck-head! I think sometimes all these unemployed dipshits are looking for ways to fill their day besides looking for a job. :rolleyes:

Flaming87lx
08-20-2010, 11:43 AM
It wasnt anyone on here, I was so pissed last night I would have posted there name in every section on here if it was!!! :lol:

5.0calypso93lx
08-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Rule of thumb, never ever ever drive somewhere to take your vehicle to some lazy asshole that can get off the couch to drive to look at something HE wants to buy. Being a nice guy is one thing, if he would have given you a non refundable deposit, or you had the price negotiated along with a deposit, then I could see it. I did this once and the guy tried to screw me over, so I got back into my car and my wife following me, and the guy chased me down and paid me my money for the car that I wanted.
I had all the idiots coming out of the woodwork with my coupe. I had more offers I accepted and then the guys would drop off the face of the planet. I went with the deal I should have taken as soon as it was offered. The guy was straight up, honest and everything went as he said. Sorry, just as worked up about this shit as you are.

Yep, I did that one time and it was my last.

It was a guy here on stangbangerz too so I just figured he was a good dude. Once I got there, he nitpicked the hell out of a $1200 asking price 94 Ranger that I drove daily, had working 4wd, and a 99% rust free body. I drove it to Detroit, Michigan to buy a Viper T56 one time. Everything that was wrong with it was called out in the ad and I get there and he says he doesn't even think he can give me $800. I wasn't happy to say the least...

I've bought and sold quite a few cars in the past two years and I've learned that I don't wait on anybody to show up and I don't hold anything for anyone(unless it's a REALLY good friend). I've had my time wasted way too many times.

Roush GT
08-20-2010, 12:07 PM
I hear ya. I've been trying to sell some tires for awhile now, even had someone on here who said they were gonna buy them and something came up and never heard from them again about the tires. I was offered 175 yesterday and gave in because everyone else either don't have the money or want to lowball the shit out of ya..

cstreu1026
08-20-2010, 01:00 PM
I went throught with tire last year. I picked up a smoking deal on a set of snow tires for my SRT4 but ended up getting rid of the car before I ever used them. They were still in the packaging from Disount Tire where they were selling them last fall for $150 more than I was asking. I thought I had someone who wanted them. I even offered to deliver then because he wasn't far from my parents. Then he emailed me and said they weren't quite the right size so he would only pay like $100 for 4 brand new Dunlop snow tires. I was pissed to say the least because he drug this out for a week. I ended up telling him to go fuck himself.

Blackout
08-20-2010, 01:36 PM
well i will be honest, i buy and sell stuff all the time. cars, parts, it dont matter. i never lowball but if there already cheap, its hard for me not to just give what there asking. it never hurts to ask, just dont be retarded about it. i mean if your asking 2800 for something and im interested i would probaly offer you politely if you would take 2200. then wait for them to counter. its all a game but you have to play it right and noy be rediculous.

cobra429boss
08-20-2010, 01:54 PM
what kills me is you ask someone what bottom dollar is they say 2500 then you say well i will offer 2100 for it and they say give me 2300 you can have it.. Thats why people get low balled, if bottom dollar is 2300 just say so

Flaming87lx
08-20-2010, 01:57 PM
well i will be honest, i buy and sell stuff all the time. cars, parts, it dont matter. i never lowball but if there already cheap, its hard for me not to just give what there asking. it never hurts to ask, just dont be retarded about it. i mean if your asking 2800 for something and im interested i would probaly offer you politely if you would take 2200. then wait for them to counter. its all a game but you have to play it right and noy be rediculous.

I would deal with you any day of the week!!!!!!! That is exactly what I do with people, I would never have the nerve to do what that guy did to me last night....

9cobra4
08-20-2010, 02:45 PM
I hate when people lowball. It seriously drives me nuts, I sold a supra on craigslist a couple years ago, the guy comes to the house, looks at the car for like 3 seconds, and offers HALF my asking price. I was appalled.

Dirtyd0g
08-20-2010, 03:59 PM
There are pro's and cons, if you really need to sell something a low ball offer is better than no offer at all.
Alan

racingrick
08-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Things today are not selling for what they used to.

Bad if you are selling and good if you are buying.

Blackout
08-21-2010, 03:17 PM
well I don't see any point of waisting my time going to look at a car or truck or even parts that I don't have the money for. I don't work off assumptions. I know what I am buying and I know what I can get out of it. If someone is looking to get rid of something cheap then they will list it that way.

Now not too long ago I had a 98 GT that I wanted $3500 for. Well I got every lowballing jackass that didn't have the money anyways people you can think of. One guy even admitted that he was looking to buy to resell. I just started laughing, locked up the car, closed my garage door and went inside leaving the guy outside looking stupid.

I guess the morals of the story is that I don't tolorate stupid people. and if you price it a little high, the people with money will buy it but they will if you will take any lower, but normally there smart about it and will buy it for what it's worth. You will alway find some idiots out there who think that there going to con you to sell them your stuff stupid cheap.

BTW.....NEVER..........NEVER...........NEVER go to someones house or meet them to see your car! If the lazy bastard is not willing, or have the money to drive to come see it then they don't have the money to buy the car. I have went to Columbus, Indianapolis, Louisville and even Tennessee to go and buy, look at cars. I will go where the deal is and before I go I will request the pictures of what I want to see before I travel that far.

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-21-2010, 06:10 PM
what kills me is you ask someone what bottom dollar is they say 2500 then you say well i will offer 2100 for it and they say give me 2300 you can have it.. Thats why people get low balled, if bottom dollar is 2300 just say so

OK but, if bottom dollar was 2500 why would you offer 2100? Seems just as stupid as taking 2300 after saying they wouldn't take less than 2500. Why lowball someone directly after asking what's the lowest they'll take?

Dirtyd0g
08-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Value is a matter of opinion, it is only worth what someone will give you for it. The only way of knowing what it is worth is by knowing what someone is willing to give you for it.
Ala

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Well yes and no. There's worth and then there's the local economy and how broke everybody is.

If you spend 5k building an engine and it has never been ran, to me that engine is worth 5k. You might ask a little less just to get money back on it and because you know not everyone has 5k in their pocket to shell out and buy it or else why would they buy it from you and not the company you bought it from..., but to be lowballed further is an insult to me. To say that the engine is only worth what you're offering is retarded if i'm standing there with receipts from last week when i built it and it hasn't ever been started. There's WORTH and then there's realistic resale price. You obviously can't expect to get brand new price out of something, since if they wanted it brand new they'd just go to wherever you got it and pay the same amount.

It's like so many cars that get sold...people say "try to build it for this much" and they're right. You can't. But just because everybody is a cheap ass and broke and wants to offer you half of what you're asking doesn't mean it's only worth that much because some guy from some other area who' NOT broke might come along and offer you full asking price or even more.

motox159
08-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Very well put Coupe

Mustard
08-21-2010, 11:55 PM
selling anything is a pain in the ass right now. I had a heavy bag and gloves on craigs list for $75. The bag is like less than 3 months old and the gloves are even newer. Some guy called me and said he would give me 20 bucks if I could bring it to him. I just laughed and hung up. I'll let stuff sit and collect dust before I give it away

9cobra4
08-22-2010, 12:45 AM

You're the type of guy the OP made this thread about. Lol

OK but, if bottom dollar was 2500 why would you offer 2100? Seems just as stupid as taking 2300 after saying they wouldn't take less than 2500. Why lowball someone directly after asking what's the lowest they'll take?

+1

Well yes and no. There's worth and then there's the local economy and how broke everybody is.

If you spend 5k building an engine and it has never been ran, to me that engine is worth 5k. You might ask a little less just to get money back on it and because you know not everyone has 5k in their pocket to shell out and buy it or else why would they buy it from you and not the company you bought it from..., but to be lowballed further is an insult to me. To say that the engine is only worth what you're offering is retarded if i'm standing there with receipts from last week when i built it and it hasn't ever been started. There's WORTH and then there's realistic resale price. You obviously can't expect to get brand new price out of something, since if they wanted it brand new they'd just go to wherever you got it and pay the same amount.

It's like so many cars that get sold...people say "try to build it for this much" and they're right. You can't. But just because everybody is a cheap ass and broke and wants to offer you half of what you're asking doesn't mean it's only worth that much because some guy from some other area who' NOT broke might come along and offer you full asking price or even more.

Exactly. I like your logic, sir. haha

racingrick
08-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Lately, I have been throwing good parts in the dumpster instead of going through the hassle of trying to sell them.

mwaller5672
08-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Don't you think to there is a whats it worth to you price and whats being ask. Maybe someone puts a motor up that is 500 bucks. My motor runs good but if I could get the motor for 350 it would make it worth my while to buy it. Is there really something wrong with saying " Hey if you decide you would take 350 let me know ". Now I'm not talking about some of the asshole stuff some people do but just plain out.
Mike

Jake
08-22-2010, 03:45 AM
i dont think there is anything wrong with making an offer thats a little low. not insultingly so, but you get the idea. but making someone go out of their way, when you made it sound like you were fine with the price, then offering less than half that? thats just f'd up.

9cobra4
08-22-2010, 04:04 AM
Don't you think to there is a whats it worth to you price and whats being ask. Maybe someone puts a motor up that is 500 bucks. My motor runs good but if I could get the motor for 350 it would make it worth my while to buy it. Is there really something wrong with saying " Hey if you decide you would take 350 let me know ". Now I'm not talking about some of the asshole stuff some people do but just plain out.
Mike

Nothing wrong with that at all, Mike. The OP means, cutting the price 60% and offering that. That's just a dick move and shouldn't be tolerated.

Dirtyd0g
08-22-2010, 08:00 AM
A common thing in the housing market right now is people buyign houses for little of nothing by just finding a buttload of them and putting in low ball offers. Granted 90% of the offers are refused, But that leaves 10%. It is all about supply and demand. If everyone wants what you are selling low ball offers will probably never be heard, but for instance if I see something I could use but don't really need and nobody is wanting to buy it I have no shame to put in an offer of what it is worth to me. Granted I don't have hard feelings if I am denied or even if someone offers more and they take that offer. If I agree to someones asking price and they sell it out from under me before the transastion can be made that is a different story.
Alan

NXcoupe
08-22-2010, 10:55 AM
The guy lived 2 hours away (so he said) and had contacted me a couple of times earlier in the week. I had the truck listed for $2800 obo on CL. In our last conversation, he wanted me to meet him this weekend, and I said, (trying to see if he is really wanting it and to move it faster) said "If you buy it before the weekend, I'll take 2k"...... I guess that made him feel like he had me in his sights, I came down 800 instantly and willing to drive to meet him..... Lesson learned, I wanted to be helpful, nice guy, give a good deal and it bit me in the ass..... I always want to give people the benefit of the doubt and unfortunely you cant do that with anyone anymore.

Well, I still will do it for certain people. But I will not do it for someone that I have never met, or do not trust. Like for instance, if you needed something, sure, I've seen you on the boards, and I know you know what it's like to get stung on something like this, so you won't do it in return.

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Mike

You're absolutely right...a lot of people are unrealistic about what something is worth, plain and simple. But, like the truck the OP is talking about, i don't think it's unreasonable what he's asking, and offering $800 after he took the time to bring it out and everything is absolutely an insult. I don't think it's wrong to privately message someone and say, "look i only have this much and i know that's way less but if you decide to take it that's what i have", just as long as you put it in those terms.

A good example....i'm getting into old '80s/90s freestyle BMX bikes, and i saw on another forum a guy went to look at this bike on craigslist, and it looked like it had sat in a garbage dump ever since '89 and was missing the back wheel....the guy actually said the bike was worth $7k, when i just bought the exact same bike off CL 95% original and ready to ride for $60 :lol:

Dirtyd0g
08-22-2010, 03:44 PM
I have to agree I think the guy was a moron, I went to indiana over a set of heads that was a similar deal, I even made a post about it. If you are going to ask someone to help you ou and drive a long distance to bring something to you, low balling them after they do it is just wrong. If he had low balled him before well, that wouldn't be so bad because nobody is out anything.
When I bought my converter equipment I found a guy on ebay selling an entire package for 40,000. With some discussion over the phone we agreed on 37,500
I loaded 2 trucks and a trailer and we drove to minneapolis. Before we went I asked the guy many question about the lathe. most tools I use have a d1-6 camlock for the mating point to the lathe. I asked the guy what his lathe had because the picture was terrible. He told me what I wanted to hear to sell the equipment. The rest of the pictures of the equipment looked great. When I got there and saw the equipment I was thoroughly disgusted. The converter weld aligner was busted for the most part he was using it by hand holding a mig gun while the machine just rotated for him. The leak tested was down right disgusting looking like he never added any bleach to the water or changed it. The bonder door was broken, the balancer display was busted so he was putting a 10 gram weight on all converter where the location light told him to and the lathe was the worst. What a pile it was. To top it all off he didn't want to talk to me because I look young, he wanted to talk to my mom's boyfriend because he was older. He changed his mind on the price when we got there telling me he had to get 40,000 out of it because that is what he paid for it. I asked why the pictures of the equipment looked so good but the equipment looked terrible. He told me those pictures where the pictures he took of the equipment when he bought it, 6 years earlier. I called ATI and asked about the cost of repairing the machines and they gave me a price of 22,000 so I went in and told the guy I could only give him 18,000 for the equipment and at that rate I would lose about 4,000 in shipping. I called ATI back and bought refurbished equipment (the bonder and leak tester were brand new) from them for the same amount of money I was going to pay for the junk. That guy ranted about me low balling him.....
Alan

may93
08-22-2010, 07:44 PM
It all comes down to asking a fair realistic price and posting plenty of pics for everyone to see. I won’t even look at a post for a car for sale if it doesn’t have pictures regardless of the asking price. With the ease of today’s cell phones and digital cameras I'm immediately suspicious of the for sale adds w/out pics. When it comes to the price just because a seller paid $3500.00 for a Mustang and then added $3000.00 in aftermarket parts doesnt make the car worth $6500.00. The truth is you’ll be lucky to get what you paid for the car originally in most cases. If you remove the aftermarket parts to resale them dont expect more than half what you paid new. Brand new parts in a box very seldom sale for more then 1/2 the original price unless it's someone you know buying the parts. It's unfortunate but that’s how it is.

An example being the 351 Windsor I have on an engine stand that I have over $3500.00 dollars in. It's never been started and the machine shop bill was over $2600.00. I would never try and sale the motor because I have too much in it and I figure someday I'll use it. Also looking at it on the buyers prospective being rebuilt means nothing unless it's done correctly. My saying it doesn’t make it so. It could start and run 5 minutes and seize right up. Won’t happen but when someone buys it off another’s word it’s a chance you take. At half the price of the original cost one may take that chance but if you’re asking full price very few will be interested.

Of course you'll always have the low ballers and those wanting to buy to resale as for a profit. If you ask a fair and firm price it will eliminate some of them. But when you say OBO or I need to sale quickly they'll come out of the woodwork.