PDA

View Full Version : Was doing some late night reading and found this.. New Ohio GVWR rules.

Ranger50
11-03-2010, 03:54 AM
Not pretty...better take that piss and crap before leaving and leave the ole lady at home too....

http://fullerisford.wordpress.com/2010/08/11/new-regulations-for-vehicles-with-gvwr-of-10001-to-26000-lbs/

Brian

Mista Bone
11-03-2010, 04:34 AM
if you are not for hire, aka private owner then how does this apply????

The truck or van must have company marking on each door

Mista Bone
11-03-2010, 04:37 AM
right....here is the correct info.......

http://www.puco.ohio.gov/PUCO/Consumer/Information.cfm?id=10148

The Public Utilities Commission (PUCO) has revised its rules relative to motor carrier transportation safety. The new rules apply to businesses that use vehicles with a gross vehicle weight (GVW), gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 10,001 to 26,000 pounds to transport property or passengers on a not-for-hire basis within Ohio. Previously, vehicles of this size were not covered by safety rules. Individuals transporting personal items that are not in furtherance of a commercial enterprise will not be subject to the new rules.

Metcalf Racing
11-03-2010, 05:38 AM
Oh its for real. They got me about two months ago. I had about 20 things on my Chevy3500 I had to change. The state highway patrol are being big time jerk bags about it too. I've warned everyone I've seen about it. They just got a guy I work with last Friday. Now regular 1tons have to be inspected. And you must have a DOT medical card to drive one.

Mista Bone
11-03-2010, 06:37 AM
Craig, this is for your concrete business right?

I didn't know if this thread was aimed at the business people or the drag racers. A simple car and trailer behind a diesel truck will be more than 10k with ease.

Metcalf Racing
11-03-2010, 07:00 AM
It was for my business. I'm not sure the rules but they suck

Ranger50
11-03-2010, 11:57 AM
But that is the whole rub, who determines "commercial enterprise"? DOT officer of course! So while they probably won't ticket you for anything, they can detain you all day if they want to because they can now. Normally, I only have a few days to do anything, so to be detained for BS stuff is VERY costly to myself.

Brian

Metcalf Racing
11-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Yeah they had me stopped for over an hour. I had to call and reschedule my concrete. I'm just glad I caught them before they loaded the truck or I would have had to buy it

Johnson1134
11-03-2010, 02:45 PM
that is weird they have been doing that for years now.i worked at a construction co. in 2005 and everybody that worked there had to get a dot card just for that reason. we pulled mini excavator's and under cdl dump truck's.so they(the construction company) wouldnt get fined.which is why i got my class a cdl and keep my dot card up to date.yeah when i worked at rumpke they stopped me once a week usually thursdays that was my heaviest day and they would take 2-3 hrs to weigh me and give me a overweight.lol.clermont county sherrif.

bestracing
11-03-2010, 03:03 PM
A Chevy 3500HD alreay has a minimum GVWR of 10,500 and can go into the 11K GVWR depending on the options.

Sucks since now they will go after anyone hauling a non-RV trailer with a 1-ton truck.

Ranger50
11-03-2010, 03:35 PM
A simple car and trailer behind a diesel truck will be more than 10k with ease.

Actually, my wife's Avalanche is 5600#, add 1k for my trailer, 3k for a car, and before I sit in the seat or add gear and other people, I am at 9600#. I'll pass on the risk of being stopped.

I'm going to have to run a different route to avoid Ohio at ALL costs. Like I said before, I don't have the time to get hassled over stupid chit and prove I am not in commercial enterprise because I have a trailer attached.

I really wish states would institute a "bridge" license like what Michigan has in it's Chauffeur's category license. It is meant for quasi-commercial ventures where a CDL isn't needed, basically everything under 26k, but you need more qualifications then a plain ole Operator's license. I refuse to get a CDL on the very fact that because you have a CDL, that even if you violate the law while not in a CDL required vehicle, it goes against your CDL. Plus all the other differences between the licenses.

Brian

BigBadStang
11-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the world of the American truck driver!
Look into something called CSA 2010, and see what we are facing soon and down the road.

Now, I don't know for sure, but technically, doesn't any truck being used for commercial use, including "not for hire" have to be licensed as such, with private use trucks licensed as Non Commercial? Wouldn't this be the factor in determining if the above laws applied or not?
It's just like everything else, the politicians have found a somewhat untapped source of revenue (tax), and they're going after it.

I know the laws on 'non-comm' licenses changed some time ago, because Ohio used to require all pickup trucks to be licensed as either 'commercial' or 'non comm'.

2Kblacksleeper
11-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Now that you mention the commercial vs non commercial thing, I just remembered that when I got tags for my 08 Tundra the lady asked some crazy question about weight hauling. I just said non commerical and what ever the lightest number for half ton.
I thought it was strange.
I mean hell we already pay an extra 20-30 bucks because we drive a truck and not a car. Now this crap.

thecollector
11-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Actually, my wife's Avalanche is 5600#, add 1k for my trailer, 3k for a car, and before I sit in the seat or add gear and other people, I am at 9600#. I'll pass on the risk of being stopped.

I'm going to have to run a different route to avoid Ohio at ALL costs. Like I said before, I don't have the time to get hassled over stupid chit and prove I am not in commercial enterprise because I have a trailer attached.

I really wish states would institute a "bridge" license like what Michigan has in it's Chauffeur's category license. It is meant for quasi-commercial ventures where a CDL isn't needed, basically everything under 26k, but you need more qualifications then a plain ole Operator's license. I refuse to get a CDL on the very fact that because you have a CDL, that even if you violate the law while not in a CDL required vehicle, it goes against your CDL. Plus all the other differences between the licenses.

Brian

The scaled weight is irrelevant as it pertains to this law. The law also applies to single vehicles and combo vehicles. If the GVWR of your avalanche is 5,600 lbs and you are pulling a trailer you would then add the trailers GVWR to the tow vehicle for a total combo GVWR. It is weight carring capability they are concerned with they know you are not going to scale out for axle weight distribution with vehicles this light.

What this means is any dually vehicle with a company logo is a moving target.

Any half ton pickup with a dual axle trailer is easy pickens (most dual axle trailers and half ton pu's combined GVWR's will exceed 10,001 lbs as will some single axle trailers).

Landscapers, contractors and anyone who drives a company tagged/ labeled vehicle beware as you are targets. The law only applies to commercial applications. If the vehicle is not used for a business then the laws do not apply. Farms do qualify as a business however they have some loopholes to take advantage of under the law.

My company maintains a fleet of pickups and trailers across the country for our regionalized sales force. I just auctioned 8 tandem axle 14ft enclosed cargo trailers and switched to all aluminum single axle trailers. The cost was high however I can stick a finger @ DOT and know im slipping under by 151 lbs:coo1:. No weigh stations, health cards, log books, safety kits, or driving time limits.

One of the sales guys from Tx was pulled over in Oklahoma by a highway patrolman prior to us becoming compliant. He let him off with written warnings since the law had just taken effect. The fines would have exceeded $5,000 if written as citations. I had trouble in the begining becoming compliant as few jurisdictions of law enforcement were aware of the law change. OSP from the commercial vehicle enforcement division North of Dayton helped me out. Their were only 2 officers who new anything about it then however judging from the massive influx of under CDL commercial vehicles pulled over I'm guessing more have been educated.

Just another money grab against small business. If they are concerned with our safety they would require endorsements on the license's of the elderly driving 40ft 18,000lb+ Rv's cruising around on a half pharmacy of prescription medication who can't back the rig up to save their own lives:rolleyes:.

Kevin1989
11-04-2010, 08:50 AM
company i work for already sent me for the physical... i have to have a wallet card and a huge paper on me when ever i drive a work truck. physical was BS made me read the lines, GUESS my height and wieght the did balance test and asked me if i was healthy.
we have to mark all of our trucks at the end of this month says boss man.

SN95N/A
11-04-2010, 10:51 AM
So they are pulling over people in 1ton trucks?I have a f250 diesel and I haul way over 10,000 numerous times.My dump trailer,truck,and gravel coming out of hanson gravel in hillsboro scale was 22,873.

Timido
11-04-2010, 11:52 AM
I think the main thing for non commercial is keep you trailer gvw under 10k and your total gvw under 26k. Get a health card. Understand the rules the best you can. Crazy my open trailer and excursion requires a health card and fire extinguisher to be legal. I already have. Cdl and health card anyway for work. I doubt anyone will pull over an open trailer or a 3/4 ton towing a duel axle tag with no company markings on it. Just think every 36ft goose has 14k gwv axles and needs a class A

Metcalf Racing
11-04-2010, 03:21 PM
They stopped me for having no company markings. What some guys not getting on here is they look at the sticker in your cab and read it. For example my 1ton 3500 read having a gvwr of 15,000 and my buddy f350 was 12,500

fasthawk
11-04-2010, 05:02 PM
So they are pulling over people in 1ton trucks?I have a f250 diesel and I haul way over 10,000 numerous times.My dump trailer,truck,and gravel coming out of hanson gravel in hillsboro scale was 22,873.
If you have a commercial tag on your truck you are who they are looking for.They use the tag on the door of your truck and tag on the trailer for weight ratings, if combined are over 10001 you need to comply.I got stopped and between truck and trailer i am able to be at 30,000 so i needed a class a combination with no air brakes cdl,we got a smaller trailer so i am not over.I was told at the time this does not include personal stuff as in race cars, boats, rvs, and so on.

racingrick
11-06-2010, 04:57 PM
That must be why new F350s have an optional 10,000# GVW rating.