PDA

View Full Version : Driving in the snow

Blackpony
12-07-2010, 11:21 AM
It's the same fucking shit you drove in at the beginning of the year, nothing has changed, why do people act like it's the first fucking time you've seen this shit. I stand behind my belief that all people that drive in the snow should go through a drivers course up north where it really snows. And i won't even begin to discuss ignorant SUV drivers, really just because it's a 4 wheel drive vehicle doesnt mean your gonna have a better advantage when it comes to speed. Days like this make me wish i lived back up north, atleast their they know how to drive.

marauder
12-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Good all season tires, or snow tires, are a must. 4x4 may get you moving, but you wont steer or stop any better ...in fact probably worse due to the weight.

The sheep around here haven't mastered rain, so they're years away from snow driving.

Pitbull1052
12-07-2010, 12:35 PM
I've always driven a Mustang in the winter until this year and now I have a 4x4 and I can tell you they do steer better I was trying to get it sideways today in my neighborhood and you really have to force it and even then it's easy to control........ and as far as stopping I even tested that just so I know how it (1994 S-10 Blazer) would react since I havent had ABS ever and doing 35 it took me about a car length and a half as where in my Stang I'd still be sliding right now.........

marauder
12-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Yes, snow tires on a 4x4 would be the ideal thing to have. I didn't mean to generalize 4x4 that much, but meant to say that a 4x4 will have an advantage to a 2wd on getting going, but without the right tires nothing will really do that well. Throw good snow tires on a mustang and it'd go just as well. My brother runs continental extreme winter contact tires on his BMW and he was backing up his driveway pushing snow with his rear bumper and never once got stuck, I tried to pull out in my Silverado and got stuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqvS0gOemr0

Watch that video on the ice testing.

Blackpony
12-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Snow tires would be a helpful thing to have when driving in the snow. Most of my life has been spent living in Chicago and when i went to collage it was in South bend Indiana. I never had snow tires on my vehicles nor did i know anyone that had them, and never had an issue with driving in this weather. I dont even consider this bad driving conditions.

Pitbull1052
12-07-2010, 02:04 PM
when I had my Supra I use to run Blizzak's on it and it was really good in the snow but nothing like 4x4....... I'm ready for it bring on the snow!!!!!! I want a few feet!!!! lol

Stangman
12-07-2010, 02:22 PM
I hear ya Jim... people are idiots around here.. the road wasnt even bad when I went into work today! I coulda drove the GT if I wanted to!!

marauder
12-07-2010, 02:32 PM
I am so glad I have the ability to work at home when I want to...I just don't drive on rainy/snow days anymore because I hate sitting in traffic for 1.5hr to go 22 miles.

Pitbull1052
12-07-2010, 05:19 PM
2 hours to go 31 today

facemelter71
12-07-2010, 08:14 PM
I dont sit in traffic.I drive down medians.

Of course,they put a halt to that with the new cable dividers down 275.This outta be good.

DeckerEnt
12-07-2010, 08:28 PM
I have always driven larger vehicles. My current one is an 05 Expedition. 4x4, 5.4, heavy. I have found that when it is in 2wd, I can do pretty tight doughnuts. When it is in AWD or 4wd, the doughnuts are wide swooping ones. As far as driving in snow, the exped goes anywhere, stops normally, and rarely slides sideways unless I am trying to make it do that. I have common sense though.
I think it is the duty of everyone who has to drive in snow to go to an empty parking lot and find out what your car does in snow. See what it feels like to spin out, slide sideways, go round and round. Then figure out how to get control again. Call it practicing if a cop ever stops you. I did. LOL

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-23-2010, 03:32 AM
I had Blizzacks on my XR4Ti and compared to radials it was night and day..and they were about wore out too. It would still get squirrely when the boost hit but it was much more predictable in how it handled. Ive had a few experiences with under steer in the Cherokee but a lot of that is because it has a crazy tight turn radius..if you lock the wheel to one side sitting still on dry pavement the front tires will hop because they're almost sideways. If you turn in too much in snow they'll break loose and slide but going slow it'll go through anything.

The Festiva is a beast in snow..im thoroughly impressed. As long as you dont get in anything really deep it goes like 4wd but being lowered it drags easy. Gotta love fwd with most of the cars weight on the front tires and skinny pizza cutter tires. If it had snow treads and sat higher i'd take it offroad lol.

93snake
12-23-2010, 03:38 AM
....The Festiva is a beast in snow..im thoroughly impressed. As long as you dont get in anything really deep it goes like 4wd but being lowered it drags easy. Gotta love fwd with most of the cars weight on the front tires and skinny pizza cutter tires. If it had snow treads and sat higher i'd take it offroad lol.

:rofl: Now thats funny!

Dirtyd0g
12-23-2010, 03:48 AM
I have a theory that license tests should only be held in good snowfall. Make people drive a 1 wheel drive small pickup truck with less than 500lbs of weight in the down bauer road and back, if they get stuck they don't get their license. Who cares about parking, any idiot can do that at .2mph. Make em actually have to drive like they have some common sense, I think busses would be become considerably more popular
Alan

93snake
12-23-2010, 03:54 AM
Amen brother , a driving test that really makes you drive! :bigthumb

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-23-2010, 06:09 AM
I'd look like Ken Block in that bitch...hold onto your hat driver's ed instructor this aint my first rodeo!

fasthawk
12-23-2010, 10:03 AM
It's the same fucking shit you drove in at the beginning of the year, nothing has changed, why do people act like it's the first fucking time you've seen this shit. I stand behind my belief that all people that drive in the snow should go through a drivers course up north where it really snows. And i won't even begin to discuss ignorant SUV drivers, really just because it's a 4 wheel drive vehicle doesnt mean your gonna have a better advantage when it comes to speed. Days like this make me wish i lived back up north, atleast their they know how to drive.

Which one would you choose:screwy:

JET50213
12-23-2010, 10:42 AM
My 95 Benz is fantastic in the snow....much better than my wife's front drive Mazda!

Kevin1989
12-23-2010, 11:12 AM
I have a theory that license tests should only be held in good snowfall. Make people drive a 1 wheel drive small pickup truck with less than 500lbs of weight in the down bauer road and back, if they get stuck they don't get their license. Who cares about parking, any idiot can do that at .2mph. Make em actually have to drive like they have some common sense, I think busses would be become considerably more popular
Alan

lol thats what i do every snow fall, my ranger is fine in the snow you just have to know how to control it. and not drive like an ass hat.

jack90gt
12-23-2010, 10:13 PM
I drive a 2000 chevy silverado ext cab 4 door and it plows through the snow when its running... Lol

jack90gt
12-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Snow tires would be a helpful thing to have when driving in the snow. Most of my life has been spent living in Chicago and when i went to collage it was in South bend Indiana. I never had snow tires on my vehicles nor did i know anyone that had them, and never had an issue with driving in this weather. I dont even consider this bad driving conditions.
Where did you go to school at???? Notre dame? St. Marys?

big cheif
12-24-2010, 02:33 AM
I borrowed my mother-in laws accord monday.WORST FUCKING CAR I HAVE EVER DROVE IN THE SNOW! I live in mt.orab and work in owensville. It took me like 40 min to get home. POS would slide at anythig over 20 mph. took my78 2wd truck out with no problems( other than a streched timing chain). Imo weight has a big factor, as does the tread on the skins.:bigthumb

05yellowgt
12-24-2010, 02:29 PM
A lot of retards have forgotten the fine art of engine braking when it comes do driving in slippery conditions. With just about everyone and their mother driving slush boxes these days they slam on the brakes going down hill too late and at that point it is too late. Another thing I've found when driving my CC F150 4x4 and my Dad's Snow Tank aka Turbo Diesel 4x4 Excursion is that they both turn better in snowy conditions by using the gas going around corners. It causes the front tires to drive forward and bit into the snow and turn the corner better. If I just try to turn when either braking or coasting around a corner I'll push through, where as she'll bite and turn if I give it just a bit of gas.

Seems as if either most people around here have summer induced snow driving alzheimer's or they simply drink that part of their brains into submission over the summer.

nsaniti
12-25-2010, 04:29 AM
let me re assure you that I would take cincinnati snow drivers over phoenix rain drivers any day of the week. if we get a good rain you can bet on a 60 car pile up on the i-10

Dirtyd0g
12-25-2010, 10:35 AM
I have been in vegas during rain, it is insane. It rains there so rarely the roads are covered with oil when it rains, it is as slick as ice.
Everyone seems to like front wheel drive in the snow, give me rear wheel drive any day.
Alan