PDA

View Full Version : on3performance?

firestang70
12-24-2010, 11:41 AM
I have a buddy that may be getting one of these turbo kits for his Mustang. I have not heard much about them. He asked my opinion and said I would post up a thread. So anyone know the quality, customer service, etc?

bangingears
12-24-2010, 11:51 AM
this is basically the ON3 forums.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=312

draggin50
12-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Here is one I started this spring. I was really interested in one as well. I talked to Chad and he was going to give me a hell of a deal on the kit but I ended up selling the car. Seems like a real cool guy to deal with.
http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60923&highlight=turbo

05yellowgt
12-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Mike Bell installed one or two of those kits I think. Maybe he'll be able to provide some feedback. I've heard good things generally about them.

Rich
12-24-2010, 02:35 PM
People on the Corral.net love them and the folks at turbomustang.com hate them.

Generally, you get what you pay for but I have no first hand experience with them.

cstreu1026
12-24-2010, 05:24 PM
HawksWR37 has one on his 99+ GT that I got to take a look at when it was at Dayton Performance. It's not quite Hellion quality but it is also far from Hellion pricing. I think for what you pay its a pretty nice kit.

NXcoupe
12-24-2010, 05:57 PM
My sentiments exactly. They fit pretty well, seem to work well and are low in price. There is a quality difference, but you get what you pay for. An on 3 kit with all the upgrades is knocking on the 2k door. A hellion kit is nearly twice that. In the end, they both mount a turbo on your engine and give great power gains. But a mercedes gets you the same place the same way as a 79 fairmont. Depends on what you want.

cstreu1026
12-24-2010, 08:12 PM
I am not sure the Hellion (or other kits) are nice enough to justify the nearly $4000 difference in price.

orangeconv
12-24-2010, 10:29 PM
I hear they suck google it.

cstreu1026
12-25-2010, 12:42 AM

It is what it is, a $2000 brand new turbo kit. You could take the $4000 you saved over buying a Hellion or HP kit to fix any short comings and still have a vary large chunk of change left for other stuff.

HawksWR37
12-25-2010, 12:58 AM

Hearing and knowing are two different things. Everybody has there own opinion but I own this kit and couldn't be happier. I probably should have gotten forged internals first (hindsight is 20/20 lol ) but i was truly surprised at the quality of the kit for 1600 (because i drove to cbus and paid with cash) where as the supercharger and hellion kit i were researching were approaching 6k+. they give you everything you need except for injectors,Maf, and fuel pump because most people buy it on there own or already have it. My kit went on like a dream and the only hard part was getting two seperate pipes to line up into the y pipe. The kit has been great and im putting it on my 5.4 now. If you have any questions just let me know.

orangeconv
12-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Shoot some picts. I researched it yesterday and wasn't impressed. I was thinking hell for the price I could sell my vortec and go turbo for minimal amount of money

cstreu1026
12-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Hearing and knowing are two different things. Everybody has there own opinion but I own this kit and couldn't be happier. I probably should have gotten forged internals first (hindsight is 20/20 lol ) but i was truly surprised at the quality of the kit for 1600 (because i drove to cbus and paid with cash) where as the supercharger and hellion kit i were researching were approaching 6k+. they give you everything you need except for injectors,Maf, and fuel pump because most people buy it on there own or already have it. My kit went on like a dream and the only hard part was getting two seperate pipes to line up into the y pipe. The kit has been great and im putting it on my 5.4 now. If you have any questions just let me know.

I thought some of the flanges and joints should have done a little differently but for the price of a tricked out nitrous kit its hard to beat it. For what you saved over the base Hellion kit you could have a pretty nice long block built too.

CNTLOSE
12-25-2010, 05:01 PM
I thought I read recently they were way behind in getting people their kits lately...like months behind. It would have been either the Corral or allmustangs.com I read this at.

Just FYI...

2Kblacksleeper
12-25-2010, 06:36 PM
I read b&G was behind on ttf.

First I've herd about on 3.

CNTLOSE
12-25-2010, 08:04 PM

I could be wrong...name just sounds familar to me with that article. I imagine a good google search will pull up any negative dealings people have had.

5.0calypso93lx
12-25-2010, 08:05 PM

Brian makes most kits to order, unlike On3. On3 is chinese made. They don't warranty anything but the hotside when you buy the kit with the standard turbo.

2Kblacksleeper
12-25-2010, 08:19 PM
I completely agree that B&G is a better quality kit and uses better parts.

I would rather have a B&G kit. I am thinking about just slapping on an on3 kit to the fox I'm picking up monday just to increase the fun factor.

I would go with B&G when i get my 351 I'm planning out in a few years to be the heavy hitter.

This is just to have fun in the mean time.

On the other hand i know someone selling there hot side off of a 94-95. Would there be any differences in the Sn95 over the fox on the hot side? How hard would it be for me to have someone plumb in a intercooler and finish the cold side? Also expected cost?

Thanks

John

HawksWR37
12-25-2010, 10:44 PM
I thought I read recently they were way behind in getting people their kits lately...like months behind. It would have been either the Corral or allmustangs.com I read this at.

Just FYI...

I'm not sure about this, easiest thing is to call them and tell them you'll pick it up. They most likely would have it waiting for you And you could save a few on shipping.

Brian makes most kits to order, unlike On3. On3 is chinese made. They don't warranty anything but the hotside when you buy the kit with the standard turbo.

They do warrant there standard turbo for 1 Month, but for not that much more you could upgrade to the Master Power 70mm and its warranted for a year. There wastegate and blowoff valve are Knockoffs but mine worked just fine and came with everything. but if you wanted you could talk to chad and tell him you dont want either of them and he would lower the price and you could buy your own?

2007ShelbyCobra
12-26-2010, 01:42 AM
I did some light researching a while back, and pretty much heard you get what you pay for. there were a fair amount of complaints about odds and ends that didnt instal just right, or little things that needed to be purchased. Also, I beleive it was the header that had problems with welds cracking... but im not positive. To sum it up, I was pretty interested in getting a kit for a 4.6 DOHC motor, but after seeing a lot of reveiews, decided there was too much risk with this kit if you have a tight budget. But if I had more room to play, id would have bought it for sure.

2k for a kit and say 600 for any potential trouble > 5k for a kit of better quality

Should also throw in many cars require a UPR K member for the kit to fit, and it turns out they are working on a bracket to support the turbo due to the stress on the exhaust piping.

penceracing
12-26-2010, 05:39 AM
sounds like to me the kit is junk a not worth it lol....

draggin50
12-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Well its just like anything else and has been said already, You get what ya pay for. I know Denny has installed 1 or 2 and what he has said. Id still buy one but upgrade to the Master Power. For the price you couldn`t buy anything else to make that kind of power unless it was a used supercharger or another turbo kit.

Aweasel
12-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Kudos to the guy who makes a street monster with the least money invested, knowledge and motivation are a powerful tool...bleh to the guy who rolls in to the speed shop, swipes his credit card based on what the expert says and rolls out bragging about his numbers.

on3 isn't hiding anything, they're selling a comprehensive kit for a jaw dropping price. If you wanted to take the time to figure out what the hell you're doing you can have a 450rwhp foxbody, with decent car included for $5,000. This kit just made FI that much more accessible to the fox body world. I sure as hell don't have 6,000 to spend on a turbo kit and wouldn't period...on the other hand $1800-2000 really starts to look like a bargain.

draggin50
12-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Kudos to the guy who makes a street monster with the least money invested, knowledge and motivation are a powerful tool...bleh to the guy who rolls in to the speed shop, swipes his credit card based on what the expert says and rolls out bragging about his numbers.

on3 isn't hiding anything, they're selling a comprehensive kit for a jaw dropping price. If you wanted to take the time to figure out what the hell you're doing you can have a 450rwhp foxbody, with decent car included for $5,000. This kit just made FI that much more accessible to the fox body world. I sure as hell don't have 6,000 to spend on a turbo kit and wouldn't period...on the other hand $1800-2000 really starts to look like a bargain.

Thats what Im talkin about! Make that much power for around $2000 any other way!!

cstreu1026
12-26-2010, 04:35 PM
sounds like to me the kit is junk a not worth it lol....

I wouldn't say that at all. You do get what you pay for and then some. Its $4000 cheaper than a single turbo kit from Hellion, $4500 cheaper than a twin kit from HP, and at least $2500 cheaper than the cheapest new blower kit. If you want top notch quality be prepared to pay for it and in the case of HP you had also better be prepared to wait. I have heard of guys waiting 6 months or more for a turbo kit from them. Just don't expect top notch stuff for a third of the price.

Walter
12-26-2010, 04:36 PM
If its so easy then everyone should be doing it.

orangeconv
12-26-2010, 07:32 PM
I had an hp twin 57 kit. I don't recommend @ all. Drain back issues and quality of pipe was not to par

HawksWR37
12-26-2010, 10:47 PM

Thats going in my signature lol

Da Natti
12-26-2010, 11:31 PM
I have seen a on3 kit in person I would not mind laying down the coin for one bg is nice too main point of view for me is stainless steel piping!

Kevin1989
12-27-2010, 01:43 AM
i know Blackout has one on his car, im suprised he hasnt chimed in. As for the needing a k member for it to fit... is that true?

HawksWR37
12-27-2010, 02:10 AM
on foxbodys you do not have to but on 4.6 kits you do have to.

Galaxie
12-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Has anyone ran a Pony Down kit ?

orangeconv
12-27-2010, 11:13 AM
That's what everyone has suggested when I looked @ the on3 is the pony down.

tmotorsports
12-27-2010, 02:30 PM
i got an on3 kit on my car i just upgraded to the master power 76MM with the maf from on 2 had right at $2000 in the kit.I like it.my builder bitched about the fitment some and the V-band clamps are not all that good you may have to get a few better ones but not replace all of them.my last turbo kit was mostly chinese that we pieced together off ebay and bough master power turbo for it and i had a little more in it than buying the kit from on3

Blackout
12-27-2010, 02:54 PM
I have the kit on my 02 GT. Seems ok, I am just going to redo some of the piping though. I know that the Pony Down kit uses the stock K-member for the sn-95's. I am not sure about the rest. The kits all also use mild steel.

The on3 kits are good but there are some of the piping should be fitted a little better. I am currently getting my car converted to an auto and am in the process of cutting fitting some flex pieces in to the piping. It's definately worth the money in the long run.

firestang70
12-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the input guys.