PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something on these trailers?

beefcake
01-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I've been looking at used trailers. Everyone seems to be wanting 5000-7000 for used trailers.

i see this for $6900 in black or $6500 in white brand new.

Extra door, finished inside, cabinets, compared to single door used with no cabinets, no floor, etc on the used ones...

http://www.trailershopper.com/page-26504.html

I talked to the guy yesterday, he said it's "tube" built vs how 95% or so are made, he said

I don't know trailers so forgive me.

And this guy is $3850 new (4700 with 5200lb axles and mag wheels with e load tires)

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1516/Motorcycle_Trailers/post/2073038/8.5X24-ENCLOSED-CARGO-TRAILER-CAR-HAULER.html

Are these good deals, or are both of these busted brands looking at the specs?

Jeff88coupe
01-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Do a search on yellowbullet on trailers. For the most part you get what you pay for. You definatly want the bigger axles and 16" tires if you can. The 15" tires..even E rated don't hold up well when hauling 10K+#'s. That first trailer you listed looks pretty nice for the $$.

beefcake
01-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Do a search on yellowbullet on trailers. For the most part you get what you pay for. You definatly want the bigger axles and 16" tires if you can. The 15" tires..even E rated don't hold up well when hauling 10K+#'s. That first trailer you listed looks pretty nice for the $$.

I did, and thats what i'm saying, guys want 5-7k for stuff that doesn't seem no where near as nice.

i'm wondering at what wait you need d.o.t. crap though...

INSANEBA
01-12-2011, 01:37 PM
I did, and thats what i'm saying, guys want 5-7k for stuff that doesn't seem no where near as nice.

I know a truck over 10k lbs(dually) has to be dot'ed, and you have to go thru their red tape. I'll ask Fastnotch2002 about his. He just upgraded to a 18ft enclosed, and paid under $4k for it. I just got pics of it today, he picks it up next weekend. I run 12-14ft enclosed for the bikes, matter of fact I just bought the one he's replacing lol...

cstreu1026
01-12-2011, 01:38 PM

I don't think you need anything special unless you are haulling something comercially. Hell I saw tractor trailer set up to haul race cars that was licensed as an RV so you didn't need a CDL to drive it.

beefcake
01-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I don't think you need anything special unless you are haulling something comercially. Hell I saw tractor trailer set up to haul race cars that was licensed as an RV so you didn't need a CDL to drive it.

my truck is a single wheel 250 with an 8800 gvw rating

cstreu1026
01-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Well as long as you don't go plastering with commercial logos that would attract attention I don't see any reason to worry about it.

beefcake
01-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Well as long as you don't go plastering with commercial logos that would attract attention I don't see any reason to worry about it.

thats what i'm thinking,

the dealer that bought my busa last month got hit hard by the dot guy that sis on 125, no numbers, but had a business logo

cstreu1026
01-12-2011, 02:47 PM
I would say 99% of racers at the track on on any given weekend don't have CDL's, including those driving toter homes pulling stacker trailers.

Gene
01-12-2011, 03:26 PM

The states (especially Ohio) are cracking down on that stuff as well. If you have sponsorship on a car, or race for money, they'll consider is a commercial enterprise and you can get ticketed.

Do a search over on Yellowbullet...there are quite a few threads discussing trailers and DOT rules and such.

cstreu1026
01-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Well I can't say I blame them for cracking down on people. Truthfully I don't know why they don't have some sort of RV license for folks who don't drive commercially but who drive very very large vehicles.

Gene
01-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Well I can't say I blame them for cracking down on people. Truthfully I don't know why they don't have some sort of RV license for folks who don't drive commercially but who drive very very large vehicles.

I agree 100%. It's pretty scary that some 70 year old Grandpa with no training can drive a bus-sized Class A without any special license.

beefcake
01-12-2011, 03:38 PM
The states (especially Ohio) are cracking down on that stuff as well. If you have sponsorship on a car, or race for money, they'll consider is a commercial enterprise and you can get ticketed.

Do a search over on Yellowbullet...there are quite a few threads discussing trailers and DOT rules and such.

I overheard him say something to the guy buying my bike about racing for money. I guess they have to prove that your going to a race for money.

Smart thing would be no logos on the vehicle.

cstreu1026
01-12-2011, 03:40 PM
not to mention the huge payloads modern pickups are capable of pulling. Anyone can buy a F450 and hook it up to a 25000 pound trailer and the only real equirement is to be able to buy the truck in the first place.

Metcalf Racing
01-12-2011, 03:41 PM
I got raped by the highway patrol because I didn't have my name on my truck. I just had to go get my dot medical card to drive my 1ton

thecollector
01-12-2011, 03:45 PM
If it's not being used as a business enterprise its not under DOT jurisdiction. If the truck, trailer, and car on the trailer are licensed to you tell them to stick it. As long as you don't have an LLC or nonprofit set up to run your sponshorship thru it's just a hobby, if you do then your better off putting a trailer hitch on the mustang for tools and slicks:lol:, or invest in magnetic contignency logo's.

Timido
01-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Most of the trailers you are looking at are 10k GVW thats what you want. If the Trailer GVW is over 10k you are in CDL land.

jccox77
01-13-2011, 08:50 AM
somebody else was talking about this u might have to put a sticker on it also not for hire i am not sure ohio laws are a little different on tags and such i dont technically have to tag a trailer in ky but have been harrased in ohio bc u guys have to tag trailers

Timido
01-13-2011, 10:52 AM
I drove all over the country with a trailer with no plates. Never had a problem. I also had a Indiana tagged trailer that's I borrowed that had expired tags never had a problem. I have never had Any trouble with an open trailer. I an sure with a 2axle enclosed you wont either.

beefcake
01-13-2011, 11:07 AM
somebody else was talking about this u might have to put a sticker on it also not for hire i am not sure ohio laws are a little different on tags and such i dont technically have to tag a trailer in ky but have been harrased in ohio bc u guys have to tag trailers

I've heard that too.

Timido
01-13-2011, 11:52 AM
I would not put any advertising or not for hire stickers on the truck or trailer. If you treat your racing as a buisness tax wise you should have CDL. If it is a hobby and you only claim expenses to offset winnings you are not a buisness. If you claim a loss or gain with your winnings you are a buisness. The big problem with DOT and the highway patrol is the some of the stuff is fed rules and each state has different rules and lengths. Every officer is different..

Gene
01-13-2011, 11:54 AM
If it is a hobby and you only claim expenses to offset winnings you are not a buisness.

If you're claiming expenses, it's a business.

Timido
01-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Just a hobby if you're just offsetting winnings net of 0 to your tax bill. Same as offsetting gambling winnings w documented losses

That is what my financial advisor told me

beefcake
01-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Just a hobby if you're just offsetting winnings net of 0 to your tax bill. Same as offsetting gambling winnings w documented losses

That is what my financial advisor told me

I know when we won $5k on a scratch off years ago. They told us if we had $5000 worth of losing scratch off's, we could wash it.