PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever wire a generator through the dryer plug

89notch
01-30-2011, 06:22 PM
I know this can be dangerous if not done properly but I only want to have this in an emergency.

From what Ive read you shut all the breakers off including the main.
Then only turn on the dryer breaker and plug the generator into the dryer plug and start it. Then you turn on only the essential breaker I.e heat and fridge.

I'm trying to see if anyone has had success with this or not before I try it. I work 24 hour shifts and dont want to leave her stranded at home with no power for an extended period of time.

evil8
01-30-2011, 06:53 PM
It works. When we had the wind storm a few years ago, my neighbors were without power for a week and a half. I was taking hot showers, enjoying refrigerated food and beverages and watching TV.

I have mine set up a little differently. I have a detached garage that gets its power off of the DP&L meter panel. I feed the house and garage from my welder plug in the garage. That means I can keep my generator locked up and running 24/7 without losing it or disturbing the neighbors. The only drawback is that you have to disconnect DP&Ls meter from the meter panel, so that you don't backfeed the power lines.

NUTTSGT
01-30-2011, 10:19 PM
I believe by code you are supposed to have 2 swtches that break power so you don't back feed. Back feeding can kill a lineman.

Flaming87lx
01-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Do not do it unless your house is disconnected from the meter. It will back feed into the power lines and could seriously hurt or kill someone trying to restore the power.

89notch
01-30-2011, 10:29 PM
I will have it off at the main to prevent it from back feeding. I might pull the meter to be safe

orangeconv
01-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Yea it works but not the best idea. Spend the money and do it right

Dirtyd0g
01-31-2011, 12:15 AM
I turn off my dryer breaker, turn off the main breaker, plug the generator in and start it then turn on the dryer breaker. Unfortunately until i do some massive upgrades to the electrical system of my house this is the only solution I can come up with.
Alan

DSSKing68
01-31-2011, 07:09 AM
Just spend the coin and do it right. A transfer switch or breaker interlock isnt that expensive. One little oops I forgot and now you have a dead or injured utility worker. Do it right or just don't do it. If you can't afford the transfer switch sell the generator and buy some candles and blankets.

89notch
01-31-2011, 07:14 AM
Oh I can afford it but don't have time to put it in. I'm doing a service change to 200a this summer. I will probably put in a transfer switch then. For now I just want something in an emergency.

Jeff88coupe
01-31-2011, 07:37 AM
Kelly...what you stated will work and is safe in an emergency. Just turn off the Main breaker FIRST before you do anything. I basically have the same kind of emergency setup that I can use my 3500W generator that I use at the track. I just have no 22V output on the generator..have to use one of the 120V circuits. So I can only power one side of the circuit breaker panel at a time. But it is enough to keep the furnace blower motor,lights,fridge, and a TV on.

JASON408
01-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Kelly...what you stated will work and is safe in an emergency. Just turn off the Main breaker FIRST before you do anything. I basically have the same kind of emergency setup that I can use my 3500W generator that I use at the track. I just have no 22V output on the generator..have to use one of the 120V circuits. So I can only power one side of the circuit breaker panel at a time. But it is enough to keep the furnace blower motor,lights,fridge, and a TV on.

same set up i used plug with two males ends pluged into a outlet from the the side of the box you want hot and away you go . just got to kill the main and or pull the meter . a 3500 watt gen had the whole up stairs lites on and tv and frig and sat for 9 days after the wind storm a few years ago . fun thing was back after the storm duke told me how to do it but just to pull the meter out

Jeff88coupe
01-31-2011, 09:28 AM
same set up i used plug with two males ends pluged into a outlet from the the side of the box you want hot and away you go . just got to kill the main and or pull the meter . a 3500 watt gen had the whole up stairs lites on and tv and frig and sat for 9 days after the wind storm a few years ago . fun thing was back after the storm duke told me how to do it but just to pull the meter out

Ya..My FIL is a electrician. He made me a male ended cord just to use with the generator. He has a 15KW generator that he powered his whole house and most of his neighbors house with for 7 days after the wind storm. His biggest problem was finding gas stations that had power to get gas for the generator. Jenn and I were out of town on vacation the whole week of the wind storm..so we missed out on the fun.

orangeconv
01-31-2011, 09:46 AM
make sure your main it off for the backfeed.
FYI if your house burns down during this short cut. YOUR INSURANCE WILL NOT COVER YOU. but if you want to take the chance i guess do it.
we did the same thing on my buddys house and my other buddy that owns the insurance company was not happy.

89notch
01-31-2011, 10:13 AM
Insurance covers stupidity haha

Timido
01-31-2011, 08:59 PM
I just run an extension cord to the fridge and a couple lights

Dirtyd0g
01-31-2011, 09:06 PM
That won't get the furnace running, gotta heat somehow. I surely hope this ice isn't very bad.
Alan

pegasus
01-31-2011, 09:33 PM
make sure your main it off for the backfeed.
FYI if your house burns down during this short cut. YOUR INSURANCE WILL NOT COVER YOU. but if you want to take the chance i guess do it.
we did the same thing on my buddys house and my other buddy that owns the insurance company was not happy.

its ok hes going to be a firefighter soon

89notch
01-31-2011, 10:21 PM
That won't get the furnace running, gotta heat somehow. I surely hope this ice isn't very bad.
Alan

It will mine its fuel oil :lol:

Dirtyd0g
01-31-2011, 10:41 PM
I was talking about extension cord to the fridge. I backfeed the dryer plug to get the furnace going.
Alan

Timido
02-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Wood stove works great when its cold out

Dirtyd0g
02-01-2011, 06:16 PM
I want to add a "utility" room to my house to put one in.
Alan

redfirepearlgt
02-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Insurance covers stupidity haha

Insurance doesn't bring the dead back to life because of one's blatant stupidity. The insurance money doesn't bring daddy back to his chidren. Not funny. :nono:

Do it correctly the first time. Just because it has been done with no injury by another doesn't make it proper procedure. Wait and do it right when you add the 200 amp service. You have been this long without it, so what's a few more months?

89notch
02-01-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm only going to do this in an emergency until I can get my service change done. I have done enough research and have made the cord already. Hopefully I don't have to use it but if needed I have it.