PDA

View Full Version : 4.6 3v vs 5.0 4v

firestang70
11-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Several people have been asking me what I thought about the difference between the cars. Some of it is difficult to remember. I had 465 rwhp manual tranny FI car to a NA 365 rwhp (rough guess) bone stock auto tranny car. But here is some initial notes and observations. The 06 was a deluxe GT with the only options added were side air bags (still just an option for 06) and the charcoal interior upgrade. The 11 is a base GT with just the auto tranny added.

Exterior- This is a stickler for some and rightfully so. Front I think the 2011 is more aggressive but think the v6 fascia looks better than the GT fascia. The 2006 was more retro.

Hood- Hands down the 2011 is better. The plain 2006 hood was just that, plain. I do think the Steeda race cowl on my 06 was a better piece than the stock 11 hood. I have not noticed any hood shutter that I experienced with my 06.

Front fenders- Again the 11 has nice sculpted lines, very muscular. The 06 fenders were very nice as well. I would call that a tie.

Doors- Can't see or notice a difference.

Rear fenders- I much prefer the rear fenders on the 11. They arched much like the 69 and 70 fenders.

Rear- Stock to stock there is no comparison the 06 looked much better. Pony and muscle cars are supposed to have short over hangs with squared of rears.
I am wanting to do the Saleen kit. It actually makes it look more like the 05-09 rear end. and really improves the rear angles on the car.

Interior- The 11 is more modern looking interior but keep some retro touches. materials are improved. I have a base Gt, my 06 was a Deluxe (same as current base) but I had added the charcoal int upgrade. The cloth material looks more durable but preferred the pony on the 06 gt cloth. The rear seats are more comfortable with the head rests. The rest do take up room in the rear view but they do fold down. The base steering wheel sucks and has no business in the car ( I will be adding an upgraded steering wheel along the way). I added take off leather in my 06 compared to the 11 there is no comparison. The 11 leather looks much nicer and better stitching. This I will also upgrade at some later point. I preferred the styling of the 06 but the 11 uses much better material looks more upscale.

Handling- To compare I drove my sisters 08 Gt that has just lowering springs and all else is stock for comparison. The 11 feels more nimble and the EPAS (electronic steering so no "pump") is very nice and not noticed. the car feels more planted. Not sure on rear end tweeks but rear axle feels better planted. It does not get spooked in mid corner with bumps as the 08 or my 06 did. I have the base 18 wheels and tires. The 11 is quieter but seems to have more tire noise in the car. It sounds strange and hard to explain.

Braking- I will also use my sisters 08 as comparison. My 06 i put v6 brakes on the front to use 15" drag wheels for the track. To all 05-09 4.0 owners the GT brake upgrade si worth it, night and day difference. Now stock GT ot GT brakes, the 11 is simply better. I believe the 11 has a 1" larger rotor than the previous model. Brakes are nice and controlled.

Transmission cant make a comparison. My 06 was a manual with 3650 with different clutch.flywheel and shifter. The 11 is the auto. With that I am pleased with new auto, it is very smooth. I love manuals but thought this would work better for the whole family and more consistent with bracket racing. There is a little lag on WOT downshifts (that I know a good tune will eliminate). I will hopefully add a 3k stall at a later time. I think this was a good option.

Engine- No comparison the new motor makes over 100 more hp than my 06. The thing just keeps pulling all the way to redline. I still keep waiting for it to shift and look at the tach and it hasnt hit 7k yet!!! I have noticed the 5.0 stumbles a little at start up and idle when cold where the 3v was always very smooth ( I hope a tune will smooth up the idle). The exhaust tone ( way too quiet for me lol) stock to stock the 5.0 seems a little deeper and a little more "tuned". Both begged for aftermarket parts. My 3v with aftermarket exhaust and blower sounded COMPLETELY BAD ASS. I really miss the sound. The 11 will have an upgraded exhaust later.

Under the hood- No comparison. The 06 engine looked horrible with no intake cover and nasty stock valve covers. The 11 engine cover looks great,valve covers look more fitting. The radiator cover goes across the whole front and not skipping over the headlights. Spark plugs changes look like they might be a little more tedious now but cant say for sure. Havent been underneath the car to see if oil change will be any easier or difficult.

Price wise ( I get A plan on Fords) the 11 was about 3k more. Now with the 11 i got an auto but had a $1000 rebate. The 06 had the int upgrade was about $600. So the new car was about $2500 more. It was worth the extra increase.

Something that chaps my butt is the ordering options. On the 06 the int upgrade was a 600 (close but cant remember the exact price). Great budget upgrade added the my color,aluminum shifter,door handles, charcoal dash insert (looked like carbon fiber) upgraded steering wheel and upgraded door inserts. For the 11 you have to upgrade to a premium which is a $3K dollar jump. Ridiculous the Mustang is supposed to be an affordable sports car, I sent them a letter as a concerned loyal customer. I have pruchased 4 new ford products in 5 years and think thats crazy. Overall I have really enjoyed the car and put over 500 miles on it in less than a week. So there my personal take comparing the two. Hope that might help someone considering both.

Stangman
11-11-2010, 01:02 PM
I still want to go for a ride in it, lol never been close enough to a new 5.0 yet...

306Power
11-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Great write up! I've yet to even see a new 5.0 out in real life other than showrooms and dealer lots.