PDA

View Full Version : Water Heaters....

cobraman302
11-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Anyone have experience with tankless water heaters? I woke up to a leaking water heater today...no fun. :rolleyes: So I am considering getting a tankless water heater but afraid of getting one in my price range that wont be able to keep up with water flow. I have a 2 full bath home, water heater is natural gas too. Any thoughts/advice on this? I know they are more expensive, but no idea on what gallon per minute flow rating I would be looking to get. Thanks for any help you can give me on short notice.

RACEME
11-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I have read that as they age they tend to get full of corrosion and fail. I will be researching them more here pretty soon as we are getting ready to build a new house.

facemelter71
11-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I will never own a tanked water heater.I have a tankless electric one in my house now.Its about at tall and wide as a piece of paper,probly 3 or so inches thick.I hjave a some what small house and it sits near the bathroom and some what near the kitchen.It takes it a few second to reach the kitchen sink,but other than that,it will burn your skin off if I turn it up more than what it is.

silverstang
11-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Once you get a tankless you will never think about going back to a regular water heater. I have a friend that is a plumber and does a lot of tankless units on the side for a good price. Let me know and I will see if he is interested.

cstreu1026
11-12-2010, 03:17 PM
I hear the gas ones are pretty damn nice but a friend of mine who is an electrician installed a bunch of electric ones in an old warehouse that converted to condos and he said ever single resident complained aboutht them. Andy is actually the first person I have seen say something good about the electric ones. I will definitley consider getting one when its time to replace the current one. If we ever bild another house its going to have a tankless water heater and geothermal heat. Hell I might even put up a small wind turbine because of how much I dislike the local utility companies...especially Vectren.

Dirtyd0g
11-12-2010, 03:35 PM
If I ever get sewer so I can put a bathroom in my shop I will be installing one.
Alan

Goldenpony
11-12-2010, 06:01 PM
I went on vacation to Germany & Holland back in 1980. Point of use, tankless is all anybody had.

Blowpastyou
11-12-2010, 07:41 PM
There is alot to consider when getting a tankless.
-How hard is your water? Tankless heaters have a heat exchanger with small passages that can corrode really easy with hard water. If its installed correctly it will have a set of isolation valves on the bottom so you can descale it at least once a year. But descaling kits are around 140 if you buy one yourself, not including solution. And if you have a plumber do it, its going to cost you at least a $125 dollar trip charge plus 40 for solution. ( Thats what I charge anyway, and im still fairly cheap compared to alot of other people)

-Is it in a basement? Do you have access to run the flu out of the ban board and be 4 foot away from any opening windows, and still be above an 8" snow line?

-You have natural gas, but tankless heaters need 3/4" supply, is your gas supply adequate?

Do you have enough water pressure? 50 at bare minimum. Tankless heaters work on a sort of flowmeter. (most of them anyway) The more water it senses your using the more it supplies. Lets say you have 48psi of water pressure, your taking a shower, this drops the pressure to lets say 45.... Someone turns on a faucet, this drops the pressure even more and makes the water temperature fluxuate.

I say go with as big of a unit as your budget allows, you can always have too much, but not enough is a problem. Ive installed 13 Bosch Pro Tankless model 800's, and a couple Rheems, The bosch is by far the nicest, its also a condensing unit. This means that it has a secondary heat exchanger that actually cools the exhaust before it leaves the unit. Allowing it to be vented with PVC vs. catagory 3 stainless steel or double wall stainless steel, both are very pricey and labor intensive to install. I do the pluming installs for all 6 Dayton area Home Depots, if you have any questions, dont be afraid to ask.

Black92LX
11-12-2010, 08:06 PM
There is alot to consider when getting a tankless.
-How hard is your water? Tankless heaters have a heat exchanger with small passages that can corrode really easy with hard water. If its installed correctly it will have a set of isolation valves on the bottom so you can descale it at least once a year. But descaling kits are around 140 if you buy one yourself, not including solution. And if you have a plumber do it, its going to cost you at least a $125 dollar trip charge plus 40 for solution. ( Thats what I charge anyway, and im still fairly cheap compared to alot of other people)

-Is it in a basement? Do you have access to run the flu out of the ban board and be 4 foot away from any opening windows, and still be above an 8" snow line?

-You have natural gas, but tankless heaters need 3/4" supply, is your gas supply adequate?

Do you have enough water pressure? 50 at bare minimum. Tankless heaters work on a sort of flowmeter. (most of them anyway) The more water it senses your using the more it supplies. Lets say you have 48psi of water pressure, your taking a shower, this drops the pressure to lets say 45.... Someone turns on a faucet, this drops the pressure even more and makes the water temperature fluxuate.

I say go with as big of a unit as your budget allows, you can always have too much, but not enough is a problem. Ive installed 13 Bosch Pro Tankless model 800's, and a couple Rheems, The bosch is by far the nicest, its also a condensing unit. This means that it has a secondary heat exchanger that actually cools the exhaust before it leaves the unit. Allowing it to be vented with PVC vs. catagory 3 stainless steel or double wall stainless steel, both are very pricey and labor intensive to install. I do the pluming installs for all 6 Dayton area Home Depots, if you have any questions, dont be afraid to ask.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Also look into the hybrid tanks. GE makes a nice one.

Also remember the tax credit that ends this month i believe.

Blowpastyou
11-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Rheem makes a nice on its called an EcoSense, its all electric, all heat pump, or hybrid. Its nice, and also the only electric heater on the market with an Energy Star rating.

Dirtyd0g
11-12-2010, 09:38 PM
I know this, do not buy a whirlpool unit from lowes!

Blowpastyou
11-12-2010, 09:50 PM
I know this, do not buy a whirlpool unit from lowes!

yea, dont get a gas whirlpool..... electric is OK

Dirtyd0g
11-12-2010, 10:08 PM
yea, dont get a gas whirlpool..... electric is OK

I didn't think about electric, my propane unit has been nothing but trouble. If I paid someone every time it went out I would have bought 5 of them by now, the replacement they finally gave me has been fair, I restart it once a month or so.
Alan

Blowpastyou
11-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Get a GE, Rheem makes them, ZERO problems when installed correctly.

Dirtyd0g
11-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Besides the whirlool I have never had a problem from a water heat under 10 years old or more. Gas units that is, electric need heater eleements and switches periodically. The whirlpool has a huge problem with lint and other debris restricting the airflow and destroying the thermocouple. The newer design has a temperature switch/reset on it. If it pops 2 days in a row clean out the screen on the bottom(sucks to get to I just connect enough hose and blow it out from the inside with my compressor).
Alan