PDA

View Full Version : Got a Hangover this AM ? Here's some help....

Katmandu
01-01-2011, 07:08 AM
Drink LOTS of Gatorade today to get your electrolytes back in balance and eat a baked potato to help with your stomach!

Hope your feeling better!

Happy New Year!

Off to the salt mine I go.... :rolleyes:

firestang70
01-01-2011, 03:14 PM
No hangover here. Was supposed to be in at 0600 this morning on shift. Took a nap yesterday evening so I can sit thru New Years with the wife and kids. Woke up at 9 last night with monster diarrhea and vomitting. I was up all night. Feel like I got hit by a freight train. Hope everyone had a better New years.:(

jack90gt
01-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Me and 3 buddies went through 4 cases of bud light... Woke up feeling alittle crappy and popped open a beer at 730 am and feel great now...

djom1cincy
01-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Lots of water before and after.

fastone
01-03-2011, 07:37 PM
One of the worsest things to do is drink regular Gatorade. Makes you pee more so there fore you get dehydrated. Then starts an ugly down hill run. Pedi-lite is actually better to drink. Most people that call the ambulance when I ask them, drank gatorade. Gatorade actually has alot of sugar in it..... just my .02

Drink LOTS of Gatorade today to get your electrolytes back in balance and eat a baked potato to help with your stomach!

Hope your feeling better!

Happy New Year!

Off to the salt mine I go.... :rolleyes:

fastone
01-03-2011, 07:38 PM
And of course, myself, its normally an 18ga with 1000cc normal saline to fix my hangover, also maybe some zofran too.:lol:

Katmandu
01-03-2011, 09:32 PM
One of the worsest things to do is drink regular Gatorade. Makes you pee more so there fore you get dehydrated. Then starts an ugly down hill run. Really ? Never heard that one before. What is the chemical component contained in Gatorade that gives a person diuretic effect ?

Most people that call the ambulance when I ask them, drank gatorade. Gatorade actually has alot of sugar in it..... just my .02 I'll be you any money that the majority of people that consumed large amounts of Gatorade (for a hangover and ended up calling an ambulance) were DIABETICS.

When a diabetic consumes large amounts of sugar (or High Fructose Corn Syrup FYI, the main component of Gatorade), this will severely spike their blood's glucose levels.

When a diabetic's glucose gets too high, the body will start to excrete more urine in an attempt to flush out the excess glucose. Hence, the diuretic effect.

So yes, in the case of a diabetic having a hangover, PEDI-LITE would be a much better (and SAFER) choice. :bigthumb

fastone
01-07-2011, 02:58 PM
I would say out of ten people that drink this while being ill, not hung over or diabetic, 7-8 of those people end up dehydrated. I don't know what the chemical make-up of gatorade is making this happen. And between my full time and part time place, I probably come in contact with about 1500 patients a year at least. I understand where you are coming from with the diabetic side of things, but even a non-diabetic if they drink alot of gatorade they will have a higher urine output. Which will in turn start causing a big electrolyte enbalance, which will cause more problems most of the time. Alot of the ER docs down in NKY are now telling pts to drink pedi-lite. I have heard of gatorade G2?? it doesn't normally cause as many problems.

pegasus
01-07-2011, 03:30 PM
And of course, myself, its normally an 18ga with 1000cc normal saline to fix my hangover, also maybe some zofran too.:lol:

X1,000

Katmandu
01-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Alot of the ER docs down in NKY are now telling pts to drink pedi-lite. I have heard of gatorade G2?? it doesn't normally cause as many problems.That's interesting. G2 is definitely a better hydra-tor than the original stuff. I'm guessing it's due to the high content of the High Fructose Corn syrup. Basically the same as drinking regular pop or Mt.Dew to rehydrate. Ain't gonna happen!

Anyways, I don't miss my hangover days! :D