PDA

View Full Version : Question about removing valve cover gasket.

mustanger
01-23-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm trying to clean up my valve covers and got most of the gasket off, but what's the best way remove the residue that is adheared to the v/c? I've tried scraping but can't get the rest to come off.
Is there something you can use to get off the rest, an easier way...I don't mind a little bit of elbow grease, just a little lost on how to get the remaining off.

Thanks,
Arnold

NXcoupe
01-23-2011, 12:05 PM
I use an air die grinder with a green aluminum friendly wheel on it. A wire wheel on a benchgrinder if used sparingly will also get it pretty clean, or one of those wire wheels for a hand drill. A razor blade usually gets most of it. Then follow up by cleaning all surfaces by spraying some brake clean on a rag and wiping it down till the rag comes up clean.

mustanger
01-23-2011, 12:07 PM
I use an air die grinder with a green aluminum friendly wheel on it. A wire wheel on a benchgrinder if used sparingly will also get it pretty clean, or one of those wire wheels for a hand drill. A razor blade usually gets most of it. Then follow up by cleaning all surfaces by spraying some brake clean on a rag and wiping it down till the rag comes up clean.

Ok, thanks for the info :bigthumb

jack90gt
01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
I always used a blade and brake clean........

mustanger
01-24-2011, 06:50 PM
I have a dremel that I used to get the remaining hard stuff off, came off pretty quick. It didn't mess anything up and still has a smooth surface.

85_SS_302_Coupe
01-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Permatex gasket remover and a scraper. Be careful with gasket remover if your covers are painted/powdercoated, it'll eat it right off.

OR, you can shell out $26 at the parts store for some silicone/steel reinforced Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0 valve cover gaskets and never need to use any RTV or gasket sealant ever again and have gaskets that can be reused forever unless you damage them.

mustanger
01-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Permatex gasket remover and a scraper. Be careful with gasket remover if your covers are painted/powdercoated, it'll eat it right off.

OR, you can shell out $26 at the parts store for some silicone/steel reinforced Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0 valve cover gaskets and never need to use any RTV or gasket sealant ever again and have gaskets that can be reused forever unless you damage them.

Those are the kind I have now on my new v/c's:bigthumb