PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones and Plans ??

Katmandu
11-26-2010, 12:59 PM
I've been researching phones/plans and man! The choices are overwhelming!

How does one decipher all this info ?

I'm looking for a Family plan (2 phones), 1 with data plan, minimal texting, around 1400 min/month or so....

Best deal I've seen is w/Sprint.... Unlimited data, text and voice for $129.00/month.

I don't want/need a top-of-the-line smartphone, but what something decent.

What do ya'all recommend ?

jack90gt
11-26-2010, 01:15 PM
We have had sprint for 4 years and really like them. My wife has the new evo phone and I have a blackberry which I am on right now....

Paul408Notch
11-26-2010, 02:07 PM
I have zero issues with Sprint. As far as I'm concerned, the only issue is that they use CDMA technology (same as Verizon), which means they have a shorter battery life, and they aren't able to be used out of the country without a special world phone.

Service is good, cheap, and fast. And on the rare occasions that you don't get Sprint signal, it will pick up on Verizon's. The only company that will touch Sprint on price is T-Mobile, and they don't have anywhere near the coverage.

INSANEBA
11-26-2010, 02:14 PM
I've had verizon for about 8 years now, and have always been happy with their signal. Now they are saying you have to have a minimum 9.99 per month data plan. I'm not digging that at all. Even if I get the same exact phone I have right now without the data plan, I have to get it on my new plan, just because they say so. A co worker just got the LG Octane and said it didnt require the data plan, so I'm gonna check that out...

skeptiq
11-26-2010, 02:33 PM
I have been on Verizon for over 6 years and have had hardly any issues with them. I think Verizon is a tad more expensive than Sprint and the others, but I get a very good discount through my work so it evens out. Also, in the six plus years with them, I can count on one hand the number of dropped calls, so their service gets two thumbs up from me. When I was looking, my brother-in-law had been through all the service providers and he said hands down coverage wise, Verizon beat everyone hands down. I have 5 lines (2 smartphones and 3 regular lines) we share 2100 minutes, unlimited text, smartphones have unlimited data, and I pay $225 per month for five lines which breaks down to about $45 per line. I will state that when my contract is up, I will consider Sprint if I can save some money each month or for the same price have everyone be on a smartphone plan... my buddy has Sprint and seems to have very few issues with them so I would feel confident going with either.

Good luck!
Ben

beefcake
11-26-2010, 11:22 PM
I've been researching phones/plans and man! The choices are overwhelming!

How does one decipher all this info ?

I'm looking for a Family plan (2 phones), 1 with data plan, minimal texting, around 1400 min/month or so....

Best deal I've seen is w/Sprint.... Unlimited data, text and voice for $129.00/month.

I don't want/need a top-of-the-line smartphone, but what something decent.

What do ya'all recommend ?

I believe the $129.99 is only 1500 minutes, not unlimited voice, correct? I just checked their site and that's what i found.

Sprint and verizon are both good. the wife is on sprint, i'm on verizon, i was on sprint too, but wanted a newer phone so i switched to verizon.

if they had 129.99 for both, i'd switch back, but i need unlimited, i use 4000 or more minutes a month.

jack90gt
11-27-2010, 12:03 AM
The wife and i's bill is like 134.00 a month and that is unlimited everything....I had almost 2500 texts last month and i used like 3000 minutes myself......

Katmandu
11-27-2010, 04:11 AM
I believe the $129.99 is only 1500 minutes, not unlimited voice, correct? I just checked their site and that's what i found.I believe you are correct. 1500 min.

i use 4000 or more minutes a month. Hate to see you with a CB radio! :D

jad0087
11-27-2010, 04:17 AM
i got the droid ALLY and i love it, its cheaper then the droid 2 which is 200 after mail in rebated with a 2 year contract or upgrade, while the ally is 50 bucks after mail in rebate, thats what made me get it really, its a good phone with all the same stuff as the droid 2 basically, im on verizon btw