PDA

View Full Version : Removing vinyl stripes

skeeter316
09-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Anyone out there remove vinyl stripes before? I have seen many ideas on the web but would like to know what technique or ideas you all may have tried and had success with. Thanks in advance for your help.

NO SHOT
09-16-2010, 10:28 PM
I've had good luck with a heat gun and patience!!!!LOL!!:)

Timido
09-16-2010, 10:42 PM
we use heat gun or air powered ereaser wheel

Mista Bone
09-17-2010, 12:23 AM
heat gun the some 3M product to remove the adhesive and blend it all in.

inferno50
09-19-2010, 11:16 AM
heat gun but stay back from the paint at least 10 inches with it. it will blister the paint on a plastic bumper even faster. use your fingernail or a plastic spreader to get it started. i had good luck with a soft plastic kitchen spatula although she didnt appreciate it.

redfirepearlgt
09-19-2010, 03:42 PM
I used a standard hairdryer to take off factory vinyl stickers. Worked great. No concerns with blistering paint. Just don't get in a hurry. Followed up with some surface cleaner that smelled kind've like mineral spirits. Seems like the brand was Senior Martin or something like that. Picked it up from a NAPA store. Can't remember exactly what it was called. That's been oh 15 years ago or so (1994). Hope that helps. I hear as another has said that the eraser wheel does wonders as well. Never used one though.

Black Horse
09-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Heat Gun with caution or a Hair Dryer on high. Or you can set it in the sun too. Paitience is the ticket, peel slowly. A plastic scraper can help at times but be careful not to mar the paint. Follow-up with some "Goo-Gone" to remove the left over residue. I would caution against mineral spirits, paint thinners, etc. as it will certainly dull the paint.

redfirepearlgt
09-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Heat Gun with caution or a Hair Dryer on high. Or you can set it in the sun too. Paitience is the ticket, peel slowly. A plastic scraper can help at times but be careful not to mar the paint. Follow-up with some "Goo-Gone" to remove the left over residue. I would caution against mineral spirits, paint thinners, etc. as it will certainly dull the paint.

Goo-gone, that's the ticket. Forgot all about it. Good call. The stuff I was referring to wasn't mineral spirits just reminded me of it. Can't remember what it was called. Sucks when you realize that things you seem to have only used yesterday you actually used 15 years ago. LOL!