PDA

View Full Version : Got a new .22 plinker on the way

ibstrokin
08-21-2010, 12:57 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2928/1114/1600/WaltherG22.jpg

A few buddies picked up some tactical .22's, I thought I would get one to join in the fun. I saw this @ Buds gun shop and thought it would be fun. I like that it's a bullpup, it would be nice if it had a larger magazine, but the design and look and price won me over. It should be here next week, and I'll get a range report soon.

ibstrokin
08-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Also, the one I ordered is OD green, these are available in left hand also.

Walter
08-21-2010, 01:05 PM
"Tactical .22" just sounds funny.

DeckerEnt
08-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Put a rail on any firearm and you can call it tactical. Saw a double barrel 12 guage with a rail mounted between the barrels. It was called the tactical double. LOL!!!

ibstrokin
08-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Ok how about "tacticool",lol. I have other rimfires that are very accurate, but this should have a fun factor to it, I'll put a red dot on it and just have fun with it.

ADaughen
08-21-2010, 03:05 PM
How much did you pay for that?

I was looking at a Sig 556 in .22... $450.

I shot the G22, it is OK. Can be finicky on ammo due to the recoil spring rates.

ibstrokin
08-21-2010, 04:58 PM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/11817

Black92LX
08-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Let us know how it shoots. Unfortunately I have heard it's a jam-o-matic without Premium CCI Mini Mags.

I have a Sig 522 I picked up for $400 and it has been flawless. Even with cheap thunderbolts.

ibstrokin
08-21-2010, 09:14 PM
I read all sorts of reviews, from jam-o-matic to flawless. I seemed to me that most of the jamming reviews were 4-5 yrs old. If it does jam, I'm sure it can be sorted out, but I like the bullpup styling, and the od green. So we'll see, I'll do a review after it's first range session.

ibstrokin
08-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Well I took the G22 to the range today. I put a red dot on it and started plinking. I was using CCI Blazer, which work great in my 10/22t, MKII, and Henry Golden boy, but in the G22, they gave me a lot of fail to feed jams. I was starting to get discouraged, but then a friend suggested I try some of his Federal bulk, so I did, and it loved them, no ftf jams out of the next 100 rounds or so that I put through it. As far as accuracy, I was using a red dot, so my groups were probably 2" @ 25yds. A scope would certainly tighten the groups, and so would ammo testing, but it's not a target gun.

But this is probably one of the funnest guns I have shot, the red dot makes target acquisition fast and fun. My only complaint would be the 10 round mag, but I knew that before I bought it. I would recommend this gun to anyone wanting a fun plinker that's a little different from the norm. The bullpup design makes it short and easy to maneuver. The trigger has a lot of takeup, doesn't break very crisp, but isn't too heavy, and I found it to be predictable.

Bottom line, well worth my money, I'm very happy with my purchase.

93hulk
08-28-2010, 01:26 AM
I shot this rifle today and it was a blast. I might pick one up.

ADaughen
08-28-2010, 07:13 PM
I read all sorts of reviews, from jam-o-matic to flawless. I seemed to me that most of the jamming reviews were 4-5 yrs old. If it does jam, I'm sure it can be sorted out, but I like the bullpup styling, and the od green. So we'll see, I'll do a review after it's first range session.

Did it come with another set of springs? I know the P22 does, if you get the combination barrels.

orangeconv
08-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Ruger mark is the way to go

Timido
08-29-2010, 12:53 AM
I saw a cool GSG 1911 .22 on aims site the other day...... The walther looks like a blast

ibstrokin
08-29-2010, 12:23 PM
The GSG 1911's look much better than the Chiappa 1911, but my Ruger mkii would wear either out I'm sure. I'm not sure about the springs, I'll have to check later.

ADaughen
08-29-2010, 08:54 PM
My MkII has hundreds of thousands of rounds down the barrel. As fast as I can pull the trigger they are down range in a nice ragged hole. Only thing I want for it is a Pac-Lite threaded barrel and more magazines.

Dad has been having a blast with his Walther P22 and suppressor.

My next .22 is either going to be a M&P .22 pistol or a Sig Mosquito.

Timido
08-30-2010, 12:08 AM
My dad let me use his 22/45 ruger for some plinking. I remember that gun being great. I took it out to shoot steal and it stovepiped about every time. I am going to un safety it and put a new extractor in it and give it a go. Its a mark3 22/45 I read all about the fixes for this. Its not even that old maybe a couple hundred rounds.

ibstrokin
08-30-2010, 01:46 AM
The mkiii's have the mag disconnect on them which makes their trigger a little worse from the factory, which is why I chose to buy a MKii. But someone makes a kit to eliminate the mag disconnect in the MKiii's.

My brother installed this majestic arms speed strip kit on my MKii, it makes it a breeze to pull the bolt and clean it straight through. http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html

Here is a post on Rimfire central about removing the mag disconnect, they advise using the Clark bushing.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348667&highlight=mkiii+trigger+disconnect

RimfireCentral.com is a great resource for all things rimfire, you should check them out if you haven't already. I go by stukpedal on there.

Timido
08-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Rimfirecentral is where I read also. I am still Timido there. I am ordering the clark bushing and the VQ trigger, sear, and extractor. I just got rid of the loaded chamber indicator and did the slingshot mod so I can release the bolt like every other gun I have ever owned. After I am done with it it will only have the manual saftey like it should.

pegasus
08-30-2010, 10:37 AM
My MkII has hundreds of thousands of rounds down the barrel. As fast as I can pull the trigger they are down range in a nice ragged hole. Only thing I want for it is a Pac-Lite threaded barrel and more magazines.

Dad has been having a blast with his Walther P22 and suppressor.

My next .22 is either going to be a M&P .22 pistol or a Sig Mosquito.

x1 i have a mark3 and its the funnest gun i have ever owend

ibstrokin
08-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Did it come with another set of springs? I know the P22 does, if you get the combination barrels.

Yeah, there is another spring in a bag that came with it.

skeptiq
08-31-2010, 04:06 PM
Dang it... you guys are killing me... My little brother just bought a .45 Taurus, a couple guys on here just bought some guns... now I am getting the gun bug... Thanks... Would love an EAA Witness / Tanfoglio / Baby Eagle 9mm...

ADaughen
08-31-2010, 11:48 PM
Dang it... you guys are killing me... My little brother just bought a .45 Taurus, a couple guys on here just bought some guns... now I am getting the gun bug... Thanks... Would love an EAA Witness / Tanfoglio / Baby Eagle 9mm...

Check out a CZ 75. My BIL has one and it is nice. Same profile as the EAA or Tangfolio. IIRC, he paid less than either of the other brands.

For comparison to the Baby Eagle check the CZ P-01... The IMI Baby Eagle was pretty heavy for what it was/is. Personally, I was looking at a summer CCW and wanted something lighter than my USPc. I ended up with a 9mm M&Pc when I went in to check out an IMI on sale. :rolleyes::bigthumb

Baby Eagle (compact 9mm) - Weight w/empty magazine 2 lbs. 5.7 oz.
P01 (compact 9mm) - Weight 1.8 lbs
M&P (compact 9mm) - weight with an empty magazine is 24.6 ounces. (1.5375 lbs)
*Disclaimer there are lighter, smaller pistols, but I wanted a double stack 9mm at the time.

Not bashing your selections, just trying to give you a wider range to agonize over. :lol:

87stangbbb
08-31-2010, 11:54 PM
GLOCKGLOCKGLOCKGLOCKGLOCK

ADaughen
09-01-2010, 12:42 AM

2x4, 2x4, 2x4 :flipoff:

I like the 3rd gens but price wise, they couldn't match the M&P ($450) or the IMI that was on sale ($425). Heck, even my NEW USPc was cheaper than a used Glock.

My buddy had gone in to get his used G18 and ended up calling me telling me they had 3 USP on sale $450 each. :eek: They said they couldn't move the "german grey" framed pistols so they marked them down. If I had the $$ I would have picked up the third one, too.

ibstrokin
09-01-2010, 05:35 AM

Glocks are good pistols, but by no means are they the best choice for every application.

ibstrokin
09-01-2010, 07:38 AM
This would be a great 22 mag plinker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2KZMI-qNvY

87stangbbb
09-01-2010, 07:44 AM
yeah i understand. i just know i would never get rid of my G22. i love the way it shoots

ibstrokin
09-01-2010, 08:05 AM
yeah i understand. i just know i would never get rid of my G22. i love the way it shoots

I have a G22 also that I won't get rid of, I still don't consider them to be the end all/be all of firearms.

skeptiq
09-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Check out a CZ 75. My BIL has one and it is nice. Same profile as the EAA or Tangfolio. IIRC, he paid less than either of the other brands.

For comparison to the Baby Eagle check the CZ P-01... The IMI Baby Eagle was pretty heavy for what it was/is. Personally, I was looking at a summer CCW and wanted something lighter than my USPc. I ended up with a 9mm M&Pc when I went in to check out an IMI on sale. :rolleyes::bigthumb

Baby Eagle (compact 9mm) - Weight w/empty magazine 2 lbs. 5.7 oz.
P01 (compact 9mm) - Weight 1.8 lbs
M&P (compact 9mm) - weight with an empty magazine is 24.6 ounces. (1.5375 lbs)
*Disclaimer there are lighter, smaller pistols, but I wanted a double stack 9mm at the time.

Not bashing your selections, just trying to give you a wider range to agonize over. :lol:

Didn't take it as bashing at all. I am familiar with CZ's. They are nice pieces... I just like the look of the other ones. The other gun I have been thinking about is the Stoeger Cougar. I have heard really good reviews on that one. Guns on my short list:

EAA witness compact 9mm
Stoeger Cougar 9mm
CZ 75 P-01 compact 9mm
KelTec PF9 or P11 9mm
Bersa Thunder UC 9mm

I used to have a Bersa Thunder 380 which was a great ccw. I think that handgun was more accurate than I am. It was a pleasure to shoot, easy to break down, and zero ftf / fte. That is the ONLY reason the Bersa makes the list.

I think it's time to start looking for my next gun. Thanks guys...

Ben