PDA

View Full Version : Nutrisystem, has anyone tried it?

Markcore
09-24-2010, 09:31 AM
So as I get older and older, I find it harder and harder to lose weight. Working out isn't my issue, but keeping a good diet is! Pizza and Ice Cream is my dope and beer! HA :lol:

So has anyone here tried the Nurisystem diet before? I think I'm going to give it a go. I'm not a picky eater in the sense of taste, I actually like plain stuff. :bigthumb Just wanted to talk with someone who has tried it too.

Thanks.

relaxednoma
09-24-2010, 10:08 AM
my friend tony has done it now since right after cavalcade in january (we work the show and were rather uncomfortable in the fit of the shirts we wore, so we decided to do something about it). He's lost I'd say around 20 to 25 lbs between that and good exercise. I myself dont have the $$ to spend towards it so I've gone a different route, that I've somewhat stuck to. I've basically cut my portions in half, which in my case (and I think this is in general) causes your stomach to shrink, so you become fuller faster, eating less, less eating + calorie intake = weight loss). i walk/run/jog either every morning and night or one or the other. Also have a somewhat physical 2nd job. Now that I've gotten more disiplined about not munching on stuff or drinking soda, coffee etc. (only water) throughout the day doing my desk job, i've noticed more progress with a combonation of the 3.

my daily intake is a combo basically of this

breakfast: 2 pieces wheat toast, plain, granola bar

mid AM snack: 10 wheat thins (yes I actually count them lol)

lunch: plain deli sammich on wheat (usually turkey or chicken) 6 wheat thins

mid PM snack: 10 wheat thins (again yes I count them out lol)

dinner 1 pc plain grilled chicken. 1 serving of greens (usually steamed broccoli)

Usually on sundays I'll grill up a bag of the Kroger brand boneless chicken that I will use for the week/weekend food intake. I will count out my wheat thins and put them in a plastic baggy for easy of grabbing in a rush. I have a water bottle that is almost always within reach and a rotating stock of 6 of the throw away water bottles that I wash weekly and refill. No fast food, very little if any beer (this hurts my feelings lmao), no sweets and no soda. I will occiasionally work in an iced coffee from somewhere as well.

at the top of every hour I do 25 pushups. Looking at picking up kettleballs soon as I have read (and remember mad matt posting about them) that they will whoop ass lol

holeshot
09-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Nutrisystem has a very good marketing strategy, but the bottom line is you are eating fewer calories, which equals losing weight. If you have the will power...you can save yourself a shitload of money, and just count calories in your everyday food without spending $400 a month on nutrisystem.

Eat between 1000-1200 calories a day with normal everyday activities and you will start losing weight. Throw in some exercise and you will speed up the process! Calorie intake trumps everything when you are trying to lose weight.

I'm not trying to put down nutrisystem, I'm sure it works because Dan Marino lost like 22lbs or something....but you can do the same for a lot less $$$.

Black92LX
09-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Biggest thing is to cut carbs.
More veggies, less bread, pasta, potatoes, and beer.
You cut those out will will notice a difference quite quickly.

I have cut bread out pretty much entirely and use low carb wraps, still tasty. A bit more expensive then plain old white bread but helpful.

Though when cutting carbs and working out the thing to remember is you will drop weight quickly but then begin to gain it back. I have remained the same weight but lost two inches in my waist. So don't just go by the number on the scale.

Protein Shakes are your friend as well.

Nutrisystem works. But all it does it cut down portions to a certain calorie size. This you can do yourself if you actually have the desire to do so. Plus you will eat better tasting food.

Markcore
09-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Nutrisystem has a very good marketing strategy, but the bottom line is you are eating fewer calories, which equals losing weight. If you have the will power...you can save yourself a shitload of money, and just count calories in your everyday food without spending $400 a month on nutrisystem.

I said, food is my CRACK! Tell a crackhead to only use once a day :lol:

If it is left up to me to choose what foods and the portions, I'll FAIL!

Ranger50
09-24-2010, 11:29 AM
I said, food is my CRACK! Tell a crackhead to only use once a day :lol:

If it is left up to me to choose what foods and the portions, I'll FAIL!

Then you have to NOT buy the pound packing on crap at the store!!! Leave the chips for the fatass welfare rat rolling around in the electric cart with 7 kids running around causing havoc!

Cut out the overprocessed foods, yes I'm looking at you, HFCS. Eat the COMPLEX carbs, not sugars.

If the crap isn't in the house, you can't eat it. What is left should be healthier and if consumed in an overabundance doesn't hurt you nutritionally.

Brian

Markcore
09-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Fuck it, I'll just save up the $400 each month that the Nutrisystem cost, eat whatever I want, then every 6 months get lip-o!

/Thread

347StrokedGT
09-24-2010, 11:45 AM
There are so many ways and different opinions out there. In talking with a Personal Trainer this is what he told me to do.

First and Foremost, Eat a Balanced Diet with a lot of protein

Workout 4 to 5 times a week. Combine Cardio and Weight Training.
ie.... Do 15 to 20 Minutes on a Elipitical or Treadmill. Work out different parts of your body (one day work out chest and back, next day work out legs.. and so on to help break down the musceles)
The protein will build up lean musceles that will in turn burn more calories.

That will in turn build up your metobolism where you will burn calories just because you've built up more lean musceles

Im a big guy and started this and lost a total of 20 pounds in 2 weeks

Goldenpony
09-24-2010, 11:51 AM
I have been using NutriSystem for 8-10 months now. I have kind of slacked off, but I want to hit it harder again. I think it is a great plan. I am on the diabetic plan. I have lost maybe 45 lbs. My blood sugar and blood pressure are greatly improved. I had to buy new clothes for summer. It's not perfect, but the food isn't hateful and if you follow it, you will loose weight. Good Luck! :D

mustangbob
09-24-2010, 11:52 AM
If you want to loose weight safely and not bounce around with it you should lose 1-2 lbs a week. So 1lb of fat is 3500 calories and if you cut out 500 calories a day that is 1 lb a week. So at that rate you would lose 52 lbs a year. And to be honest it doesn't matter where the calories are coming from, carbs or proteins, fats etc.. they are all calories. Atkins is low carb diet and it usually fails people. It was designed to be used for people requiring heart surgery to loose a large amount of weight quickly so they could have surgery faster. So eat what you want as long as you keep track of the calories. But if you trying to eat healthy you should watch out for high cholesterol and sodium foods as well.

cobra429boss
09-24-2010, 11:52 AM
walking is the key , try to walk at least 2 miles every day i have a cousin who has lost over 100lbs by just walking every day..

Markcore
09-24-2010, 12:11 PM
I have been using NutriSystem for 8-10 months now. I have kind of slacked off, but I want to hit it harder again. I think it is a great plan. I am on the diabetic plan. I have lost maybe 45 lbs. My blood sugar and blood pressure are greatly improved. I had to buy new clothes for summer. It's not perfect, but the food isn't hateful and if you follow it, you will loose weight. Good Luck! :D

Thank you! That is what I was looking for. :bigthumb

347StrokedGT
09-24-2010, 12:14 PM
good luck with it.

Blackpony
09-24-2010, 02:59 PM
My wife tried for three months with slow results. Some of the food was pretty tasty but most was like eating cardboard. After she got off of it and started cutting her food intake after 6 months with slight excercise she lost over 80 pounds.

MrsAPE
09-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Thank you! That is what I was looking for. :bigthumb

Hope it works for you!! Glad you got a reply that you asked for.

PonymanfiveO
09-24-2010, 05:17 PM
at the top of every hour I do 25 pushups. Looking at picking up kettleballs soon as I have read (and remember mad matt posting about them) that they will whoop ass lol

Kettlebells are a bad ass full body workout! Its more enjoyable than just doing the same old bench press at the gym every day.

Joe Daniels is doing beginner kettlebell classes at his "Swing This" studio in Latonia. Saturday classes are about an hour long and you cant beat it for ten bucks!!! Add Daniels Fitness Training on facebook or check out his site. http://danielsfitnesstraining.wordpress.com/

You can also pick up Bells at Dicks Sporting Goods, or on the internet, and do some stuff at home.
Joe has tons of You Tube vids you can watch and teach yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPn1NRbZ9p4&feature=player_embedded

Scott, come down and try it sometime...I need a new workout buddy. :bigthumb

PonymanfiveO
09-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Im curious to hear what you think of the Nutrisystem. The commercials make it sound pretty good!

I have taught myself to eat healthier with a trick at the grocery store. Next time you shop for food, keep your cart on the outside perimeter of the store. Pick up fresh fruit, veggies, whole wheat breads, and lots of healthy meat at the deli and meat dept. Stay away from the isles full of frozen and canned foods. Simple as that. ;)

94tchikinv8
09-24-2010, 06:45 PM
There are so many ways and different opinions out there. In talking with a Personal Trainer this is what he told me to do.

First and Foremost, Eat a Balanced Diet with a lot of protein

Workout 4 to 5 times a week. Combine Cardio and Weight Training.
ie.... Do 15 to 20 Minutes on a Elipitical or Treadmill. Work out different parts of your body (one day work out chest and back, next day work out legs.. and so on to help break down the musceles)
The protein will build up lean musceles that will in turn burn more calories.

That will in turn build up your metobolism where you will burn calories just because you've built up more lean musceles

Im a big guy and started this and lost a total of 20 pounds in 2 weeks

This is definitely the best strategy. It really needs to become a lifestyle change to make your efforts last long term. Otherwise you will start gaining weight back when you stop dieting. You shouldn't get discouraged if your progress slows soon. The first two weeks are generally the biggest change and you're losing a lot of water weight.

Relaxednoma- If your plan is working for you, that's great, but you should probably try to work some more fruits and veggies into your diet; it seems biased towards grains/carbs.

To count calories, you need to google some calorie calculators and see how many calories you actually need to consume (using size, age, body weight, activity level, etc.). You should keep track of your normal calorie intake for a few days or weeks to see how many calories you consume to maintain your current body weight. The general rule is to subtract 500 from that number and use the result as your limit for daily caloric consumption. It is different for everyone, and if you consume too few calories you may not lose any weight if your body goes into "starvation mode."

You should try to limit junk intake and try to eat clean, ie. fresh fruits/veggies, whole grains, lean meats and fish. You should also start by measuring or counting out serving sizes when you start your new diet. That way you see exactly how much food you are consuming in order to control portion size. This is key.

Like ranger50 said, if it isn't in your house, you can't eat it. Substitute fruit or a SMALL glass of juice (juice is loaded with sugar) instead of candy or pop if you have a sweet tooth. It's ok to cheat now and then, but don't make a habit of it or you'll be back in the same boat.

-Rob

Ranger50
09-24-2010, 09:22 PM
www.mypyramid.gov

I had to use this site for my Nutrition class. Best one out there. It isn't perfect, but it's better then some of the replies posted in this thread.

Brian