PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of a stripped car?

ADaughen
09-20-2010, 01:51 PM
I picked up a car off a buddy, it is a salvage. I am stripping off all the parts I need to keep mine running then I need to get rid of the rolling chassis/shell. What is the best way to get rid of it? Junk yard or Craigslist?

draggin50
09-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Take it in for scrap and make a couple hundred off of it! Thats what I would do.

Marker1989
09-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Im sure somebody on craigslist will come get it. When I had a shell to get rid of I cut it into 3 pieces and loaded it into a truck and off to the scrapyard I went.

Edit: Draggin50 has a good point, You'll get the most money from scrapping it.

Rick93coupe
09-20-2010, 02:04 PM
I'd cut the core support out of it before I scrapped it. There's always a need for them.

orangeconv
09-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Need a title for scrap

Marker1989
09-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Need a title for scrap

Only if its a car.. 3 or 4 large chunks of car, now that's just scrap metal

BlazinEagle
09-20-2010, 03:01 PM
I thought you do not need a title if it doesnt have the engine in it anymore?

ffmueller81
09-20-2010, 03:05 PM
^^ most places need a title even for a shell as far as I know....

ADaughen
09-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks guys.

I have a title. But it wasn't inspected to be re-titled for road use after the wreck. ???

I'll probably post up what I don't use on CL to see if anyone wants the interior, etc, then have Dad haul it to a yard for me.

Anyone know a decent yard in the Dayton area?

mustang8998
09-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Google "scrap yards dayton oh", there is a bunch.

Dirtyd0g
09-20-2010, 04:51 PM
If you have a title scrap it.
Alan

1992MustangDW
09-20-2010, 04:57 PM
I put two 240 on cl for scrap with out titles. was gone in ten minutes lol

ADaughen
09-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Google "scrap yards dayton oh", there is a bunch.

I know there is a bunch. I guess I will have to drag the truck around and find out which one gives me the best price. :rolleyes:

I know there are some Dayton members on here that have dealt with some of these yards, I figured it would save me a headache if they could refer me to one they got good prices at. :bigthumb

mustang8998
09-20-2010, 06:42 PM
I know there is a bunch. I guess I will have to drag the truck around and find out which one gives me the best price. :rolleyes:

I know there are some Dayton members on here that have dealt with some of these yards, I figured it would save me a headache if they could refer me to one they got good prices at. :bigthumb

What, you don't have a phone? :lol:

mwaller5672
09-20-2010, 07:02 PM
It is a rust bucket or what is it.

ADaughen
09-20-2010, 08:18 PM
What, you don't have a phone? :lol:

I don't know how much the scrap will weigh. :flipoff:

MFIELD
09-20-2010, 08:22 PM
What kind of car?

ADaughen
09-20-2010, 08:25 PM
It is a rust bucket or what is it.

83 S-10 Blazer, 4x4 with 208k miles. It was hit twice in a matter of five minutes last winter and he parked it. It is rough but there are plenty of usable parts. Shame to junk it, but I need the parts for mine and he didn't want to spend the money or time to get it fixed and re-titled. He had kept it all this time with the intent of turning it into a mudder. Frame is straight and cab seems decent.

I am pretty much stripping the old one. The '83 has a 5000lb receiver. The door skins are a lot nicer than my 91's, I need the trans ('91 won't shift into OD) and I like the 4x4 selector better than the haphazard electronic unit currently in the '91. So probably the diff, too. Windshield is still a maybe; I haven't taken one out in 10 years and I was only following my boss's instructions as he guided me through the process. Engine feels strong so I might just grab that as a spare.

I have a guy swapping me tires so it will go in with three bald and one 50% tire. Lastly, I am looking to take the tailgate spare tire holder and see if I can mount it on mine (I have the internal spare).

mustang8998
09-20-2010, 08:37 PM
I don't know how much the scrap will weigh. :flipoff:

WTF does that have to do, with what a place will pay, per pound?

One place may pay x and another pays z.

:flipoff::flipoff: So, go ahead and tow that futher fucker all over town!

94tchikinv8
09-21-2010, 12:04 AM
I have taken stuff to river metals recycling in xenia with no title before. They basically make sure it has no engine and no trans and that they are not inside the vehicle. They will usually pay sheet iron or short iron price, I can't remember which, but it is less than the car price if you have a title. I have no idea what scrapyards are paying now.

You should always take the cats and easily removed aluminum and sell them separate if you want a few extra bucks. Tires are easy to get off aluminum rims if you have a tire hammer. Also might have a brass radiator if it's that old.

-Rob

ADaughen
09-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Tires are easy to get off aluminum rims if you have a tire hammer.

-Rob

If I take the tires and wheels off, how do I get it on/off the trailer? :confused:

crowbar032
09-21-2010, 07:51 AM
At least here in Indiana, most scrap yards require the gas tank to be removed and won't take tires. Once the gas tank is removed they will take it if it's flattened or cut in half, but it can't be on the vehicle. As far as the tires, I pushed it onto the trailer then removed all but two lugs on each wheel and they were very loose. The scrap yard had an excavator with a claw, he picked up the truck and gave me time so I could get the tires off and back in the trailer before he threw the whole thing across the scrap yard. Very cool to see that.

ADaughen
09-21-2010, 08:19 AM
At least here in Indiana, most scrap yards require the gas tank to be removed and won't take tires. Once the gas tank is removed they will take it if it's flattened or cut in half, but it can't be on the vehicle. As far as the tires, I pushed it onto the trailer then removed all but two lugs on each wheel and they were very loose. The scrap yard had an excavator with a claw, he picked up the truck and gave me time so I could get the tires off and back in the trailer before he threw the whole thing across the scrap yard. Very cool to see that.

That might work.

That reminds me want to inspect the gas tank as mine has the pinhole leaking issue.

94tchikinv8
09-21-2010, 05:59 PM

Yeah, usually they'll unload it with a big fork lift or something, just set some wood blocks under the frame or something so they can unload it. I just take the wheels off after I get it on the trailer.

-Rob