PDA

View Full Version : Boots....Who what when where and why....

Dirtyd0g
08-24-2010, 05:24 PM
So I need new boots really bad. I have a hard time finding boots that work for me. I have a 9&1/2 EEEE foot and the best I ever find is triple E width. Eventually my foot is hanging out the side. I will not touch any boots from department stores. My preference of all is Knapp but I guess they are gone.
Any recomendations. My boots need to be low cut, highly oil resistant, no steel toe.
Alan

k062693w
08-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Irish Setter boots made by Redwing !!! FTW I wear a 14 EEE and I have owned 4 pair of them and will never buy another boot again !!!
Just my $.02

PaulFiveOh
08-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Justins!

Can only speak from a quality standpoint but Justins are where it's at.

http://www.justinboots.com/boots/Justin_Original_Workboots_Splash.html

k062693w
08-24-2010, 05:50 PM
I thought I'd add a link !!!

http://www.irishsetterboots.com/

I buy the Upland series ...

stocknotch
08-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Out of all the boots i've bought the only ones that I would recommend are Hitchcock. They're known for their big sizes. The pair i bought were steel toes but i couldnt even tell other than the extra weight. Even after a hard days work...it still felt like i was walking on pillows and had no foot pain. They are kinda pricey (mine were 169.99) but they were worth it. I wore them for close to 2 years. Look them up online...i promise you wont regret it. BTW....Redwings sucks and are wayyy overpriced

Dirtyd0g
08-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Out of all the boots i've bought the only ones that I would recommend are Hitchcock. They're known for their big sizes. The pair i bought were steel toes but i couldnt even tell other than the extra weight. Even after a hard days work...it still felt like i was walking on pillows and had no foot pain. They are kinda pricey (mine were 169.99) but they were worth it. I wore them for close to 2 years. Look them up online...i promise you wont regret it. BTW....Redwings sucks and are wayyy overpriced

Link please. I am not apposed to paying for good boots if they last. I cannot deal with cheap boots, they hurt my feet and fall apart in about 2 months.
Alan

Dirtyd0g
08-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Justins!

Can only speak from a quality standpoint but Justins are where it's at.

http://www.justinboots.com/boots/Justin_Original_Workboots_Splash.html

I checked it out, I don't see anything with oil resistant or low cut.

Same for the irish setters. I need boots that can handle a high atf environment. non oil resistant soles melt in the high detergent fluid.
Alan

bestracing
08-24-2010, 06:29 PM
it was an esy find..

http://www.wideshoes.com/catalog.cfm?page=work-footwear_service-shoes

cstreu1026
08-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Did you try going to Foot Works on Reading Road Sharronville? They carry a variety of brands and are super knowledgeable about what they sell.

The last pair I bought were Redwings and they are the most god awful most uncomfortable and expensive pair of boots I have ever owned. I'm going back to Foot Works for a pair of Hytest Foot Rests for my next pair.

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Go to Footworks on Reading, and buy a pair of Hytest. Best boots i've ever put on. I'm not 100% if they come that wide but it's worth a try. Do you need steel toe? They're the most comfortable steel toe i've ever tried on and believe me i've tried everything out there...i've got a bit of a boot obsession because i can't stand uncomfortable feet.

Redwing are also very nice..you really can't go wrong there either. I have a pair that i've owned for 10 years and the tread isn't even wore off yet, no cracking in the leather, no stitches popped...just good boots and worth every penny.

There used to be this older guy who worked at Footworks..not sure if he's still around but when i went there for my Hytest he spent a solid hour with me making me try on everything in the store. The FIRST pair of boots he recommended were the Hytest and after trying on pretty much everything there, that's what i left with. He even brought out like 10 pair of the same boots and had me try on different boots from different pairs because one foot was a tiny bit wider than the other.

Dirtyd0g
08-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, my wife finally got ahold of Knapp and ordered me a pair that should be in in about 2 weeks. I tried redwings before and I'm sure they would work for carpenters or hunting, they don't work for my needs.
Next time I am over that way I will stop by footworks. I usually buy boots early so that I can break them in before I need them.
Alan

03z06vette
08-24-2010, 11:33 PM
x2 Red Wings all the way

capri5.0
08-24-2010, 11:44 PM
I wear Dr Martens, they last at least 2 years in shop environment and are the most comfortable i have ever worn. I prefer the industrial shoes over the boots.

http://www.dmusastore.com/c-5-industrial.aspx

03z06vette
08-24-2010, 11:51 PM
My last pair of Red Wings lasted 6 yrs. 13EE

Dirtyd0g
08-25-2010, 02:15 AM
I wear Dr Martens, they last at least 2 years in shop environment and are the most comfortable i have ever worn. I prefer the industrial shoes over the boots.

http://www.dmusastore.com/c-5-industrial.aspx

I had a pair of those I really liked, They didn't hold up as well as the Knapp, but they were comfortable. Where can you get them at?
I know everyone likes the redwings, they just have never worked for me.
If I could find the doc's i would probably go buy a pair for immediate/backup.
Alan

2Kblacksleeper
08-25-2010, 08:32 AM
I've bought 2 pairs of Doc's. 1 at boot country. I. Think they were seconds? No fabric covering the steel toe. Rubbed aginst my little toe and I quit wearing them.
The 2nd pair I found at dillards on clerance for 18 bucks. The best boots I've had in a while.
I always add an extra comfy insoles. I have super sensitive feet.
John

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-25-2010, 10:06 AM
I used to wear regular non steel Docs, and quit wearing them because the foot bed caved in under my big toe after about a year of wearing every pair i bought. They were always a bitch to break in and then that issue gave me a bad taste for Docs. Plus they've since changed to this pussy tread design...they've turned more trendy than anything.

Right now i'm wearing some non steel Rocky paraboots....they're great boots if you don't have to have steel toe. Next on my list is a pair of Corcorans.

big cheif
09-16-2010, 02:56 AM
i swear by rocky boots.I have a pair of wellingtons that i wear daily. they feel better than ANY shoe i have ever put on my feet. my gf tried them on one day,cause she wondered why i wear them daily. she said that she agreed on the comfort.

Dirtyd0g
08-20-2011, 02:54 PM
I finally found something that works well for me.
Throrogood 834-6905
The most comfortable boot I have ever owned. I am on my feet 16 hours a day so it matters. I bought another pair of Knapps and since the company was sold the product is crap. The guy that I have trusted for boots since I was 16 told me I would love these thorogood boots and he was right. They also make boots for post men, military, fire and police service. They are also made in the USA in Wisconsin. If you need a new pair of boots they are worth looking into. I didn't even put an insole in mine.
Alan

Buckeye
08-20-2011, 03:19 PM
I wear Rockies or Carolinas

djom1cincy
09-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Redwings ftmfw. I get about 2 years out of them wearing 5 days a week. Go with the 2.0 with the clear soles. The Cadillac of the boot world.

redfirepearlgt
09-06-2011, 05:16 PM
I use Timberland Pro series. Very comfortable, and I get about as much out of them as I do with RW's. I prefer a 1/2 boot so to speak. Do not need or prefer a full upper. They are much less than RW's. I buy all from bootcountry on Chester Road just off Kemper.

85_SS_302_Coupe
09-06-2011, 06:50 PM
I did eventually get a pair of Corcorans. I have to say they're the finest footwear i've ever owned. They'll probably last longer than my feet will.

Dirtyd0g
09-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Redwings ftmfw. I get about 2 years out of them wearing 5 days a week. Go with the 2.0 with the clear soles. The Cadillac of the boot world.

I have tried them a few times, they cannot handle transmission fluid.
Alan

cstreu1026
09-07-2011, 12:16 AM
I've got an almost new pair of redwings in my garage that I won't wear. They are just too damn uncomfortable. The Timberland boots I have are decent but I still love my Hytest that I got at Foot Works.

Goober
09-07-2011, 01:20 AM
I second Hytest. I'm on my feet 60-72 hours a week climbing around in Abrams and Strykers. I bought a set of redwings and the sides split out after 2 months and they hurt like hell. I threw a set of Carolinas in the trash after a week, most uncomfortable POS boot I've ever owned. I've got the same problem that you do Alan, short wide feet! Throw spurs and plantars heel on it and you'll see where I'm coming from lol.

duststang
09-07-2011, 08:40 AM
I personally like Hytest,Redwings and Carolina's. I like a light weight comfortable boot that allows you foot to beath and last. these three seem to work best for me.