PDA

View Full Version : winter car question

skeptiq
12-06-2010, 11:22 PM
This weekend I finally cleaned the garage out to put the vert in. I just changed the oil but was wondering if there was anything else I should do. I plan on running it once a week for half an hour or so. Is there anything to do to tires to keep them somewhat fresh since they won't be used for a few months?

Later
Ben

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-06-2010, 11:29 PM
IMO, don't start it. Just leave it alone. If you have good coolant in it, just leave it sit there until it's time to bring it out. Starting it up, even if you let it warm up, just builds moisture and condensation everywhere and that'll lead to rust/corrosion. Just let it sit. Hell, it's garaged, that's more than most cars get.

sean
12-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Battery tender isnt a bad idea. But I drive my toys year round if its nice. I wash it once a week and thats that. For a long period of time I would start it once a week and let it run for 30 to 45 min and sit behing the wheel like your driving like a mad man..lol I dont get the wheels off the ground but I have some really thick tire shine I use so the tires dont dry out. I also keep the windows cracked a little so I dont get any stale or strange smell in there.

jad0087
12-06-2010, 11:53 PM
I've heard that tire shine actually dry rots tires....true or no?

skeptiq
12-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Should the wheels be off the ground?

Later
Ben

CNTLOSE
12-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Fill the tank up and put in some Stabil fuel stabilizer. For a few months the tires will be fine on the pavement. Disconnect the battery and a battery tender is not a bad idea, but probably not needed if your battery is good. Open a box of Armor Hammer Baking soda and put it on the floor to help with moisture. Do not start the car and let it run for a few minutes. As stated above this is a waste and will promote rust in your exhaust. I store my SSP's from Nov. to Apr. every year like this, so if you do the above you will be fine.

Timido
12-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Battery Tender and test your coolant strength.

CNTLOSE
12-07-2010, 12:08 AM
I've heard that tire shine actually dry rots tires....true or no?

It does not help...but your tires will wear out before it does any major damage. What you want to keep it off of is your window and door seals. It will break down those rubbers much sooner than if they are left alone.

jad0087
12-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Alright ill have to keep that in mind.....I usually don't put it on my tires for winter cuz I always thought that

02gt
12-07-2010, 07:26 PM
If your like me your tires never have a chance anyways lol

marauder
12-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Depending on the time you'll be storing it, it doesn't hurt to chauk it up and not use the e-brake if it's a manual. Keeping the e-brake on too long will be a headache.

Battery tender, oil change, stabil (and run long enough to get it into the system), are all good ideas, you can inflate the tires a little more than normal to prevent flat spots from sitting.

There are a lot of write ups, but for just a couple months storage you'll be fine. The biggest concerns people have actually come from people who store for years at a time and not from a season of hibernation.

facemelter71
12-07-2010, 08:10 PM
As stated above,if its sitting for more than a month,dont start it.Just leave it sit.

Mine sat under a cover for a couple months,I never started it,just kept the battery on a tender and let it sit.It had some tire shake from sitting in a gravel driveway but other than that,it was fine.

87stangbbb
12-07-2010, 08:22 PM
i recommend getting in it every couple days and doing a huge burnout in the garage

skeptiq
12-07-2010, 08:33 PM
i recommend getting in it every couple days and doing a huge burnout in the garage

Doing this one for sure!!! :bigthumb

facemelter71
12-07-2010, 08:56 PM

Ill second that. And it also gives you a reference spot on the concrete where to park it.

mustangboy
12-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Someone explain to me why you change the oil before you park it. I would just wait and change it before you fire it up in the spring.

facemelter71
12-07-2010, 09:02 PM
After being subjected to combustion gases,condensation and atmosphere oil can become corrosive.
Not like battery acid,but after time,it can wear parts out pretty damn fast.

marauder
12-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Change Oil

Change the oil and filter of your car and RV before you place them in storage in Scarborough. Leaving oil inside the engine will lead to its corrosion. Used oil is known to contain moisture, acids and other combustible byproducts which when left over a period of time lead to the corrosion of the engine.

After removing the used oil, fill up more oil and then take your vehicle for a drive for a few blocks. This will ensure that the oil is properly circulated within the vehicle components.

Before leaving your vehicle in storage, do not forget to put a teaspoon of oil into both the cylinders. For this, you will first need to remove the spark plugs. Putting oil inside the cylinders will prevent the formation of rust inside them.

From http://www.articleclick.com/Article/Vehicle-Storage-Tips-For-Scarborough-Storage/1361669

I just copied because I'm too lazy to type all the scientific mumbo-jumbo. lol

I'd suggest Marvelous Mystery Oil for the cylinders if you're really that paranoid. I don't do that step.

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I never understood wasting an oil change before storage either but people constantly argue against me so who knows. Seems like a waste since you're gonna change it again before you bring it out. If the old oil is corrosive, why not just drain it out and leave the pan dry and then fill it before you bring it out?

Stangman
12-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Shoot I just let em sit til I'm ready to drive em again. My Mustang II sits for... well... it sat for 2 years and fired right up to bring it home, and so far it's sat for another year or so. I can jump in fire it up, let it run all day long... and it's still got an old autozone battery in it from like 8 years ago, lol

My '94 sat for about a year when the front end was banged up. But it was just fine. It sits again now since I have a truck as a daily. Both cars fire right up with no issues. And they sit outside :(

The Mark Viii might be another story with it's current issues...