PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a cage...

marauder
01-27-2011, 10:08 AM
I know my car isn't exactly a high performance vehicle yet, but I've always had a fear of a serious accident. Luckily, in my years of driving, I've had 1 wreck that was at 5-10 mph, and essentially repaired with a plastic retainer in the bumper since that was all that had broke. My wife folded a cavalier up when a lady turned in front of her at 35mph...I cruise at 75-80mph on the interstate in my mustang, just breaking a tie-rod end on a pothole could be the last ride I take...and I have broken a tie-rod in a 400hp+ awd car at 40mph once before so I know mechanical failure can happen at the least expected times and hurt like all hell.

Anyway, I don't really have interest in drag racing, maybe autocross or something if money ever catches up with me. My biggest concern is safety when I do decide to take out my baby and run through the gears. Most of the time when I cruise in the stang my wife is with me. We love to cruise. I will run through the gears, but it's not like I drive like an idiot.

I just want added security in the event of mechanical failure, unexpected soccer mom pulling out in front of me, etc...

I've contemplated removing my back seat, which I understand is a must if I plan to have a harness bar which I would like to have.

Are there any drawbacks to having a cage on a street car? Are insurance companies fond of this? Anyone local install and certify? Anything else I may be overlooking? Estimated cost?

djom1cincy
01-27-2011, 10:28 AM
My only fear would be smashing you head on one of the pipes without a helmet if your in a wreck on the street. If that happen then you may cause more injury than if you had no cage.

marauder
01-27-2011, 10:37 AM
I am sure I'll cause more injury entering and exiting the vehicle for that said reason!

Would warpping it in that nerf material help any for that? I'm open to all pros and cons, I'll be poking around on google and the like to find out more info, I have a family member who builds chassis for sprint car outlaws I may be able to get info from as well.

HawksWR37
01-27-2011, 11:17 AM
you can get a 10 piont or less kit from jegs for pretty cheap

marauder
01-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Wow, that's actually very reasonable. Anyone local install these? I can weld, but not enough to trust something like this. If someone is able to install, shoot me a price and example of your work (or if someone can vouch for a person who is known for their quality of work).

306Power
01-27-2011, 12:29 PM
My only fear would be smashing you head on one of the pipes without a helmet if your in a wreck on the street. If that happen then you may cause more injury than if you had no cage.

I would have to agree with that, any one of those pipes could end up being deadly without a helmet or harness on in a high speed wreck.

marauder
01-27-2011, 12:38 PM
So with a harness it may be somewhat safer then? Is it legal to utilize a harness for street driving? Granted, without some form of neck and head protection, a heavy impact would still likely cause serious whiplash.

My primary concern, is that better or worse than a high speed impact with a standard seatbelt and no rollcage?

BTW, Thanks for all the insight folks... I work in an office with people who probably can't change their own oil so this is about the only way I can get answers without spending hours on search engines looking for info when I'm not sure what I need to know to begin with.

87stangbbb
01-27-2011, 12:46 PM
you want a cage in case you break a tie rod.lmfao

BLOWN86CAPRI
01-27-2011, 12:48 PM
My name is Denny i work at k&m welding chassis and fab here in Amelia,ohio,we can do a nice 4 or 6 point cage for you at an affordable price with options that can make it very easy to get in and out of your vehicle,If you would like to talk please give us a call at 513 582 0559 we are at 1395 ohio pike amelia ohio

marauder
01-27-2011, 12:49 PM
you want a cage in case you break a tie rod.lmfao

Thanks for the input...

Not exactly, but when it happened to me before it nearly flipped my car, and almost slid off a big embankment. Was just citing a situation that had happened in the past.

Could be anything, driveshaft breaks, wheel comes off, etc...

I do plan to autocross at some point down the road, but for now is there ANY benefit to safety in an accident by having a cage..that's what I'm getting at.

nsaniti
01-27-2011, 12:50 PM
regular seat belt + cage = bad idea for a street car. your head hits one of those pipes and you're KO'd. The 'nerf' material wont do shit, they do make a padding for roll cages, but its not a soft material at all. If you're going to do a cage, harnesses are a must, and must be worn properly at all times.

There are a few DOT approved harnesses, you could also just leave the factory seatbelts in just in case you got pulled over. However, most harnesses are not DOT approved so if a cop wanted to be a dick, he very well could.

Hope this helps.

JIMS SVT
01-27-2011, 12:54 PM
you can get a 10 piont or less kit from jegs for pretty cheap

Theres a reason they are so cheap. Are you lookin for a roll bar or a cage?

marauder
01-27-2011, 01:01 PM
That may be my problem, not an expert here so may be interchanging the two words?

So far, it sounds like a rollbar and harness would be the best setup for a street application. Like mentioned before, could leave factory belts in just in case any issues came from that. Do these improve or hinder handling at all as a result of a stiffer chassis?

nsaniti
01-27-2011, 01:10 PM
these guys do make very nice DOT approved harnesses, if thats the route you want to go.

Schroth Racing (http://www.schrothracing.com/)

marauder
01-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks again for all the input guys, I greatly appreciate all the responses. I think I have enough info to think on now.

Denny, I have your info now and I'll give you a shout once I'm ready to move forward. Will likely be in early spring.

408COUPE
01-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Theres a reason they are so cheap. Are you lookin for a roll bar or a cage?

what do u mean by that

Gene
01-27-2011, 10:23 PM
what do u mean by that

The fit of most of the mail order cages suck, especially in older cars that have been subject to abuse on the racetrack. Your average Fox Mustang has been being abused on the track for over 20 years at this point...there are very few that are actually straight. So what happens is when you buy a mail order cage, it's bent to whatever Mustang they had that they used to prototype. But it's not bent to YOUR car. That's also why they don't fit as close the to roof and pillars...they're meant to fit all of the similar cars.

If you're going to pay someone to install it anyway, a custom bent cage is usually only a couple hundred more and it's money well spent.

So far, it sounds like a rollbar and harness would be the best setup for a street application. Like mentioned before, could leave factory belts in just in case any issues came from that. Do these improve or hinder handling at all as a result of a stiffer chassis?

You definitely only want a rollbar for street use. A cage is for a track-only car that's only worn with a helmet. Also, if you're planning on autocrossing the car, there are differences in a roll bar for that and one that's made for drag racing. Make sure your cage builder understands the difference.

Your handling will improve with the extra stiffness from the bar, but if you're planning on turning corners with it, there are a lot of things that you will want to do to the suspension to take full advantage of the stiffer chassis.

inferno50
01-27-2011, 10:37 PM
just my .02. dont do it on a car you drive on the street only. its a huge pain in the ass having to climb over bars to get into a car every time you want to go somewhere. i put one in mine and kind of wish i didnt. im not a cage installer by anymeans but mine took me about 40 hours to put a mild steel jegs 8 point in. none of the bars were the right size or fishmouthed right and i had to bend the rear bars because i wanted to keep my backseat. i have been told the wild rides ones are better. i have seen jimsvt's work and its damn nice maybe he can point u in the right direction.

Blowpastyou
01-27-2011, 10:44 PM
This is going to be a street car.....A really safe one at that.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb78/blowpastyou/17a4e477-1.jpg

Squale iii
01-27-2011, 10:46 PM
It's really not that difficult to get in and out unless you're overweight. In that case, I could see some difficulty.

TurboNG
01-28-2011, 12:07 AM

Thats a garage queen not a street car.... Get that shit built and stop changing the build..... LOL

Blowpastyou
01-28-2011, 12:10 AM
The actual build hasnt changed. just the chassis.... It will be out beginning of the year FOR SURE!!!

Maximus
01-28-2011, 12:24 AM
The actual build hasnt changed. just the chassis.... It will be out beginning of the year FOR SURE!!!

Pssst. its NOW the begining of the year.:D

djom1cincy
01-28-2011, 12:43 AM

That's not safe. I see 3 or 4 bars you melon will smash off of it hit in the side. You will be dead from brain injuries. Your car will be ok though.

Maximus
01-28-2011, 12:54 AM
NO, his mullet will save him. :flipoff:

Blowpastyou
01-28-2011, 09:24 AM
lol mullet helmet FTW!

RIXXX93GT
01-28-2011, 10:34 AM
You are definately at risk with an actual cage, they are meant to be used with a helmet and padding anywhere your helmet may contact along with proper restraints. You hit your head on one of those bars in a crash and its not gonna be pretty. I would stick with a roll bar for street duty.

TurboNG
01-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Well since his last running car that made passes his build / chassis / motor / and then some has changed 1billion times......

TurboNG
01-29-2011, 09:55 AM
You are definately at risk with an actual cage, they are meant to be used with a helmet and padding anywhere your helmet may contact along with proper restraints. You hit your head on one of those bars in a crash and its not gonna be pretty. I would stick with a roll bar for street duty.

I have seen where people smash their head on the plastic door pillar and die, if i was meant to die at that moment then i would die, if i didnt then God would just Smit me...

Blowpastyou
01-29-2011, 10:28 AM
I have actually never though about the fact that the cag would hurt really bad without a helmet... But then again it could be a lifesaver aswell

evil8
01-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Cages aren't safe!! Danger Danger.

Gene
01-29-2011, 02:13 PM
I have seen where people smash their head on the plastic door pillar and die, if i was meant to die at that moment then i would die, if i didnt then God would just Smit me...

Yeah, but putting a 1.75" metal tube right next to your skull is like poking the grim reaper with a stick.