PDA

View Full Version : New Experience-Using a GPS

Goldenpony
01-09-2011, 03:12 PM
In the past I never even considered I'd need a GPS in my car. Recently, I started a new job as a delivery driver for lease cars. I found all the drivers are using GPSs. I was amazed how well they work, even the basic models. I have a Garmin model 1390T ordered from Amazon.com, total was only $159.95. I can see how, on a driving type vacation (which my wife & I love), this thing will be fantastic.
Even an "old dog", like me, can learn new tricks. :)

djom1cincy
01-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Welcome to the modern technology. It will make travel so much easier. My cell phone has bailed me out many times with gps on it. I never leave home lost.

Mista Bone
01-09-2011, 04:34 PM
I've thought about getting one but a mini notebook and wifi card would be just as good.

Both are tax deductible for me :)

Pops Fun
01-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Hi Jim
There pretty nice... enjoy my friend

Goldenpony
01-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Found out you can get custom voices for Garmins. Obama, Capt. Jack, George W. Bush, Eric Cartman, etc.

Mista Bone
01-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Homer Simpson......

sean
01-09-2011, 11:42 PM
They are great to have. I use mine to run accounts and repo but I have noticed I dont learn a darn thing about where I am going or how to get back... lol

djom1cincy
01-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Found out you can get custom voices for Garmins. Obama, Capt. Jack, George W. Bush, Eric Cartman, etc.

That would be cool. Mine sounds like a real bitch when you go a different way and it says recalculating.

Goldenpony
01-10-2011, 10:40 AM
That would be cool. Mine sounds like a real bitch when you go a different way and it says recalculating.

Yea, I know. My friend calls his "Bitch in a box". If you want to check these custom voices out, it's at: pigtones.com

2Kblacksleeper
01-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Reminds me of the bob and tom skit about this. Lol

INSANEBA
01-10-2011, 11:38 AM
That download site is cool, but for $10 I'll just imagine it lol... I did like the George W sound clip though lmao!

bestracing
01-10-2011, 11:40 AM
They are great except when you have low satelite reception and you are out west on some back roads with no one around for miles.....

Had this happen once but if you can read a map and know directions pretty well you can get yourself back to civilization :D

Dirtyd0g
01-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Worthless in Chicago, the roads stacked on top of each other it has no clue where you are. Mine likes to tell me the wrong side of the road for some reason.
Alan

beefcake
01-10-2011, 11:56 AM
the sync turn by turn directions works good 2, even though you don't have a map, it's still a pretty nice system.

skeptiq
01-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Reminds me of the bob and tom skit about this. Lol

Heck yeah "NAG-a-gator"

LOL, funny stuff!

Ben

84stang
01-10-2011, 03:24 PM
I still bless the day I gave my wife her GPS. She used to call me all the time and ask where she was. I never had any idea. She uses it all the time. They are the best thing ever for the directionally challenged. :)

inferno50
01-11-2011, 07:32 PM
I know a guy who tried to use one for a dirt track and it took them to the po box instead. But they were close at least.

85_SS_302_Coupe
01-11-2011, 07:53 PM
I'll be the first guy to admit that i suck with directions and usually get lost. Once i've been somewhere a few times i can get there by memory no problem but it always seems i get preoccupied and miss a turn or something, so GPS is like a gift from the heavens for me.

BigBadStang
01-13-2011, 12:33 PM
...I have noticed I dont learn a darn thing about where I am going or how to get back... lol

This is so true Sean! I know people that drive all over the place with them, but w/o them, don't know how to get around.

They are great except when you have low satelite reception and you are out west on some back roads with no one around for miles.....

Or when you take it off the cradle to program it for the next leg of a trip and the damn dog steps on it, breaking the touch screen digitizer, rendering it useless whilst in the deepest hollers of southern Kentucky. That was an interesting journey!
Now, I always keep a good 'ol map for backup when travelling!