PDA

View Full Version : Is there really that much differance between a 2.3 and a 2.3 Turbo

mwaller5672
12-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Thinking about buying a turbo. Plain and simple-is it worth it.
Mike

Ranger50
12-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Classic answer: "It depends."

What exactly are you asking?

Brian

Dirtyd0g
12-20-2010, 02:43 AM
I can answer this one, YES. Without the turbo a turbo motor will be a slug at 8:1 compression, without forged pistons the NA motor will die quickly under boost over about 9lbs. If you are wanting to turbo a NA motor be conservative. Rangerpowersports.com is a good source for information, as well as turboford.org
Alan

Whyucryn
12-20-2010, 02:51 AM
I can answer this one, YES. Without the turbo a turbo motor will be a slug at 8:1 compression, without forged pistons the NA motor will die quickly under boost over about 9lbs. If you are wanting to turbo a NA motor be conservative. Rangerpowersports.com is a good source for information, as well as turboford.org
Alan

So if I run 8lbs with a pt88 it'll be ok?

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-20-2010, 03:28 AM
Yeah, the difference between NA and 15-20psi on a turbo 2.3 is disgusting. It's literally like comparing a 5.0 to a 2.3 since the '85 SVO made similar HP numbers as the '85 5.0, just a tad bit less torque but you can easily make up for that with 3 inch exhaust and a big intercooler and a few more PSI.

Dirtyd0g
12-20-2010, 04:08 AM
I will say that has been done many times, knowing if yours will be ok or not is a whole different thing. Proper tuning will be key and of course listening for detonation and knowing when to let out.
Alan

Black92LX
12-20-2010, 10:17 AM
factory turbo motors can be had for cheap and run forever, just buy one.

supercab78
12-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Mike the turbo engines are not a plug and play. Even on a 4 cyl car. You'll need to repin your old harness at the ECM end for the other turbo one. IAC plug is different, you may be able to use your IAC though. There are other things different also. Make sure you get the BROWN top injectors with it. If you get all the plug leads off the donor car it can be done with alot of research and time. The 87-88 TC engines were rated at 190 hp. If you have a stock auto trans it may not hold up for long. To answer your ? yes there is a huge difference between a stock 4 and turbo 4. Your gas milage will go down because you'll be wanting to spool up the turbo just for the fun factor. Mine is nothing specail mustly stock but if you'd like to drive one you can come out and drive mine.

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-20-2010, 06:42 PM
For what it's worth, the ECU itself is a lot easier to "re pin" than the wiring harness, and once you do it right you can go back and forth between the different computers if the need arises, which is likely considering either the VAM or ECU is likely to crap out at some point and they're not that easy to find.

mwaller5672
12-20-2010, 08:42 PM
I might be asking for a mess. I have a 93 5.0 without an engine or transmission. I have a regular 2.3 with a 5 speed that will be a pain any way. I already changed the wiring harness to the 2.3. I might be better off with a 5.0 but then I need a transmission. I was thinking the turbo would work with the transmission. it sounds like the turbo could be a mess. I did buy the factory manual off ebay so I have that to back me up.
Mike

Carl
12-21-2010, 01:40 PM
You have to add the oil drain for the turbo, NA engines are not forged, and the wiring is a lot different. Just get your hands on a turbo car and to the swap, it's not too hard.

Black92LX
12-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Mike the turbo engines are not a plug and play. Even on a 4 cyl car. You'll need to repin your old harness at the ECM end for the other turbo one. IAC plug is different, you may be able to use your IAC though. There are other things different also. Make sure you get the BROWN top injectors with it. If you get all the plug leads off the donor car it can be done with alot of research and time. The 87-88 TC engines were rated at 190 hp. If you have a stock auto trans it may not hold up for long. To answer your ? yes there is a huge difference between a stock 4 and turbo 4. Your gas milage will go down because you'll be wanting to spool up the turbo just for the fun factor. Mine is nothing specail mustly stock but if you'd like to drive one you can come out and drive mine.

It will be plug and play very very soon!!!!
http://stinger-performance.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=products&action=display&thread=1062

mwaller5672
12-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks everyone for your response. I decided not to tackle this. I most likely will get a 5.0 and a transmission rather than putting in a turbo.
Thanks Again
Mike

BLOWN86CAPRI
12-21-2010, 10:40 PM
i have a complete computer(lb3)repinned 84 2.3 turbo wiring harness,big vam,brown tops,fuel lines,255 forced induction pump,84 svo,head,intake,fuel rails aswell,im building a 2850 big turbo set up with accel dfi injection to tune it so i wont need any of the old parts,if they will help shoot me a email,good luck

pegasus
01-12-2011, 12:19 PM
factory turbo motors can be had for cheap and run forever, just buy one.

yeah there is a turbo coupe for sale just pick that one up

Rick93coupe
01-12-2011, 02:00 PM

This is a joke right? If your talking about a stock 2.3 4cyl, your gonna need 2-3 wastegates to get the boost that low and possibly a leaky manifold.