PDA

View Full Version : Any electronic repair techs out there?

Goldenpony
12-03-2010, 09:05 PM
I am replacing a Yamaha high power AV receiver (HTR-5590) because it has a problem. It's about 7-8 years old. They call it "The Big Dog". It has a problem, after playing a while it will shut itself off. I have a working remote with it, even the owners manual. If you'd like to come and get it and see if you can fix it, you can have it free. It might not be any good, but it might just need a cheap fix and you'd have a great piece of equipment. PM me if you want it.

Blackout
12-03-2010, 09:29 PM
sounds like an overheating issue. You might need to take the cover off and make sure that the chip boards are clean. I have seen where dust will isulate the board and cause it to overheat. Just a suggestion.

Goldenpony
12-03-2010, 10:02 PM
I thought about that. I took the cover off and things actually looked pretty clean. I have also noted if I tap on the case while it is runniung, it will go off. Seems to be from the vibration. I'm guessing in might just be the main power relay going out. I've got a new unit on order, so if anybody wants to take a shot at it---

BigBadStang
12-04-2010, 02:39 AM
More often than not, a faulty thermal protection switch will cause it to go into protect mode (shut down, or kill the output). If you can find a schematic, the switch is just soldered to the board, and can be replaced. You should give it a try...maybe you can get it fixed and sell it, or keep it for a garage receiver?

Paul408Notch
12-07-2010, 01:50 AM
I'd take it and look at it, I just have no idea when I'd be able to get up your way.

Goldenpony
12-08-2010, 01:20 AM
I have my new receiver, so if anyone wants the old one, it's now available.

bestracing
12-08-2010, 02:51 PM
I have my new receiver, so if anyone wants the old one, it's now available.

Are you near the I-275 loop? I work in Mason and could pick it up around 4:30-5:00 during the week if you need it gone.

Goldenpony
12-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Somebody came and picked it up. Thanks everybody.