PDA

View Full Version : prepping for paint

sean
09-30-2010, 12:59 AM
I am getting some parts for my clown car....(1990 miata) The whole car will be blue aside from the deck lid and the front piece. I will be sanding and priming it gray. (just roughing up the black paint then prime it. The nose is a green and its plastic. I have an orbital sander or I can do it by hand but how do I prime the front peice so the primer and then paint will stick to it. Also Should I hand sand the whole body with some extra fine paper? My goal is to have a decent paint job about the same color as it is now. Its mariner blue and would like to keep it that color but add some metallic. I would also like a price from one of you paint guys to do a quick paint job on it. No door jams or under hood or trunk. Just body and I am not looking for anything show quality or anything. It will still have some dings. Just a nice mariner blue metallic (or something close so the door jams and other stuff wont be noticeable. Something that will shine up and stay that way for at least a year if i take care of it. I will help in any way i can if you want me to.

sean
09-30-2010, 03:04 AM
May need i little rust repair on the pass side in front of the rear tire.

blown96cobra
09-30-2010, 10:12 AM
sean if you have a compressor i suggest buying a gun and doing it yourself, thats the only way to learn, and its a hell of a lot cheaper. id be more than happy to come over and help once you get the prep work done lol.

sean
09-30-2010, 04:17 PM
sean if you have a compressor i suggest buying a gun and doing it yourself, thats the only way to learn, and its a hell of a lot cheaper. id be more than happy to come over and help once you get the prep work done lol.

I dont have a compressor or a place I can paint it.

sean
10-02-2010, 02:55 AM
I will be doing some bondo work. Does anyone want to spray this thing for me?

inferno50
10-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Don't prime the new fenders and bumper now. Just hit the fenders with a red scuff pad and the bumper with a grey scuff pad and some comet cleaner with water. When you are ready tto paint you can bulldog adhesion promote the bumper and then shoot it all with a coat of dp or some other kind of epoxy primer. The least amount of material on a plastic bumper the better.

sean
10-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Since its staying the same color I figured the day its getting done I will scuff the whole thing and clean it real well. The only off color is the green nose and the blach deck.

If anyone want to paint it let me know.

chris91
10-02-2010, 01:49 PM
I can work a spray can pretty good man! Lets have at it!! haha

sean
10-02-2010, 02:12 PM
I can work a spray can pretty good man! Lets have at it!! haha

No can... lol
Would like a half way decent job. Silly

NO SHOT
10-03-2010, 12:51 AM
I'll pm you my number I may have a opening coming up we can work something out...:D