PDA

View Full Version : A&P Mechanics

Dipstick
12-03-2010, 04:09 PM
I am starting school in January to get my A&P license and was wondering if there are any people on here that currently have them?

draggin50
12-03-2010, 04:27 PM
I do. Where you planning on going to school? I`ve had mine for a few years now and I have worked on everything from Regional Jets to now I am working on 767, 757, 727,737, DC9, and MD80`s. I like the work and make decent $. Good luck. There are plenty of jobs out there but you may have to travel to get good exp. If ya need anything just PM me. I still have all my old books and other training stuff.

94tchikinv8
12-03-2010, 08:58 PM
I do. Where you planning on going to school? I`ve had mine for a few years now and I have worked on everything from Regional Jets to now I am working on 767, 757, 727,737, DC9, and MD80`s. I like the work and make decent $. Good luck. There are plenty of jobs out there but you may have to travel to get good exp. If ya need anything just PM me. I still have all my old books and other training stuff.

Do you work at ABX?

My brother in law is an A&P mechanic for PSA Airlines at Dayton airport. They hired him straight out of school and he's worked there about 6 years now. He seems to like it pretty well. The hard part for him was finding a job out of school since everyone wants experience and the only way to get that is to already have a job.

-Rob

draggin50
12-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Yeah I work for AMES which is the new ABX. Who is your brother in law that works at PSA? Thats where I left from to come here. Im sure I know him!

94tchikinv8
12-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Yeah I work for AMES which is the new ABX. Who is your brother in law that works at PSA? Thats where I left from to come here. Im sure I know him!

Brandon Stone. I worked at ABX for five years or so, that's the only place I could think of that would have you still working on DC9s, lol. Hopefully you did the right thing by leaving PSA, ABX had a history of screwing people over. I'm sure you've heard all the gossip, hopefully AMES treats you better.

-Rob

draggin50
12-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Brandon Stone. I worked at ABX for five years or so, that's the only place I could think of that would have you still working on DC9s, lol. Hopefully you did the right thing by leaving PSA, ABX had a history of screwing people over. I'm sure you've heard all the gossip, hopefully AMES treats you better.

-Rob

Yeah I worked with him for a while. We always had fun there at PSA. I started out as a mechanic there and then took a lead spot. They play alot of childish games there too. I just happened to know a guy who got me on at AMES and I actually enjoy it here. I know alot of the old guys that was laid off and came back are still disgruntled! I guess its hard to leave $33 and hour then come back for $20. Sure would make me unhappy too! So far the work is steady and they keep picking up. We seem to get new contracts about every month and have started doing passenger planes now. The DC9`s are going away pretty quick but we still get the Blue Jackets, Dallas Mavericks, and Detroit Redwings DC9`s. Its heavy experience so thats what everyone looks for anymore.

redfirepearlgt
12-04-2010, 12:01 PM
I spent 8 years in avionics in the USN @ Miramar working on F-14 Tomcats and E2C Hawkeyes. Would have loved the opportunity to have gotten my A/P license while in, but unfortunately my position (NEC I think it was called) did not align with my rating in a manner that I could do so. I worked in the capacity of AT though I was an AE. Most A/P for AE's was flight line related and I never got near there except for the occasional in plane box check. Anyone know where a guy could use this 8 years experience to obtain an A/P license in Cincinnati? Is there an on line process? I travel 40-70% with my current position. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks and have a great Christmas.

draggin50
12-04-2010, 01:00 PM
If Im not mistaken there are a few places that offer the 1 week crash course if you can provide the necessary paper work that you have qualifications. Ill see what I can dig up.

redfirepearlgt
12-04-2010, 01:23 PM
If Im not mistaken there are a few places that offer the 1 week crash course if you can provide the necessary paper work that you have qualifications. Ill see what I can dig up.

Would need to know the quals as well. Been a long time since I worked avionics. My safety wiring technique is a bit rusty! LOL! Thanks.

Timido
12-04-2010, 08:51 PM
I got my A&P when I was in USAF as a Crew Chief. Back then they crossed your Job number and years in for your test slips. When I got out of the Air Force they didn't want to pay much of anything for apprentice. I went to Ford Assett program and started out making good money at the Dealer.

Dipstick
12-04-2010, 10:32 PM
I was in the Navy and have powerplants experience. Just need to get the airframes. I worked on E2C Hawkeyes also I was east coast. I am doing my course work at Sinclair in Dayton.

tcorns
12-04-2010, 10:33 PM
10 years for abx. got laid off and never looked back. trying to avoid it if possible. and yes it sucks to go from 30+ an hour to 20. especially when i was just an insuarance policy! i know guys that have done it all over the world in the past and are currently still going.

trev

draggin50
12-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Yeah I dont blame ya! I havent been put in the position to make that much and then get laid off. I would be very sour!! A few have came back and there seems to be new old timers comin in as contractors now. I feel for everyone who lost there job at that place. My wife was one.

tcorns
12-05-2010, 01:29 AM
the contractors are coming back for the money. they offered me a shit ton of cash and real good money on the hour. really thought about doing it for a few months while the wife is on maternity leave. would have been a great boost to the bank account.

draggin50
12-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Hell yeah! If ya do look me up. I work 2nds for Joe Gall. Money is better for contractors. I have to have the insurance though.

DSSKing68
12-05-2010, 02:22 AM
I've been an A&P for 22 years. Worked for Delta as a flightline mechanic for 17 years. Left in 2006. A&P licenses carry a lot of clout in many different industries other than Aviation. Good luck! Plan on moving and working f'd up shifts and days off. The money isn't what it used to be, but still pretty good depending on what your doing and who you work for.

tcorns
12-05-2010, 11:51 AM
the shift thing is a definate pain in the butt. i have no clue how many holidays i was away from the family. alot of my time was hanger line and flight line. hanger line was anything that the flight line guys could not fix inside of 60 minutes. so we did tons of major structural repairs. my wife also had issues with outbase trips. it was not uncommon to get maybe an hour or so notice that you were flying out to some other city to work on a plane.
if you are single, have no family, and want to travel this could be a great time. i know guys that been to saudi, japan, central america and many other countries for 6 month contract jobs and come back with tons of cash! i know tons of guys that were hired to many other career fields with their a&p and were promoted very quickly.

raisinjack
12-06-2010, 06:28 PM
hey-DSSKing68, where did you work for Delta at?

DSSKing68
12-06-2010, 07:26 PM
ATL and CVG

Timido
12-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I dont miss that flightline crap when it is this cold out. At least the garage I work in is heated.

DSSKing68
12-07-2010, 09:46 AM
I dont miss that flightline crap when it is this cold out. At least the garage I work in is heated.

I agree....the older I get the less tolerant of the cold I am.

And I hated working on holidays and weekends when my family and friends were off.....

Dipstick
12-09-2010, 04:57 PM
So the money is still good? Is it hard to find a job right out of school? I'm tired of doing the factory thing i have been the second shift team lead for 4 years now where I am at , and I'm not going back to driving a truck. What other kind of jobs do people with A&P's get hired for?

raisinjack
12-09-2010, 07:31 PM
ATL and CVG

does the name Werner ring a bell?:eek::lol:

tcorns
12-09-2010, 09:24 PM
ames in wilmington is begging for people. not sure on any of the details.

draggin50
12-10-2010, 03:25 AM
Yeah we are busy as shit right now. Had 1 contractor get walked out tonight but he was a slug! Had 1 speed and that was slow! I think PlaneTechs and STS are still hiring for AMES.

DSSKing68
12-10-2010, 09:56 AM
does the name Werner ring a bell?:eek::lol:

Why yes, it does....LOL PM me