PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with Viper smart start remote start?

89notch
10-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Looking at having this installed just wondering if anyone has any experience

http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/iPhone/

66efistang
10-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Let me know if you get it, I might be interested too...

03z06vette
10-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Audio sensations will install for free if ya buy it from them. Im not sure of there #. I had one installed on my wifes f150 and never had any trouble with it.

Kevin1989
10-17-2010, 07:33 PM
not sure about what tommy said but audio sensation is a good bet! They do good work, good guys down there!

03z06vette
10-17-2010, 09:58 PM
That deal was 3 years ago, may not be true. But it never hurts to ask..

thecollector
10-18-2010, 05:10 PM
As a former line tech 75% of the PATS related failures my shop saw came from aftermarket remote start systems. Not sure specific brand quality or installer history but I learned to stay away the easy way. Ill deal with a cold car for a few minutes. Call J&N auto electric, they can probably tell you the more problematic brands.

89notch
10-18-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm sure it has to do with quality of install. I've seen some shady alarm installs in the past. I'm having mine done at car stereo one on weds.

thecollector
10-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Most of the jobs I performed where shorted/defective modules. Wiring (while most always horrific and sloppy at best) was rarely the cause of problems.

Also Check with your insurance carrier. If your vehicle is equipped with a computer chip key it may require a spare Key to be placed within a reasonable distance of your pats transponder-the key is ussually "hidden" in the column in a weak strong box of sorts. Most insurance carriers will not cover loss due to theft if the derilict is provided a key to the vehicle. I have seen 2 claims denied after the vehicle was recovered. Your carrier will most likely want to know if you have installed a system like this, as it makes your car very vulnerable to theft.

Some other systems piggyback to the PCM and only let the car idle to warm up. If any input (brakes, throttle, gear selector) is given w/o the key in the ignition it will shut the car down. While these systems are more insurance friendly either have the ability to smoke a processor easily when they go bad. Shorting the aftermarket module is not guaranteed to smoke your processor but it's a pricey gamble. Who wants to pay $800 for a new Ford PCM or hook up a stand alone system on a Taurus? Your are also stuck at a dealer unless you find a good shop that can download a new PCM program. Either way removing/repairing it will cost 3-4 times its installation.

Not trying to talk you out if it:rolleyes:, but every customer of mine had no idea the potential risk prior to installing the system. Just thought Id throw it out there that way you had fair warning. Best of luck:bigthumb in your remote endeavors.

89notch
10-18-2010, 07:32 PM
My truck doesn't have a chip key

thecollector
10-18-2010, 11:05 PM
You should be good to go then. If the controller ever takes a dump you should be good after removal(depending on install method).