PDA

View Full Version : metal urologist on here?

djom1cincy
12-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Check because I have a question about chromium 6 and a s.s. cooking grill with it being in the news.

motox159
12-22-2010, 01:25 AM
I work for a chemical company, I'm not a chemist and really not the brightest crayon in the box but I do know that chromium is the most toxic/hazardous metal we deal with. I'll see what I can dig up for ya

Paul408Notch
12-22-2010, 07:57 AM
I think you mean a metallurgist.

A metal urologist would be interesting though. :rofl:

djom1cincy
12-22-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm a welder so I know its toxic and you shouldn't breath the fumes. I was wondering with all the s.s. cooking stuff out there if its toxic to cook with it. I made a nice s.s. cooking grate for my grill during the summer with s.s.angle and mesh screen. I was just hoping I'm not killing myself using it. I looked on the epa website and it says inhalation is bad but ingestion isn't. I was just wondering what someone thought of this. Thanks.

djom1cincy
12-22-2010, 08:08 AM
I think you mean a metallurgist.

A metal urologist would be interesting though. :rofl:
A few beers and Google search didn't straighten me out. I could have just ask my ball urologist.

Dirtyd0g
12-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Is a metal urologist better or worse than a metal proctologist? Someone find out and fill us in, I'm too big of a wuss to go see either one. I did see a urologist once and he cut my balls up.....it had to be done.
Alan

Black Horse
12-22-2010, 10:36 PM
If I remeber my information correctly, Chrome and Stainless steel have a strong molecular bonding property (one reason chrome is use to plate steel for wear properties). Under extreme high heat (like welding) portions of the material vaporizes creating the hazardous environment.

I would think using chrome or stainless in a backyard BBQ type grill you would have very little risk of heating the material to the point it would transfer into whatever you are cooking. Now if you are using coal and bringing the metal up to cherry red you may have issues.

Now piss into a cup and we'll see if you have any trace metal!

bkstang95
12-23-2010, 08:04 PM
I could be wrong but I believe the material you used will have to be RoHS compliant to not have chromium in it...I'm not a urologist of any kind :lol: But am in the metals business...see if you can track that down...hope this helps you out some.

djom1cincy
12-23-2010, 08:16 PM
I grabbed the mesh and angle from the shop. It would be a miracle to track down the paper work on it.

bkstang95
12-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I am doubting it is compliant...it's a bitch to get the material in small quantities...when my accounts ask for it, I politely tell them "go fish" :lol:

But, for an example...if you look on the back of your microwave or your kitchen appliances it will say RoHS compliant...this is why! haha