PDA

View Full Version : Tips on starting a new forum

306Power
11-09-2010, 04:30 AM
Been awhile since I've posted here, been trying to set up my own car forum. I'm not looking to advertise what so ever on here, wont even mention the sites name. I'm just curious if anybody has any tips on getting more activity with it? It's a local based car forum that me and a few buddies created a month or so ago. It probably isnt the most appealing to the eye yet as I'm pretty new to working with things like this. If you have any tips or suggestions I would gladly appreciate it. If you do wanna know the site name to check it out and critique it or just join you could PM me and I'll send you the link there. Dont wanna make anybody upset about advertising on the actual forum. Thanks!

Katmandu
11-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Is it a any make/model forum ?

Check out what the guys up North here have going on.

www.SRDayton.com

Gene
11-09-2010, 01:14 PM
The way that Vinny and Co. got the word out for Stangbangerz was by putting business cards with the site's name on cool looking Mustangs around town. Then he organized a couple of cruise-ins, dyno days, that sort of thing to get people to meet each other in person, and once the membership reached a critical mass, the site just grew by word-of-mouth.

The other important thing is to give people a reason to come to your site. What does it provide that SBZ, CSS or NKYFBA or whatever doesn't? The signal-to-noise ratio is critical. Stangbangerz grew because people liked what people were saying. If you don't have that, no one will hang around for long.

k062693w
11-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Stangbangerz grew because people liked what people were saying. If you don't have that, no one will hang around for long.

:bigthumb

306Power
11-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Is it a any make/model forum ?

Check out what the guys up North here have going on.

www.SRDayton.com

Yeah I'm trying to make it for anybody into cars period... Hondas, Mustangs, Diesels, Camaros, and etc. I guess in a sense that's what I'm also trying to say that it would have over most other sites in this area (Not saying it makes mine any better, just different). I never thought about putting flyers or cards on nice looking cars around here, thats a great idea really. Shouldn't be hard for me to reach out to a lot of people that way since it's any make or model. Thanks guys.

sean
11-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Dont forget motorcycles dammit.

jack90gt
11-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Dont forget motorcycles dammit.

:bigthumb

sean
11-09-2010, 05:17 PM
lol.. I am already a "long time member..." Looks like it will be a fun place

306Power
11-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Haha yeah, motorcylces definitely! Actually just got my bike temps last week myself.

lxenvy
11-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Yeah I'm trying to make it for anybody into cars period... Hondas, Mustangs, Diesels, Camaros, and etc. I guess in a sense that's what I'm also trying to say that it would have over most other sites in this area (Not saying it makes mine any better, just different). I never thought about putting flyers or cards on nice looking cars around here, thats a great idea really. Shouldn't be hard for me to reach out to a lot of people that way since it's any make or model. Thanks guys.

U will have a clash of the cars, Meaning v8 guys and ricer guys. Always a big power struggle between the 2. I myself dont care as long as its fast. Just my opinion:bigthumb

306Power
11-10-2010, 03:14 AM
U will have a clash of the cars, Meaning v8 guys and ricer guys. Always a big power struggle between the 2. I myself dont care as long as its fast. Just my opinion:bigthumb

I could definitely see that happening, I'm the same way if it's fast it's fast and I can respect it. I'm hoping to have a little bit of friendly rivalry with people on the site such as call outs between each other and what not, yet not to the point where we cant all put together decent shows together in the future and have fun at little meets together.