PDA

View Full Version : Wireless N routers ?

Rick93coupe
01-28-2011, 12:31 AM
Most devices in my home are wireless save my desktop. We've got 2 laptops and 3 ipods/iphones and a PS3 that all use the wifi. (not at the same time)

I'm having some issues with an older netgear router and was thinking about buying a new one. I've read that N supports faster data transfer and greater range but I was curious if there are problems with communication between older wireless G devices and the N routers? As it is now, I need to reboot my netgear every day or 2 just to get connectivity. My PS3 lags like crazy and I'm hoping to improve that too.

Another thing that has me confused is that, if distance isn't an issue and I have good signal strength, is there really an advantage to buying N yet? My internet is capped at 12mb down and 768K up and I believe wireless G supports 54mbps.

Dirtyd0g
01-28-2011, 01:40 AM
I went through a bunch of routers until I finally did a google search for a good router. I purchased a Dlink Dir655 router and have been using it for 2 years completely trouble free. I actually have 2 of them now one in the house and one in the shop. I have a network switch as well because the cc machine just wasn't working right through the router. I can only open one port for it and it uses several.
Alan

nsaniti
01-28-2011, 01:50 AM
G should be fine, but that high ammount of traffic will take its toll on a router, probably time for a new one. Im going to guess your ISP is roadrunner, terrible upload speeds as always.

Alan, you should easily be able to forward more than one port, if its an issue I can walk you through it, but seems as if you've got your own solution.

Dirtyd0g
01-28-2011, 02:06 AM
I needed the switch to make enough connections anyways. There are lan lines everywhere around here. I hate doing everything wifi, with my setup the lan is so much faster. I have zoomtown.
Alan

89notch
01-28-2011, 09:33 AM
The wirless N routers are typically backwards compatible with b/g you should be fine

Kwik92GT
01-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Didn't really notice a difference when I switched over to a N router when it came to lag with PS3/360. Only thing that helped that was going hard wired with it. Made a huge improvement. Did some port forwarding and made sure my NAT was open also.

Rick93coupe
01-29-2011, 02:21 AM
Got a new N router and the signal us much stronger but still seems to lag. Made a 60' Ethernet cord to hard wire it and it's no better. It's got to be my bullshit TWC connection. My upload speeds are hideous.

nsaniti
01-29-2011, 02:40 AM
upload will always be hideous on twc, but lag issues on game consoles shouldnt be bad on a lan cable. I can help you out if you want?

Rick93coupe
01-29-2011, 02:46 AM
I'm open for any suggestions.

nsaniti
01-29-2011, 02:46 AM
some sort of IM client would be ideal, however .. I havent used playstation online in forever. What servers are you connecting to, to play? It could be something stupid far away, and that would cause lag. with those DL speed you really shouldnt lag. Should ping 40ms to a chicago server, 60-80s to a dallas, and 80s-100 to west coast.

Rick93coupe
01-29-2011, 03:00 AM
115ms to Dallas, 42ms to Chicago. I don't have any IM clients but could get one.

Rick93coupe
01-29-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure how you check the server I'm connecting to, I sign in to the playstation network to play my game. It does seem better with the new router than it was before but I'm thinking my upload speeds are somehow affecting it. If I lived in an At&t area I could get 3mb uploads, so thought of 768kb (that i never get) just pisses me off.

Dirtyd0g
01-29-2011, 02:53 PM
What router did you get?
Alan

Rick93coupe
01-29-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm not sure how you check the server I'm connecting to, I sign in to the playstation network to play my game. It does seem better with the new router than it was before but I'm thinking my upload speeds are somehow affecting it. If I lived in an At&t area I could get 3mb uploads, so the thought of 768kb (that i never get) just pisses me off.

Rick93coupe
01-29-2011, 03:21 PM
ftp://www.edgewaternetworks.com/pub/docs/250series/250_EWN_HIG.pdf

nsaniti
01-29-2011, 04:18 PM
The upload will definitely affect it, I'm not familiar with how playstation does their servers so I can't help there..I do most of my gaming on the pc. Upload shouldn't make it unbearable though, how bad of lag are we talking? Id also try to lower your network traffic while you are trying to play. Bandwidth could also be slowing ya down.

Dirtyd0g
01-29-2011, 04:21 PM
I think he is trying to say turn off utorrent before you play :)
Alan

Kwik92GT
01-29-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure how you check the server I'm connecting to, I sign in to the playstation network to play my game. It does seem better with the new router than it was before but I'm thinking my upload speeds are somehow affecting it. If I lived in an At&t area I could get 3mb uploads, so the thought of 768kb (that i never get) just pisses me off.

Just an FYI, my brother just switched back from AT&T to TW. He went to AT&T with hopes of having better online play because of the better upload and download speeds,but it didn't happen. His ping was a lot worse and that is where a great percentage of in-game latency comes. Also, I had a lot more latency on the PS3 network than I did Xbox Live when I used both with same internet hookup, etc. Not sure why. :dunno: I have a ton of issues now on live with Black Ops though, everyone is. You may be having same issue on your PS3 with that game. Is it just that game or is it anything you play??

nsaniti
01-29-2011, 04:50 PM
I can't speak for the console versions, but on PC blackops is an extremely processor dependent game, so that could be adding to the laggy feeling. I know they have slowly been trying to patch it.

Lol yes alan anything which would be dling or uploading will dramatically affect your gaming.

Rick93coupe
01-29-2011, 04:52 PM
I generally only play at night when everyone else is asleep so there's not any other traffic going on in the house. I'm not seeing any problems streaming movies on netflix, or with youtube videos. My biggest complaint is that when playing shooter games, often by the time I see a person, even if I were in a fixed position bearing down on a doorway, by the time I see them enter a door and I fire on them, I'm already shot. If I watch the kill cam afterwords you can see someone breech the door run in a few steps and shoot me before I even get off the first shot. So from my perspective I got off the first shot, but its almost as if I'm a second behind. Does that make sense?

Rick93coupe
01-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Is it just that game or is it anything you play??

I went from primarily playing MW2 to Black Ops. I rarely play anything else, I keep buying games but never open them..lol.:screwy:

nsaniti
01-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Yea definitely sounds like a lag issue..its a long shot but some hd tvs can affect that also with their response time. Even though its milliseconds, so is your ping. You could possibly try another tv.

Dirtyd0g
01-29-2011, 05:36 PM
I can't speak for the console versions, but on PC blackops is an extremely processor dependent game, so that could be adding to the laggy feeling. I know they have slowly been trying to patch it.

Lol yes alan anything which would be dling or uploading will dramatically affect your gaming.

We played cod2 on 7 computers here and we couldn't play during certain hours due to lag, late at night it worked well. We did have to shut everythign using bandwidth off including yahoo messger and mirc. Even the little things add up. It sucks shooting and being dead before the round hits them.
Alan

Black92LX
01-29-2011, 05:59 PM
There is really only one router to go with you if you want awesome range and one that just flat works.
http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

Install is quick and simple, plus allows for USB printer and drive sharing.

I had a cheap router for years and it was OK got tired of resetting it once a month then it finally died. I wised up paid a little extra money, found a refurb for $80 at www.cowboom.com

Could not be happier.

Kwik92GT
01-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Black Ops is most of the problem. If you go back to MW2 you will most likely see a difference in the two. They built lag compensation into the game to try and help with host advantage. Don't know if this is a problem on PCs but I know they did it on the consoles. They have been trying to fix the issues with hot fixes and patches but so far it seems worse than when it first came out.

I hope they get some of the lag problems figured out soon, game was almost unplayable last night, had all kinds of problems just getting into rooms and then when we did, most were lag fests. lol

Kwik92GT
01-29-2011, 09:40 PM
I went from primarily playing MW2 to Black Ops. I rarely play anything else, I keep buying games but never open them..lol.:screwy:

Me too. LOL I'll try and get the PS3 going again sometime soon and see how Black Ops works on it for me. I know when I played MW2 with you guys the lag was crazy bad in some games compared to what I normally seen on Xbox Live.

Rick93coupe
01-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Tried playing MW2 the other night and couldn't find a room that the game hadn't been hacked, dude's were jumping to the top of 3 story buildings and shooting from up there with unlimited ammo, sort of figured that one was done. I dunno, I'm going to do some research on the delay between the TV and the PS3 when on HDMI. My new tv has a game mode and when it's not on, it's impossible to play.

Rick93coupe
01-29-2011, 09:49 PM
I know when I played MW2 with you guys the lag was crazy bad in some games compared to what I normally seen on Xbox Live.

Damn, you were wearing us out then too!:eek:

BigBadStang
01-31-2011, 01:05 AM
www.clear.com

If it is available in your area, GET IT!
I have it and it absolutely, hands down kicks the shit out of any residential service available around here. I average 6.5-7.0 Mbps download with bursts over 10 Mbps, and consistently get 950 Kbps -1.0 Mbps upload. I get unlimited usage, with no speed cap, and unlimited VOIP phone for $60 a month plus $5 a month for the modem.

As far as routers, I have th D-Link DIR655 extreme N. My laptop has an N card and it connects to the router at 130 Mbps. I have a networked 2TB hard drive that I have a library of DVD format movies and all my music that I stream to the laptop and HDMI it to the TV. I have had this router for over 2 years and it's rock solid, easy to set up and use with advanced settings for almost any need.