PDA

View Full Version : Tethering/Wi-Fi with your Smartphone.... ??

Katmandu
11-26-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm looking for a way to run (have Internet access) with a laptop away from my house. I don't really want to fork out another $30/month if I don't have to.

PC/USB cards are out. Too expensive at $60/month.

Anyone have experience with doing this ?

89notch
11-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Almost all of the android os phones tether and my iPhone tethers also costs me no additional money.

Katmandu
11-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Almost all of the android os phones tether and my iPhone tethers also costs me no additional money.Cool. How reliable/fast is your connection ?

Can you still use Voice while being tethered ?

jack90gt
11-26-2010, 01:13 PM
My wife has the sprint evo and its a wifi hot spot for up to 8 devices...

89notch
11-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Yea you can use voice while tethering on the iPhone. Speeds depend on the signal strength but are in no way fast

Bluecrew07
11-26-2010, 01:24 PM
so are you guys saying that i can get rid of my internet at home and still get online with my laptop by using my blackberry internet? or am i reading this wrong??

Black92LX
11-26-2010, 01:49 PM
so are you guys saying that i can get rid of my internet at home and still get online with my laptop by using my blackberry internet? or am i reading this wrong??

you can but you will be operating at 3g speeds. No where near the speed of your home internet. Not worth it in my opinion.

If you have an iphone jailbreak it and use Mifi to make your phone a free wireless hotspot or you can USB tether as well.
The program cost $20 but don't pay monthly tethering fees.

Paul408Notch
11-26-2010, 02:01 PM
The 4G on my EVO gives me sustained 8 meg download and 1 meg upload speeds. (Peaks on the download are even higher) The download is about half of what time warner is, but the upload doubles theirs. I doubt I'll get rid of my roadrunner any time soon since I'm a pretty heavy internet user, but it would be a good option for someone who only uses the internet for occasional daily use or something.

mwaller5672
11-26-2010, 02:42 PM
My daughter has a palm pixie that works as a hot spot. Problem is her phone gets hot when your using it. It's verizon

adragon72
11-26-2010, 06:27 PM
you can but you will be operating at 3g speeds. No where near the speed of your home internet. Not worth it in my opinion.

If you have an iphone jailbreak it and use Mifi to make your phone a free wireless hotspot or you can USB tether as well.
The program cost $20 but don't pay monthly tethering fees.

That's interesting how do you jail break an iPhone?

89notch
11-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Www.limera1n.com for iPhone jailbreak. Then add tetherme through the cydia app for 2.00 to tether for free

adragon72
11-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Cool thanks

347sc
11-26-2010, 09:11 PM
I use easy tether on my Droid

Katmandu
11-27-2010, 03:47 AM
If you have an iphone jailbreak it and use Mifi to make your phone a free wireless hotspot.Does the smartphone act as the MiFi or do you need an extra stand-alone device as well ? :confused:

347sc
11-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Virgin mobile has a MIfi with unlimited data that's pretty cheap. Google that and see if it meets your needs

clueless_racing
11-27-2010, 12:48 PM
my palm pre plus has wifi and it works great.i pick up wifi signals on it in the weirdest places lol.

Katmandu
11-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Virgin mobile has a MIfi with unlimited data that's pretty cheap. Google that and see if it meets your needsWill do.

BTW, I just bought a needy friend of mine a Virgin Mobile Pre-paid phone yesterday. Can't get the damn thing Activated. :mad: I called the 1-800 # (to INDIA) and they've yet to get it fixed. A couple more hours of me waiting for them to call back and it's getting returned. :mad:

Black92LX
11-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Www.limera1n.com for iPhone jailbreak. Then add tetherme through the cydia app for 2.00 to tether for free

does tether me requires a USB connection?

Does the smartphone act as the MiFi or do you need an extra stand-alone device as well ? :confused:

The iphone itself is the hotspot nothing more needed than jailbreaking the phone and the program. aside from whatever you are wanting to run off the wireless signal. Essential it turns your phone into a wireless router and you connect any device that has wifi capability.
You can also tether directly by plugging in a device with a USB port.

I use it most when we are traveling the hotspot gives my wife's iPod touch full capabilities since one can plug a USB cord into it and she doesn't have to use my phone to surf the net or whatever she may want to do.