PDA

View Full Version : Protecting yourself when buying guns.

Lexstang
10-17-2010, 10:33 PM
I am curious about buying used guns. I am thinking of buying a couple guns, nothing expensive. Here in lexington there are always shriners gun shows, shows at heritage hall and court days was this past weekend and especially pawn shops. Is there a way to ensure you wont end up with a hot gun? I know something too good to be true usually is, but i was wondering if there is a way other than having a buddy to check serial numbers and make sure you don't end up in the pokey.
Almost did that with a car once. It didn't run so I didn't see low price as a problem. I didn't know that wrecking yard had been in trouble before. The dang car is still in my name because the state actually transfered the title to me and then sent the police to me because the owners girlfriend stole car and took it to junkyard and he kept title in the glovebox. He never transfered car back since it didn't run.

marauder
10-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Just understand local and federal laws fully when dealing with handguns. Price really isn't an indication to the history of the piece. The seller may not know he bought a "hot" gun either and honest to goodness didn't know he sold you anything like that.

Used to new isn't that big of a difference in cost if you'd like the peace of mind. I've had a couple ran to be sure, any gun shop should be able to tell you if it's a "clean" gun if you're extremely worried. Be sure to do that before you purchase because you will have to surrender it if the gun is stolen and you'll be dealing with a lot of extensive paperwork and explaining.

I typically require the seller (or buyer if I'm selling) has a KY CCDW and current and valid Driver's License, some go as far as making copies of this information. It's really who you talk to, some people are comfortable with the "bought it at a gun show" excuse if any issues come up with it down the road.