PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Italy

Bluecrew07
12-05-2010, 10:09 PM
So i was thinkig about planning a trip to Italy.. was wondering if anyone has ever been over there. Whats it like and stuff.

cstreu1026
12-05-2010, 10:16 PM
My wife and her mom were there during a European tour through Insight Tours and loved it. My Mom and Dad were there on a cruise a week later and thought it was OK. I came to the conclusion that it all depends on who you go with.

Bluecrew07
12-05-2010, 10:25 PM
How long did they stay over there? Anything is better than Ohio lol i need a break from this place

cstreu1026
12-05-2010, 10:55 PM
They were gone 15 days total but only in Italy for 5 or 6 days.

BlazinEagle
12-06-2010, 02:32 AM
I went there 4 years ago with my wife. I spent 14 days in rome and just traveled outside Rome on day trips. It was a great time and by far the best vacation I have ever been on. Check out a tour company called Viator(not sure on spelling). We used them for our day trips. Also keep an eye on the exchange rates. If you know you are going buy all the euros you can when it is the closest to 1:1 as you can get. I got screwed and it was almost 1 euro for every $2 for me.

cob5043
12-06-2010, 05:13 AM
I m in the Army and stationed in Italy. Its a beautiful country, and lots of fun. The only problem is the exchange rate as others have said. It gets very expensive over there.

Black92LX
12-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Italy was a fantastic trip.
What time of year do you plan on going??
We spent a lot of time in your major cities like Rome, Florence, Venice, Bologna (worst large city in my opinion filled with hippy college folk that stay drunk and destroy the city with graffiti). Only time I felt remotely unsafe was there.
We also spent a lot of time in the small non-touristy areas and towns. You get much more feel to the true culture. You get looked at funny and not everyone will interact with you but there are still plenty of friendly people though very very few speak English in these areas unlike the bigger cities.
These smaller cities were in and around the Abruzzo region with the capital of L'Augila. We also spent a lot of time in Scanno which is on Lake Scanno. What a great little town, beautiful. We stayed at a Hotel I believe it was called The Park, it's right on the lake with beautiful rooms and a great access to the lake. Only problem is the walk up to the town is very much that UP HILL.

We also did a little more venturing and rented a van in Italy and put it on a Ferry in Pescara Italy and went to Split Croatia and proceeded to Medjugoria Bosnia. What a beautiful place to visit and food is very very very cheap.

The one thing that was the greatest thing we did was at the Vactican, during the day it is quite busy and loud while the architecture and beauty of the city is amazing it is much more serene at night.

We walked the main street to the Vatican at about 2am in the middle of the main road. There was no traffic, so noise, sure the pure beauty and power of the city.

An experience that I will never forget.

Bluecrew07
12-06-2010, 09:29 PM
I think we are going in March April time. i kinda wanted to see a bunch of places while i was over there.