PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump wont kick off? Engine wont start?

1986GT
09-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Supercharged 86 GT.

It has a 190 in tank and a Vortech T rex boost a pump. Both are working and sound good. The fuel pressure gets to 40 psi and stays there while both pumps will just run forever. Under the hood it sounds a little like gurgling. Like air is in with the fuel. The car turns over and just sputters now and again. Car has run good for years this is not a new combo. Before the problem when you turned the key on the pumps ran a second and kicked off at around 43-45 psi if I remember right and then shut off. Then it fired up beautifully.

I am thinking the pump in the tank has gotten weak or is leaking air or something. I am not sure. Help me out peeps. Thank You!
Justin

jccox77
09-19-2010, 09:56 AM
i had a 86 that did that a buddy hooked the cables up backwords or jumped it with cables crossed and popped the ecm and after that it did the same thing fuel pump ran all the time an dno start sounds like ecm is it the stock 86 computer in it
just a thought

1986GT
09-22-2010, 08:47 PM
i had a 86 that did that a buddy hooked the cables up backwords or jumped it with cables crossed and popped the ecm and after that it did the same thing fuel pump ran all the time an dno start sounds like ecm is it the stock 86 computer in it
just a thought

I think you might be right. Put a new holly 255lph forced induction pump in it today and exact same problem exists. Pump runs and runs. It hits 40 psi when you turn the key on and holds at 35 when you turn it off. That should be plenty to start the car.
With the pedal to the floor turning it over it backfired through the mufflers but it did start. Sounded like it was literally running on 2 maybe 3 cylinders max. It was like the injectors were firing at all the wrong times. I checked the dizzy it is tight so the timing is not the issue.
I think the computer is seriously wounded and only half ass working. Is that possible? Or do they either work or not work.

Also worth noting is that I found the tire had worn through the mass air harness and 2 wires were bare and laying against the spring. I dont know if they touched or not but would this fry the computer?
I guess I am going to look for a computer.

tdm309
09-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Yeah man you have all the tell tale signs of a bad ecm. The ground circuit in the ecm goes bad and then the fuel pumps run constant. Go to AZ and get you a new computer. Shoud fix it

1986GT
09-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Yeah man you have all the tell tale signs of a bad ecm. The ground circuit in the ecm goes bad and then the fuel pumps run constant. Go to AZ and get you a new computer. Shoud fix it

Not to sound stupid but what is AZ? Thanks for the input.

k062693w
09-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Not to sound stupid but what is AZ? Thanks for the input.

Auto Zone !!! LOL

1986GT
09-24-2010, 06:48 AM
Oh! hahaha! 89$ with 1 year warranty. Should be here today. Thanks!